Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is that annoying? Surely it is a good thing that American TV is starting to lean that good shows can have non-Americans on the screen. That way you can just watch shows from other countries and do not have to remake (badly) good shows like Red Dwarf, The Office, Life On Mars etc.

Got the series 4 boxset to watch, starting on that tonight.

Being trying to avoid all the spoilers. Avoided watching on the telly when shown as I prefer watching something that doesn't have adverts every five minutes.

I'm still annoyed that they're changing things from the books to finish the tv series before the rest of the books come out

Why is that annoying? Surely it is a good thing that American TV is starting to lean that good shows can have non-Americans on the screen. That way you can just watch shows from other countries and do not have to remake (badly) good shows like Red Dwarf, The Office, Life On Mars etc.
Add shameless to that list

I'm still annoyed that they're changing things from the books to finish the tv series before the rest of the books come out

An unfortunate reality of TV filming schedules I suppose. It's easy for GRRM to put characters aside, they don't exist. The actors who play them won't just sit around doing nothing waiting for him to finish the books. By 2011, he'd already written 5 of 7 books, with season 6 expected to start Spring 2016 and season 7 Spring 2017

They were optimistic if they thought A Dream of Spring would be out by 2017 but I'm sure they thought The Winds of Winter would be out by 2015.

Because everyone sees it as an American show, it really isn't. The show is filmed mostly across the UK, Continental Europe and parts of North Africa. There is currently only one American actor in the main cast, there have been only two in total. The rest of the main cast have been European, with the majority being British or Irish. There was one South American actor too.

They certainly deserve credit for the funding and the writing but I'm just annoyed its seen and credited as an American show that only has one bloody American on screen.

Last edited:
An unfortunate reality of TV filming schedules I suppose. It's easy for GRRM to put characters aside, they don't exist. The actors who play them won't just sit around doing nothing waiting for him to finish the books. By 2011, he'd already written 5 of 7 books, with season 6 expected to start Spring 2016 and season 7 Spring 2017

They were optimistic if they thought A Dream of Spring would be out by 2017 but I'm sure they thought The Winds of Winter would be out by 2015.

Because everyone sees it as an American show, it really isn't. The show is filmed mostly across the UK, Continental Europe and parts of North Africa. There is currently only one American actor in the main cast, there have been only two in total. The rest of the main cast have been European, with the majority being British or Irish. There was one South American actor too.

They certainly deserve credit for the funding and the writing but I'm just annoyed its seen and credited as an American show that only has one bloody American on screen.
Suppose its just like a lot of films that are shot at Pinewood. Most of the Bond movies for example.

On the plus side, he's not doing ComiCon or anything so he can concentrate on writing. I suppose now the TV series know what they're doing and can go back to him for pointers, but he might actually get Winds of Winter out by Jan 2016

Not reading this thread cos I am only on S01 E04.

But its compelling viewing, despite the gratuitous mysogyny.

On the plus side, he's not doing ComiCon or anything so he can concentrate on writing. I suppose now the TV series know what they're doing and can go back to him for pointers, but he might actually get Winds of Winter out by Jan 2016

Good. Not that I read the books, mind, though I have read AFFC

Read them. It'll be worth your while
My missus has read them and I probably will at some point, but I do think it will spoil things.

There have been a few things that really got me as "wow, that was unexpected", especially the wedding episode. The wife turned round smiling as she knew it was going to happen. I'm glad I didn't.

Good. Not that I read the books, mind, though I have read AFFC

I'm reading through this now. It's bloody annoying. Pages and pages of setting descriptions. Every character's outfit is described in absurd detail. Every standard and flag is detailed. It leaves me cold. It's way too flabby and lacks pace.

The other books were excellent - far pacier and written with the intent of telling a story. This one seems to be the equivalent of a soap - loads of time is spent on not much happening. It meanders without saying much at all; there's barely a sense of progression. It's more of an ordeal to read than a pleasure at this point (250 pages).

I'll not be impressed if the fat tosser is writing another flabby, chod-filled behemoth. One book in ten years - what a shambolic effort. It's his fault that the tv series has caught up and is forced to overtake. This should not have happened. So far, a Feast for Crows could have been halved, and still told the same story.

My missus has read them and I probably will at some point, but I do think it will spoil things.

There have been a few things that really got me as "wow, that was unexpected", especially the wedding episode. The wife turned round smiling as she knew it was going to happen. I'm glad I didn't.

I still say the TV show is going to spoil the books, but as the show is so bloody good, I'll just have to put up with it!

Started on the Series 4 boxset last night, watched eps 1 & 2.

The whole lot of them are still as mad as a box of frogs!

That little Stark lass seems to be developing a right vicious streak. Oh and that nutter 'King' Joffrey cannot handle his wine can he!

I enjoy the TV show too much to spoil it. That and the characters in ADWD bore the f***ing tits off me (on page, not on screen)
I read them as it was only up to season 1 on TV and couldn't wait. As I said earlier if you love the show then you will be cock in hand with the books, they are truly brilliant.

I don't read books either or have since.

Started on the Series 4 boxset last night, watched eps 1 & 2.

The whole lot of them are still as mad as a box of frogs!

That little Stark lass seems to be developing a right vicious streak. Oh and that nutter 'King' Joffrey cannot handle his wine can he!
She's my favourite character.

I read them as it was only up to season 1 on TV and couldn't wait. As I said earlier if you love the show then you will be cock in hand with the books, they are truly brilliant.

I don't read books either or have since.

the dany and tyrion chapters bore the tits off me, as do the Jon snow ones

So that's why I refuse to read ADWD and will wait for season 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back