George Best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fail to see how anyone could have a problem with them. Two great characters ( who were incredibly talented) which the game now is sadly lacking.
I don't 'have a problem with them', I've never met them. They just come across poorly in my view.

You have problems with dozens of people on here alone man.

I don't 'have a problem with them', I've never met them. They just come across poorly in my view.

You have problems with dozens of people on here alone man.
Well that's your opinion but it surprises me as they are two of greatest characters the games produced.
I don't have any problems with any posters, they have problems with me. Big difference.

He was obviously magnificent, but there's no way he could have been a heavy boozer and all that comes with it and had the same impact in today's game. Not with the necessity of the fitness levels.
Have to agree. One of the reasons he got away with it was because half of the opposition were just as pissed as he was.

I must have seen him about 20n times from his heyday till his time with Fulham and he was immense. He was a way better player than Messi and he had a real love for the game early on.

Talking of love the game, that is something that seem to be lacking these days, football is more of a job and this attitude could explain the lack of characters.

To take music analogy is there any group more soulless and boring than the Eagles and is there any group more professional and able?

George, with his long hair, shirt out and the ball at his feet is about as iconic an image of what style and football should be.

Maybe not the greatest player, that's all subjective anyhow. But no one will ever match his grace. people can argue all they want about Messi and Ronaldo's ability. They are probably better...but with George..well there wasn't any argument or comparison with any other player...because there was no one like him.

Have many people here actually seen him play regularly?

I seen him play (live) about 20 times and a few more on TV. When I was going to the matches in the late sixties and seventies no one thought the players were alcoholics (just living it up) we all drank (too much) The players, and there were a lot of them, just seemed to afford it more.

Still think Best is in my top ten Greatest of all time.

Nobody forced him to play football so why should we praise him?

What an inane post.

I'll tell you why-----because he was the most talented,most graceful, most gifted, most skillfull player that ever kicked a ball bar none. He was a magician, an artist who had everyone who watched him ( as I did ) mesmerised. Theres never been another player in the 50 years I've watched football, that ever , ever came close to having the skills / ability he had, and yes, that includes Ronaldo and Messi.He was OFTEN described as looking like he had the ball tied to his boot by the laces.
I havent time here to describe his skills, just go on youtube-----

I will relate a story I heard on the radio yesterday while I was driving----

The presenter was tallking to a very famous defender ( didnt get name coz switched on after it had started, butr was described as famous later on ). His team were playing Man. Utd, and he was given the unlikely task of keeping Best quiet---

On radio the defender said---" For the first half, Best was a bit quiet. I went in at half time and was congratulated by my manager on doing a good job, and I was feeling very pleased with myself. "Early in the second half, when I was close to Besty, he came over and said---" I've just had my arse kicked off the gaffer for being lazy, Sorry son, I I better do a bit ". ---" For the next 35 minutes, dazzled and ran rings round me, make me look totally incompetent, and scored 2 goals, I've never seen a player like him "--------------------He was mercurial, got hammered in tackles and just got up, in todays non-contact game, and with the bendy balloon we now play with, he would have set records that would never have been touched. Remember, the ball he played with was the one we were all scared to even head it was that solid !

He was utterly amazing---Its as simple as that. RIP George.

What an inane post.

I'll tell you why-----because he was the most talented, most gifted, most skillfull player that ever kicked a ball bar none. He was a magician, an artist who had everyone who watched him ( as I did ) mesmerised. Theres never been another player in the 50 years I've watched football, that ever , ever came close to having the skills / ability he had, and yes, that includes Ronaldo and Messi.
I havent time here to describe his skills, just go on youtube-----

I will relate a story I heard on the radio yesterday while I was driving----

The presenter was tallking to a very famous defender ( didnt get name coz switched on after it had started, butr was described as famous later on ). His team were playing Man. Utd, and he was given the unlikely task of keeping Best quiet---

On radio the defender said---" For the first half, Best was a bit quiet. I went in at half time and was congratulated by my manager on doing a good job, and I was feeling very pleased with myself. "Early in the second half, when I was close to Besty, he came over and said---" I've just had my arse kicked off the gaffer for being lazy, Sorry son, I I better do a bit ". ---" For the next 35 minutes, dazzled and ran rings round me, make me look totally incompetent, and scored 2 goals, I've never seen a player like him "--------------------He was mercurial, got hammered in tackles and just got up, in todays non-contact game, and with the bendy balloon we now play with, he would have set records that would never have been touched. Remember, the ball he played with was the one we were all scared to even head it was that solid !

He was utterly amazing---Its as simple as that. RIP George.

f***ing hell.

The joke has definitely gone over your head.

Mr Jardine has in the past said why should people praise our fans for their away support when nobody forces them to turn up.

Have many people here actually seen him play regularly?

Me. Not live of course, but game coverage was canny even way back then, so watched him PLENTY, as did EVERY football fan.

He was unbelievable, hypnotic,and I truly mean that.

His off pitch antics were very sad, as Gazzas are, and I wont comment here, it's a FOOTBALL forum, so I will not go into his downfall, as bad as it is-
His famous comments were truly funny,and any fan / punter who met him in a bar said he was just a lovely lovely bloke, and no-one had a bad word to say about him.

The greatest footballer that ever lived.

Pissed it all away. A disgrace really. No respect for him.

Are you old enough to have ever seen him play ?

I suspect not, coz very very few of us that DID , would slag him off, he gave too much pleasure

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back