FIRST TEST: England v NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothing wrong with the way Cook and Trott (at their best) bat in test match cricket. Leave the obsession with strike-rates and "exciting" batting to the pajama stuff please.

Nothing wrong with the way Cook and Trott (at their best) bat in test match cricket. Leave the obsession with strike-rates and "exciting" batting to the pajama stuff please.
Why?? The games moved on and most sides have used them in recent years. Players like warner,sehwag,mccullum ruin a captains plans when they get going.

The aussies ended swanns career by going after him home and away. We've been on of the only sides in recent years that haven't taken ODI and t20 elements to our test cricket batting.

He was a quick scorer in county cricket, just seemed to go into paralysis in tests. I'm pretty sure he took about 9 hours over 60 in one memorable rearguard action.

They brought Chris Tavare in to replace Boycott as opener and he more than took up his mantle as a slow grinder.

Good to see Cook and Bell battle it out to stumps. They'll be plenty more battling to do in the morning and a lot more against the Aussies.

Best we can do is a draw like.

to be fair cook and bell were undre real pressure tonight but got through it. hopefully they can bat till tea and we may have a chance.

good to see another showing of thompson splattering bumbles nuts again with hussain howling in the background.

what about that chat about soho betwen shane and bumble ?:lol:

I called it with Ballance months ago. It's one thing milking Stuart Binny and Suliemann Benn for two an over all day; it's quite another thing to play against a decent test attack.

Just as @Sweeper said ballance was an accident waiting to happen.
He was the man to make way for KP and it's so frustrating that this call wasn't made.
Too many people looking at stats and averages rather than what's actually happening.
People can tell me cook and broads stats look good over last few series and that's fine but my eyes tell me they've been ordinary and the fact we've been average/poor in last 3 series shows my eyes aren't ready for scrap heap just yet.

I called it with Ballance months ago. It's one thing milking Stuart Binny and Suliemann Benn for two an over all day; it's quite another thing to play against a decent test attack.

:lol::lol::lol:

Just as @Sweeper said ballance was an accident waiting to happen.
He was the man to make way for KP and it's so frustrating that this call wasn't made.
Too many people looking at stats and averages rather than what's actually happening.
People can tell me cook and broads stats look good over last few series and that's fine but my eyes tell me they've been ordinary and the fact we've been average/poor in last 3 series shows my eyes aren't ready for scrap heap just yet.

:lol:

I called it back in Australia, said unless he sorted out being so deep he'd struggle against proper attacks.

All well and good with the piss poor sri lanka and indian attacks, and the slow wickets in the carribean where he had time to play the ball.

A bit of pace and the ball moving around and his technique is a glaring issue.

If he sorts it out he's gonna be one hell of a cricketer, we cannit knock what he's done as he played brilliantly in what he was playing against. But I said not to get carried away, johnson stuck his fingers in his ears however and any criticism to ballance was a load of shite etc.

i inow its his first test but lyth disappointed me with that 2nd innings. to be fair the lad was done no favours by moores pathetic management in the windies

I'm not sure why you think that. After our top order folded first time round there had been 882 runs for 16 wickets at close to 4 an over. Why not be more positive and try to set them a target? We can't possibly bat out two more full days.

If we bat all day tomorrow we'd be lucky to be 300 ahead. We'd have to bat into Monday and have 2 and a bit sessions to bowl them out, unlikely.

Our best chance of winning is score quickly and get bowled out after tea tomorrow with a lead of about 250. However I can't see us skittling NZ for less than that.

Nee chance of us winning from here. The plan will be to try and bat for as long as possible, which will be about two sessions knowing England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back