George Best

Status
Not open for further replies.

:lol::lol:
Some of the quotes from likes of him
And Cloughie are fantastic. Characters are none existent in today's game.

Because he was talented perhaps?

Nobody forced him to do it though.

Before my time but me dad reckons he's one of the greats.

If he lived by today's fitness standards he would have had a long career at the top.

Nobody forced him to do it though.

Before my time but me dad reckons he's one of the greats.

If he lived by today's fitness standards he would have had a long career at the top.
I didn't say they did. :confused:

Before mine as well really but still plenty footage of him and literature. Was part of best soccer Saturday panel as well with him, Rodney marsh and frank McClintock. His autobiography is fantastic.
Imagine a night out with a prime George Best :eek:

He wouldn't be able to have the same lifestyle outside of Football nowadays like.
I think he would. He performed magnificently despite the drink. I think managers today might even turn a blind eye for such talent. I only saw him in the 70s but fortunately loads of archived stuff out there. A true GENIUS. The best British player ever?

It's frightening to think what he'd be like now, with modern training methods etc.
Apart from the fact you can't kick any fucker now.
Aye, he was kicked black and blue - well, when they could catch him!

People would literally pay just to see him. I know he had Charlton and Law in his side but when Manchester United were in town thousands of people would go just to see him.
I used to go to Boro and Newcastle when they played Manchester United just to see him.

Doesn't change the fact he denied somebody else a lifeline and destroyed another liver.

Good footballer or not he was still a dickhead.

Sometimes with genius the downside is some character flaws.

As I only know too well myself. :lol:

Van Gogh, Newton, Beethoven, etc

Great footballer no doubt, but have to admit having died 3 months after me fit and healthy 36 year old sister and a month after me two month old baby niece who fought so hard, I struggled to have any sympathy with him at the time, in fact it made me pretty angry. I've mellowed a bit since but I can't have any great sympathy for him

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back