FIRST TEST: England v NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Striker
Proper excited me like. Thought I'd start the match thread early, such is my excitement :lol:.

Really hope Wood gets a game - at the expense of Broad please. Expect he'll just be doing the Graham Onions role mind :neutral:.

NZ have considerably improved as a Test team since the last time they were here, however I still think we should beat them in this series - looking like Worcestershire could beat them in their final warm up game today.

Hopefully be:

Cook
Lyth
Ballance
Bell
Root
Stokes
Modern
Buttler
Wood
Jordan
Anderson

Proper excited me like. Thought I'd start the match thread early, such is my excitement :lol:.

Really hope Wood gets a game - at the expense of Broad please. Expect he'll just be doing the Graham Onions role mind :neutral:.

NZ have considerably improved as a Test team since the last time they were here, however I still think we should beat them in this series - looking like Worcestershire could beat them in their final warm up game today.

Hopefully be:

Cook
Lyth
Ballance
Bell
Root
Stokes
Modern
Buttler
Wood
Jordan
Anderson
i agree re wood but its a cert broad will play imo. i think the team that lost the last test, will play apart from lyth for trott.

missing the start as got a dodgy tooth and off to the dentist on thurs morning

Broad out of form is still ten times the bowler of Chris f***ing Jordan.

Looking at it purely from the point of view that Broad needs a rest and there's no alternative in that squad. For the record I'd have picked neither.

Hope to see wood get a run out at expense of Jordan but can't see it.
They've had a good rest since last test so see no reason to leave broad or anyone out for the sake of freshness.

Hopefully be:

Cook
Lyth
Ballance
Bell
Root
Stokes
Modern
Buttler
Wood
Jordan
Anderson

Sorry mate not sure how on earth you can pick Jordan, he is hopeless, and offers nothing as a bowler

Broad isn;t bowling that badly, don't really get your strong opinions on him, he has to play

The man issue is the third seamer, if Jordan plays again we will struggle to win, Wood has to play.

I still think the team isn't that far off, we need Ali bowling like last summer, and Bell needs to pick up form as he is getting too many low scores, as I say I will be disappointed if we pick Jordan just because he is a good slip fielder.

I'm there days 2 and 3, might go to day 4 depending on how game is looking and if we get a point at Arsenal

Can't wait. Looking forward to seeing NZ too

Sorry mate not sure how on earth you can pick Jordan, he is hopeless, and offers nothing as a bowler

Broad isn;t bowling that badly, don't really get your strong opinions on him, he has to play

The man issue is the third seamer, if Jordan plays again we will struggle to win, Wood has to play.

I still think the team isn't that far off, we need Ali bowling like last summer, and Bell needs to pick up form as he is getting too many low scores, as I say I will be disappointed if we pick Jordan just because he is a good slip fielder.

I'm there days 2 and 3, might go to day 4 depending on how game is looking and if we get a point at Arsenal

Can't wait. Looking forward to seeing NZ too

You've over analysed it massively. Jordan was in for me because I think Broad needs to sit this series out to work on regaining his pace. He'll be no use to anyone bowling 78-82mph half trackers.

I wouldn't have picked Jordan. That is the squad to choose from though. It's quite blatantly between Wood and Jordan for the spot in the side. So it's all a bit pointless me making my argument anyway. I simply picked one player out of that 12 to sit out and gave my reason why.

I've already stated I'd have played Plunkett and Wood in place of Broad and Jordan - but Plunkett wasn't selected so that's that.

You've over analysed it massively. Jordan was in for me because I think Broad needs to sit this series out to work on regaining his pace. He'll be no use to anyone bowling 78-82mph half trackers.

I wouldn't have picked Jordan. That is the squad to choose from though. It's quite blatantly between Wood and Jordan for the spot in the side. So it's all a bit pointless me making my argument anyway. I simply picked one player out of that 12 to sit out and gave my reason why.

I've already stated I'd have played Plunkett and Wood in place of Broad and Jordan - but Plunkett wasn't selected so that's that.

Broad wasn't always bowling that slowly like mate, he was often mid 80s and sometimes close to 90

I think Broad needs overs personally, thats how bowlers get match fit

I honestly can't believe Jordan is in the squad for a second summer, what has he done bowling wise to justify it, I wish the journos would ask specifically about him. Wood impressed me last week, he was much better than I thought

But maybe Broad needs the game to get his pace back (same as Onions for Durham).

I reckon Wood is a shoo in for a place, there were good reports coming back from the Caribbean on him, the coaches (1 now departed) seemed happy and he's just played well for Durham. I reckon Jordan will make way.

I'm not as confident as Johnson but he parts of a good team seem to be there if only they can gell - having said that "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" to quote Mike Tyson.

Broad wasn't always bowling that slowly like mate, he was often mid 80s and sometimes close to 90

I think Broad needs overs personally, thats how bowlers get match fit

I honestly can't believe Jordan is in the squad for a second summer, what has he done bowling wise to justify it, I wish the journos would ask specifically about him. Wood impressed me last week, he was much better than I thought
he was mostly around 80 in his spells - but he did hit 90 in a few and it was his 90mph spell when he knocked over all those wickets.

The question is why, was it that his rhythm was there sometimes and sometimes not, was it that physically he's not quite there so he decided the bowl within himself sometime and let rip only rarely. I don't know but I reckon he's got to be a 85mph bowlercapable of 90mhp for at least short periods.

Time will tell but until we're sure which way it will go he should be in the team.

Last edited:
There was an article about quicks in the Sunday Times.

From memory, here are the averages (of the ones quoted) from June 2013

Broad - 27
Anderson - 26
Johnson - 19
Steyn - 22
Southee - 25
Bolt - 24
Harris - 23

Broad is doing alright. I would have dropped him in the Carribean to give someone a bedding in before the summer. But he plays now

I'm looking forward to classy twin hundreds and inspired captaincy from Cook, given how important both he and the Head Boy seem to think he is.

Broad missed an ECB sponsor event the other day, after going on a drinking session with Matt Prior and only getting in at 7am. He then blamed it on a "migraine".

I'd drop him for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back