Heckingbottom

People forget he was u23 manager at Sheff United before he got their first team job so managing young players and developing them isn't new to him

Experienced in the championship and won promotion from it

Straight talking bloke who understands SAFC as he was here as a lad..

Yes from me
Recent abomination of a season at Sheffield United. Multiple losses over 5-0.

Failed horribly at Hibs and Leeds.

No from me Kristjan.

People forget he was u23 manager at Sheff United before he got their first team job so managing young players and developing them isn't new to him

Experienced in the championship and won promotion from it

Straight talking bloke who understands SAFC as he was here as a lad..

Yes from me
I agree
I think way our club is setup, way we recruit/budget we have etc Heckingbottom is as good a shout as anyone
Knowing the league is important, he ticks that box, works with young players successfully he ticks that box
With exception of Leeds his CV is pretty solid overall with promotions on there also
Is it exciting no, but I do think he’s do a good job just like Mowbray did
Fwiw I think still is nailed on personally, just a hunch. I’m not convinced it would work with him here, nothing he’s done would suggest he’s worth getting overly excited with either
Recent abomination of a season at Sheffield United. Multiple losses over 5-0.

Failed horribly at Hibs and Leeds.

No from me Kristjan.
That trend has continued at Sheff Utd since, anyone who knows the craic there can see it’s a championship squad, they sold their best players in summer
He did really well at Sheff Utd and Barnsley, Leeds granted he was poor but many failed there around that time

Last edited:
I agree
I think way our club is setup, way we recruit/budget we have etc Heckingbottom is as good a shout as anyone
Knowing the league is important, he ticks that box, works with young players successfully he ticks that box
With exception of Leeds his CV is pretty solid overall with promotions on there also
Is it exciting no, but I do think he’s do a good job just like Mowbray did
Fwiw I think still is nailed on personally, just a hunch. I’m not convinced it would work with him here, nothing he’s done would suggest he’s worth getting overly excited with either

That trend has continued at Sheff Utd since, anyone who knows the craic there can see it’s a championship squad, they sold their best players in summer
He did really well at Sheff Utd and Barnsley, Leeds granted he was poor but many failed there around that time
His Sheffield United side was one of the oldest and best paid in the league. Also, see his Barnsley side in League One - they had a squad full of Championship players.
The biggest comparison to here would be his tenure at Leeds whose average age was 22 and he had next to no money to spend.
He lasted 4 months, was sacked with a 25% win percentage then Bielsa came in and got them promoted.

I think the off - field situation he experienced may have affected his earlier managerial experiences.
The ownership at Hibs changed soon into his tenure & Leeds ownership was also not very stable.
Even at Shef United the Arabian Prince was attempting to sell.
I don't think SAFC will get him,by the way.

It'll probably be a foregin coach that is used to working with a DoF. Don't see many English managers that would fit that mould. It's probably be a leftfield appointment that splits opnion.

rimoured equals bollox..
if thats the best you have then sytep away from the thread..
given KLDs business model is to run the club by buying low..selling high...i cant see that model working with giving speakman..who isnt the head of recruitment..a cut..
Well well Martha you’ve finally been outed on Baby Reindeer :lol:

The main issue with coaches and managers of his calibre is that they are only a short term appointment. Good for picking you up from rock bottom and getting you climbing back up the Championship before promotion maybe two seasons later.

You might have a good first few games and you might go to Tottenham and get a good 1-1 draw before hosting Brentford and beating them 2-1 that makes you feel you properly belong in the Premiership, but after the first few weeks you start to lose games every week. Look at Sheffield Utd. You plummet to last place and eventually the second bottom team are ahead of you by 9 points before you know it.

Coaches like him have you on that kind of journey. I don’t know if he still manages but I suspect Gary Megson would do the same thing. Gary O’Neil for me is in the same category as Heckinbottom.

We need someone like that guy at Brentford or Brighton.

It was Dean Smith and Chris Hughton who got them up? Both in this class and they changed when they got to the PL...

Not that I am advocating for Heckingbottom. I don't think he would be right for us, Still or Rohl are top of my list given our set up and I think our fans would buy in to them

It was Dean Smith and Chris Hughton who got them up? Both in this class and they changed when they got to the PL...

Not that I am advocating for Heckingbottom. I don't think he would be right for us, Still or Rohl are top of my list given our set up and I think our fans would buy in to them

I think this is a very good point.
The majority of fans (me included) didn’t give Beale a chance and look how that went.
I think Heckingbottom may be the same.
The two you mention would be more accepted by the fans I reckon

I think this is a very good point.
The majority of fans (me included) didn’t give Beale a chance and look how that went.
I think Heckingbottom may be the same.
The two you mention would be more accepted by the fans I reckon

I don’t see Heckingbottom being anywhere near as divisive as Beale was. None of the supporters I know could see any merit whatsoever in Beale but I’d say Heckingbottom would be more like a Mowbray or Alex Neil type appointment.

Quite a few on here have said they see the merit of Heckingbottom and would see him as less of a risk than someone like Still.

He’ll be a decent appointment, and if it was this time last year everyone would be saying an excellent appointment, he got Sheffield well up arguably better than kompany as he didn’t have the squad, and he’s a big improvement on Beale and Dodds.

Is he really worth the sacking of Mowbray?

Regardless of the disaster of Beale and the “plodding” of Dodds.
Agree I bet even the few that wanted mowbray out given what was served up since and maybe in the future I bet everyone would've kept him. He had a few runs like what he was "sacked" for and turned it around, we knew what we had with mowbray.

Smith left before they got promoted.
Good point. We all know Heckinbottom to be one of the worst choices we could make and is utterly crap.

I wouldn’t choose Heckingbottom but don’t exaggerate, he’s not ‘utterly crap’ though is he

Last edited:

Back