FIRST TEST: England v NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

woody should have played in the windies and jordan played here IMO

Not Jordan, but I get what you mean.

Maybe I am biased, but on these pitches Rushworth would get people out for fun, you need horses for courses sometimes.

Saying that it is swinging today, the first time it has done this dramatically, but its all about the length

broad has been getting stick for bowling too short his whole career

Yeah true, Broad has bowled well this game though, was England's best I thought. I just think Broad is the perfect first change bowler, we need someone to pitch it up early on with the new ball, thats not his game.

Not Jordan, but I get what you mean.

Maybe I am biased, but on these pitches Rushworth would get people out for fun, you need horses for courses sometimes.

Saying that it is swinging today, the first time it has done this dramatically, but its all about the length

Yeah true, Broad has bowled well this game though, was England's best I thought. I just think Broad is the perfect first change bowler, we need someone to pitch it up early on with the new ball, thats not his game.

if rushy was ever going to get a sniff he would have by now imo. right or wrong i'll not get into...

i agree re broad too, tries too hard to be the big bully with the ball but he really isn't good enough to bully the best. bounces out poor sides then thinks he can do it against the best and gets smashed. when he pitches it up and just bowls fast and accurate he is a menace.

if rushy was ever going to get a sniff he would have by now imo. right or wrong i'll not get into...

i agree re broad too, tries too hard to be the big bully with the ball but he really isn't good enough to bully the best. bounces out poor sides then thinks he can do it against the best and gets smashed. when he pitches it up and just bowls fast and accurate he is a menace.

Yeah, I just think Broad gets too much stick compare to Anderson. I know I will probably get stick for this view because when Jimmy gets it right he wins us games as he has done in the last 12 months, but he has wasted the new ball too many times recently. I was sitting there pulling my hair out on Friday, far too short and far too wide.

Yeah, I just think Broad gets too much stick compare to Anderson. I know I will probably get stick for this view because when Jimmy gets it right he wins us games as he has done in the last 12 months, but he has wasted the new ball too many times recently. I was sitting there pulling my hair out on Friday, far too short and far too wide.

i haven't watched nearly as much test cricket over the last year or so as previously so can't really comment. my gripes re broad are the same as they've been his whole career.

I can't see him not being an opening bowler.

I think it would be better if he was the first change bowler but I can't see Broad allowing it!

I can't see him not being an opening bowler.

I think it would be better if he was the first change bowler but I can't see Broad allowing it!

He didn't used to be did he? Its not up to him! There isn't anyone in the team at the minute who should be taking the new ball though to be fair, I just mean in England there will be plenty of bowlers bowling full and at the stumps with the new ball taking wickets. Rushworth is the best in country cricket at it.

We have become obsessed with it being all about pace, but its the length and line that is the most important.

In England in May its criminal that we bowled so short and no balls in the first few overs at the stumps!

He didn't used to be did he? Its not up to him! There isn't anyone in the team at the minute who should be taking the new ball though to be fair, I just mean in England there will be plenty of bowlers bowling full and at the stumps with the new ball taking wickets. Rushworth is the best in country cricket at it.

We have become obsessed with it being all about pace, but its the length and line that is the most important.

In England in May its criminal that we bowled so short and no balls in the first few overs at the stumps!

obviously the ecb don't agree or they never would have discarded onions in favour or finn, tremlett & rankin*

* jesus, did that really happen? england really deserve their mediocrity.

obviously the ecb don't agree or they never would have discarded onions in favour or finn, tremlett & rankin*

* jesus, did that really happen? england really deserve their mediocrity.

One of the worst decisions in recent times, Onions was flying at the time

I mean Tremlett was finished and everybody knew it.

Wood was getting plenty of praise earlier for "sticking to what he knows" when the others were trying to fanny about and think too much.

So, is bowling short a team order, from the coaches? Maybe just fuck them off? I can't imagine Anderson following team orders when he has 400 Test wickets. Pitch it up, swing it, and do the damage.

As mentioned, Broad tries to bounce people out. Bounce McCullum? Taylor? Mental. And then the likes of Guptil and Williamson will just leave the bouncers alone. Frustrating.

another 50 for cook are people still going to say he isn't back to form

He clearly is and has averaged 50 in his last 2 series, his batting not a problem and not an issue within a team that has a few weaknesses

Wood was getting plenty of praise earlier for "sticking to what he knows" when the others were trying to fanny about and think too much.

So, is bowling short a team order, from the coaches? Maybe just fuck them off? I can't imagine Anderson following team orders when he has 400 Test wickets. Pitch it up, swing it, and do the damage.

As mentioned, Broad tries to bounce people out. Bounce McCullum? Taylor? Mental. And then the likes of Guptil and Williamson will just leave the bouncers alone. Frustrating.

Its not a team thing, definitely not. Anderson pretty much sets his own field, and has slowly pulled his length back over the year to stop runs and his fields prove it.

Even Moores was slighly critical of the bowlers at times for bowling too short, particularly at Lords last year.

There is a lot of criticism aimed at the coaching but Anderson and co have the ball in their hand.

He clearly is and has averaged 50 in his last 2 series, his batting not a problem and not an issue within a team that has a few weaknesses

Its not a team thing, definitely not. Anderson pretty much sets his own field, and has slowly pulled his length back over the year to stop runs and his fields prove it.

Even Moores was slighly critical of the bowlers at times for bowling too short, particularly at Lords last year.

There is a lot of criticism aimed at the coaching but Anderson and co have the ball in their hand.
I was thinking aloud to be honest. In recent times we've seen "genuine pace" bowlers or "bouncy" bowlers - Finn, Rankin, Tremlett, even Bresnan all stop doing what has made them successful and made to look like fodder by bowling too short. For me, it's too much of a coincidence and could be an issue with the England set up.

Joe Root does look good like.
agreed, not sure of his world ranking but it must be top ten

nailed on skipper in a couple of years imo, maybe earlier if gillespie takes over.

england 165 for 3 lead 31 for eng

So does Cook.

These need to get a lead of over 100 without losing a wicket for us to have any chance
in reality its 35 for 3 and we have been used to recovering from this point. enjoy this from both lads. pleased for cook as he has shon real character in this innings

agreed, not sure of his world ranking but it must be top ten

nailed on skipper in a couple of years imo, maybe earlier if gillespie takes over.

england 165 for 3 lead 31 for eng

in reality its 35 for 3 and we have been used to recovering from this point. enjoy this from both lads. pleased for cook as he has shon real character in this innings

Cook needs to bat all day with the others playing around him, get to lunch now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back