Gas barbecues any tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

The brother in law invited the whole extended family around for a BBQ once. Two hours before everyone arrived he went out and bought a massive gas BBQ. He then got me to spend and hour and a half assembling the bloody thing for him. He then fired it up and proceeded to reduce all the food to carbon. It was a total disaster so do have a practice with it on cheaper cuts of meat it before you invite people round.
that's more a symptom of the bloke not normally cooking but give him a sunny day, a gallon of lager and a fire and he thinks he's Gordon ramsey - nowt to do with the BBQ

Many years ago, the previous Memsaab acquired a gas barbecue on our behalf, and with no consultation.

Until then, barbies had been a wonderful thing. The menfolk would gather round the charcoal, drinking beer, offering encouragement and shouting oaths, as the host tried to make man's fire. The lady folk remained at a discrete distance, also drinking, some preparing salads, others discussing why their chosen life partners were such shit hunter-gatherers. Eventually, after numerous hours, meat would be cooked after a fashion, it would be consumed, as people had been waiting ages, and were so hungry that even half cooked yet externally charred meat was palatable. By three in the morning, everyone is as drunk as pigs, crawling around the garden on all fours or bouncing on the trampoline. This is how barbies were done.

After we bought a gas barbie, our guests arrived, we cooked the meat adequately, our guests ate and left again, and we were left with a load of unopened beer and a realisation that we had not had a barbie, just cooked a meal in the garden, and that it was shit.

In short, give your heed a shake, get rid of the gas barbie, and trust in tradition.

I have this. If you live in Oz, allegedly the spiritual home of the bbq, then most of the population have a gas one. It's just you Neanderthals who insist on living in the dark ages who have charcoal ones. Ooooh look, I have made fire...
Logon or register to see this image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back