George Best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me. Not live of course, but game coverage was canny even way back then, so watched him PLENTY, as did EVERY football fan.

He was unbelievable, hypnotic,and I truly mean that.

His off pitch antics were very sad, as Gazzas are, and I wont comment here, it's a FOOTBALL forum, so I will not go into his downfall, as bad as it is-
His famous comments were truly funny,and any fan / punter who met him in a bar said he was just a lovely lovely bloke, and no-one had a bad word to say about him.

The greatest footballer that ever lived.

Are you old enough to have ever seen him play ?

I suspect not, coz very very few of us that DID , would slag him off, he gave too much pleasure
God given talents that come along once a generation and he retired at 26 to become a full time alcoholic. Disgrace.

God given talents that come along once a generation and he retired at 26 to become a full time alcoholic. Disgrace.

Let he who is without sin among you cast the first stone-----:neutral:

How very simplistic and judgemental. Who knows what stresses or problems caused it eh?
How easy would it have been to keep refusing every football fan who met you wanting to buy you a pint? So the same goes for Gazza and Cloghie too?

Alcoholism is a terrible affliction. We all like a drink, but to be alcoholic must be an awful awful thing.

Last edited:
Let he who is without sin among you cast the first stone-----:neutral:

How very simplistic and judgemental. Who knows what stresses or problems caused it eh?
How easy would it have been to keep refusing every football fan who met you wanting to buy you a pint? So the same goes for Gazza too?
Yep can't stand Gazza either. Been offered all the help in the world and is still a complete fuck up. Massively overrated footballer as well.

Great footballer no doubt, but have to admit having died 3 months after me fit and healthy 36 year old sister and a month after me two month old baby niece who fought so hard, I struggled to have any sympathy with him at the time, in fact it made me pretty angry. I've mellowed a bit since but I can't have any great sympathy for him
Bad crack about the sis and the little one. Sorry to hear about that. I ve no sympathy for him either he was afforded plenty of chances but took the piss out of his donor who's perfectly good organ could of went to someone who because they weren't a great footballer missed out on an opportunity to sort themselves out.

A world class British footballer who like just about, infact all of us had his flaws yet so many so quick to condemn him for them. Few people could do with looking in a mirror mind!
The bloke lived the dream, good looking, world class player and had some of the best women in the world. As he famously said "where did it all go wrong" :lol:
A proper bloke but seemingly people want to salivate over the likes of beckham (nice bloke by the way) who is so manufactured and unoriginal it's untrue. Football is full of dull cliche ridden players and pundits these days terrified to say anything in case it upsets someone. Give me a George Best or Brian Clough any day.

f***ing love Becks me, leave him out of this! :mad:

;)
I like him as well but he's pretty dull isn't he?

I like him as well but he's pretty dull isn't he?

Nah I wouldn't say so. He's certainly no Gazza or Best like.

I don't really dislike any either. I think Gazza is becoming a bit tiresome but then again its most likely the media crawling all over him everytime he goes into rehab or whatever.

Nah I wouldn't say so. He's certainly no Gazza or Best like.

I don't really dislike any either. I think Gazza is becoming a bit tiresome but then again its most likely the media crawling all over him everytime he goes into rehab or whatever.
I just think Becks has a bunch of PR men behind him pushing his buttons so he doesn't say anything controversial. He's obviously a nice man but other than the amount of birds hanging around you I don't think he'd be my cup of tea to have a pint with. Best or clough now................

Everyone loves him for the drinking, the girls etc, but the impression I got (from his own books) is that they were used to cover up massive insecurities about himself and his character.

'Man's man' is not how I would describe him at all. Scared kid who never got the chance to grow into a man imo.

As a Bairn he lived the dream

Wine women sex & football

Bairns who try to Dee it don't have the same charisma as besty

Yes in the end he fucked it up. But by god was a great player

I just think Becks has a bunch of PR men behind him pushing his buttons so he doesn't say anything controversial. He's obviously a nice man but other than the amount of birds hanging around you I don't think he'd be my cup of tea to have a pint with. Best or clough now................

Honestly (mostly due to my age probably) if I was offered the choice Id gan for a pint with Beckham over Clough, Gazza and Best. I don't think any would be short of interesting stories.

Just my opinion of course.

The op says people shouldn't be praised for going to away games as its their choice etc, shouldn't self-congratulate etc etc.
What are you talking about? Who is self congratulating here? I'd be f***ing worried if the subject of the OP was giving himself a pat on the back mind!

What are you talking about? Who is self congratulating here? I'd be f***ing worried if the subject of the OP was giving himself a pat on the back mind!
You've missed the point. Go and read the first few replies man. Somebody says he should get praise because he chose to play. Taking the piss out of your stance on our away fans...somebody misunderstood that. I've said fuck all personally.

It's people taking the piss man. You've said in this thread 'bet you're no fun to have a drink with' or summit. Look at yourself :lol:

10 years since his passing. Phenomenal player and great character. A real mans man. Just don't make them like him anymore.
God knows how much he'd be worth in today's game.

Great as a footballer - but a failure as a person? I'm pretty sure he didn't die happy.

You've missed the point. Go and read the first few replies man. Somebody says he should get praise because he chose to play. Taking the piss out of your stance on our away fans...somebody misunderstood that. I've said fuck all personally.

It's people taking the piss man. You've said in this thread 'bet you're no fun to have a drink with' or summit. Look at yourself :lol:
Yeah they did and I put him right as well as didn't make any sense! If going to try and be funny at least, well be funny! :lol:
My stance on away fans is any fucka can go and support a team (myself included) hardly anything to get all excited or beam with pride over. Millions of blokes like us the world over, very few George Bests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back