Heckingbottom

Speakman should be nowhere near any meetings regarding the team.
"We all come in from a different angle and we sit in a really open environment as we have done with player recruitment. Not in terms of team selection for a Saturday, but just in terms of how the team is going to evolve and what it's going to look like. Ultimately, the coach has to make that judgement call at the end to say, 'this is the team that I'm going with'. We're always trying to merge the game strategy i.e how do we beat Coventry and align that with how do we continually improve the team and get better over a period of time. Sometimes that can provoke more difficult discussions and there's a complexity to it, but ultimately the coach has to be able to pick a team that can do the job on a Saturday.

It would mean he’s got us promoted
Not if we draw them in the cup again.
People forget he was u23 manager at Sheff United before he got their first team job so managing young players and developing them isn't new to him

Experienced in the championship and won promotion from it

Straight talking bloke who understands SAFC as he was here as a lad..

Yes from me
They'll definitely wheel this out when he's announced, but how does having a few seasons here as a reserve mean he "understands the club"? It's changed enormously since he was here (I don't think the academy even existed), and it's not like he had some deep connection with the fanbase as a reserve fullback who most of us wouldn't have recognised if we passed in the street.

Last edited:

They'll definitely wheel this out when he's announced, but how does having a few seasons here as a reserve mean he "understands the club"? It's changed enormously since he was here (I don't think the academy even existed), and it's not like he had some deep connection with the fanbase as a reserve fullback who most of us wouldn't have recognised if we passed in the street.
He was still here and apart of it. The fan base has ran true for years. He'll have more of an idea than some football hipster coming in

Exactly

The main issue with coaches and managers of his calibre is that they are only a short term appointment. Good for picking you up from rock bottom and getting you climbing back up the Championship before promotion maybe two seasons later.

You might have a good first few games and you might go to Tottenham and get a good 1-1 draw before hosting Brentford and beating them 2-1 that makes you feel you properly belong in the Premiership, but after the first few weeks you start to lose games every week. Look at Sheffield Utd. You plummet to last place and eventually the second bottom team are ahead of you by 9 points before you know it.

Coaches like him have you on that kind of journey. I don’t know if he still manages but I suspect Gary Megson would do the same thing. Gary O’Neil for me is in the same category as Heckinbottom.

We need someone like that guy at Brentford or Brighton.

Incredible that we are still insisting that the new manager has to keep a coach who

a) has shown no evidence of developing players as a coach
b) has been an absolutely terrible Head Coach
c) clearly still wants the Head Coach job at some point.

Almost certainly rules out anyone inspiring or with their own mind.

And for what? Because he is Speakman's mate? Because he is a friend of the Bellinghams?
Assuming this is about Dodds how in the same post can you say he has shown no evidence of developing players as a coach and also that he is here just because he is a friend of the Bellinghams. How do you think they got close?

Assuming this is about Dodds how in the same post can you say he has shown no evidence of developing players as a coach and also that he is here just because he is a friend of the Bellinghams. How do you think they got close?

By Jude Bellingham's account, Dodds did a really good job with Jude Bellingham.

It would have been nice to have seen some evidence of players at SAFC improving in the 3 years he has been here.

It would have been nice to have seen some evidence of players at SAFC improving in the 3 years he has been here.
Jack Clarke has improved, Ballard has improved , Rigg is coming along well and improving, Trai Hume has improved. Patto has improved. The Onion has improved, Dan Neil has improved, Alese and Huggins showed good improvement although injuries have set them back. Just off the top of my head. Add in the improvements of Matty Yong and Tom Watson in the younger squads along with others as our youth teams seem to be doing ok compared to before

Cooper took a bottom 3 Forest side to winning the play-offs then kept them up in the Prem. Heckingbottom never once looked like he'd keep Sheff Utd in the Prem. Took them out of the championship but had a ridiculously strong squad

Edit: For what its worth I don't think we're looking at Cooper as he's be too expensive for us, but I definitely think he'd be worth the extra cash over Heck, convinced Heck wouldn't last two seasons
Why would Cooper be too expensive… he is not going to be offered a Premier Club
We can offer him Championship money with upgrade if promoted… I’m not lobbying for Cooper but I disagree that he some way beyond us .

Are you honestly trying to claim no players at the club have improved at Sunderland in the last few years. You can’t be being serious. Plus I mean if arguably the best player in the world credits him with helping as a player I think you can take that as evidence that he has improved players with his coaching.
Jack Clarke has improved, Ballard has improved , Rigg is coming along well and improving, Trai Hume has improved. Patto has improved. The Onion has improved, Dan Neil has improved, Alese and Huggins showed good improvement although injuries have set them back. Just off the top of my head. Add in the improvements of Matty Yong and Tom Watson in the younger squads along with others as our youth teams seem to be doing ok compared to before
Crazy on here. Straight up arguing that he can’t improve players while saying one of the best in the world said that he improved him.

Last edited:

Nigh on the entire first team has improved since Dodds has been here. Hume, Clarke and Neil never started the L1 playoff final, now they're all being linked with PL moves!

Back