Football laws that you weren't aware of ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

If 2 players on the same side receive treatment after a clash of heads they don't need to go off before entering the field of play. Happened at our place a couple of seasons ago. The whole stadium was going apoplectic!

I didn't know that if the ball goes out of play and you're subbed on, you can't take the throw in because you haven't officially entered the field of play.

I learned that when Connor Wickham came on as sub at Bolton and went to take the throw in but the ref said someone else had to take it.

or a corner...
But you can be immediately after someone else has touched the ball.

I was playing in one game where we had a corner. The ball was crossed to the edge of the box & a midfield player smacked it first time into the roof of the net. Cracking goal. The referee whistled for offside against the corner taker & technically he was correct. Needless to say we went nuts.

I didn't know that if the ball goes out of play and you're subbed on, you can't take the throw in because you haven't officially entered the field of play.

I learned that when Connor Wickham came on as sub at Bolton and went to take the throw in but the ref said someone else had to take it.
I don't think that is right. But he must come onto the field of play in the normal manner, then leave it again to take the throw in. He can't just stand on the touchline and take the throw

But you can be immediately after someone else has touched the ball.

I was playing in one game where we had a corner. The ball was crossed to the edge of the box & a midfield player smacked it first time into the roof of the net. Cracking goal. The referee whistled for offside against the corner taker & technically he was correct. Needless to say we went nuts.
I should hope you did. There's no way the taker was interfering with play

I should hope you did. There's no way the taker was interfering with play

Does that depend when the game took place? In the olden days there wasn't as much discretion re: interfering with play. Shankly said something like if you aren't interfering with play then you shouldn't be on the pitch. Quite extreme when it's the corner kick taker, granted.

Goal kicks.

When I was a kid you had to take a goal kick on the side of the 6 yard box that the ball went out of play on.

But the goal kick can be taken from any point within the 6 yard box (goal area).

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/LawsofFootball/0,,10794~507503,00.html

When did this change?
Years and years ago. This was changed because keepers were wasting time walking slowly back to the correct side to take the kick if the ball ended up on the wrong side, and it was felt that it would remove this opportunity and speed the game up.

So now the keepers waste time by walking slowly across to the opposite side from where the ball ends up, regardless of where it went out, thus wasting even more time as they can do this every time and not just when the ball ended up at the wrong side if you see what I mean. So completely negating the one thing the law was supposed to do, and the refs do nothing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back