Education minister comes on tv to say Sats aren't difficult and gets question wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, I love it how the success of a persons career is defined simply by their earning power. I earn slightly more than my other half but my word in terms of work life balance, the enjoyment of her job and being happy her job pisses over mine all day long.

money is to a point more important than enjoyment

STEM grads have a better chance on the whole than arts students at having well paying jobs

STEM grads have a better chance on the whole than arts students at having well paying jobs

A very very tory view of the world and why we are in such a mess. Ironically if money really was more important than enjoyment and being fulfilled then this thread wouldnt be happening because we wouldnt have any schools...I could earn significantly more in the law which I trained for but chose to teach. Many of my colleagues do similar. You simply cannot define success by financial reward.

A very very tory view of the world and why we are in such a mess. Ironically if money really was more important than enjoyment and being fulfilled then this thread wouldnt be happening because we wouldnt have any schools...I could earn significantly more in the law which I trained for but chose to teach. Many of my colleagues do similar. You simply cannot define success by financial reward.

Okay so you'll be happy to do a job you love for NMW yes?

Plenty of people do. I have had lost of NMW jobs in the past, didnt enjoy them, didnt get any fulfillment. I ran my business for well under NMW but loved it.

So to confirm you'd be happy to do a job you loved on the NMW?

Business doesn't count as if it gets off the ground you have the potential of a huge salary increase

In fairness, he didn't mention success, he said importance, and only to a point. Yes, you might be fine doing a NMW job that you love if you are single with no commitments, or if you have a partner/wife/husband who is also contributing, but if you are the sole earner and are unable to provide for your family, that increased salary becomes more important.

The problem with the new test as I understand it is that the current year 6 that are about to sit it have had to cram a 4 year curriculum into two years. Im not 100% on this and would be great if any primary teachers could clarify that. If it is the case then they are being placed under insane pressure at a stupidly young age. It is a 4 year curriculum for a reason, it takes 4 years :cry:

Actually it is really 4 years in one if you have a split 5/6 class because in 2015 the tests were based on the previous curriculum so you were advised to teach the old curriculum for that year and if you had year 5s in the same class as 6s they would obviously have been doing this curriculum.
Then you would have to switch the next year so they would have studied the new curriculum for less than 1 year. September to May.

The problem with the new test as I understand it is that the current year 6 that are about to sit it have had to cram a 4 year curriculum into two years. Im not 100% on this and would be great if any primary teachers could clarify that. If it is the case then they are being placed under insane pressure at a stupidly young age. It is a 4 year curriculum for a reason, it takes 4 years :cry:

This is the case. The government have released some 'interim' standards, which are potentially useful for the teacher assessment of writing. The tests in maths, comprehension, spelling, grammar and punctuation however, could be drawn from any area of the curriculum. As a result there has been immense pressure to cram it all in.

So you'd work for approx 12k a year doing a job you love. You'd never own a home, never go on really nice holidays, have very few luxuries and struggle, all for a job you love?

Did you do an arts degree?

I think most people would agree that there is in reality some sort of trade off. The dream would be a well paid job doing what you love. But you wouldn't necessarily chase more money if it had a negative impact in your wider life. This could be in the form of time with family; levels of stress; doing a job you hate vs a job you enjoy (if not your dream).

I think most people would agree that there is in reality some sort of trade off. The dream would be a well paid job doing what you love. But you wouldn't necessarily chase more money if it had a negative impact in your wider life. This could be in the form of time with family; levels of stress; doing a job you hate vs a job you enjoy (if not your dream).

A trade off is realistic. Bagpuss here seems to think that money is no barometer of success. It clearly is.

Once you have the basics in life then I would say enjoying your job is much more important than cash. It is obviously a trade off but enjoying life with less cash is better than being miserable at graft. When the country was so much poorer people still want to set school and did sociology degrees.

Once you have the basics in life then I would say enjoying your job is much more important than cash. It is obviously a trade off but enjoying life with less cash is better than being miserable at graft. When the country was so much poorer people still want to set school and did sociology degrees.

I should hope so, it's been taught at universities since before most universities even existed there Harry.

Not that you'd let a fact get in the way of a sly dig though eh?

To be fair we are not in a mess. Secondary education, from my experience, seems to be getting better and better. A lot of recent reports regarding private schools closing due the improving performance of state schools - that represents massive success - you teachers don't give yourselves nearly enough praise. You will no doubt point to teachers wanting to leave the profession but, again in my experience, in any job I have been in most people want a change/retirement/fresh start - that is the norm. I think teachers workload is too high but the state education is far from being in a mess.

I should hope so, it's been taught at universities since before most universities even existed there Harry.

Not that you'd let a fact get in the way of a sly dig though eh?
I thought your stance was ultra utilitarian I'm glad you see the need for less useful study.

To be fair we are not in a mess. Secondary education, from my experience, seems to be getting better and better. A lot of recent reports regarding private schools closing due the improving performance of state schools - that represents massive success - you teachers don't give yourselves nearly enough praise. You will no doubt point to teachers wanting to leave the profession but, again in my experience, in any job I have been in most people want a change/retirement/fresh start - that is the norm. I think teachers workload is too high but the state education is far from being in a mess.
If that's the case, then why do this current government not acknowledge that, instead of belittling the efforts of teachers, and piling more work on their shoulders?

The curriculum changes have been a monumental fuck up. Still waiting for content to be published for some subjects for fist teaching this September.

Don't get started about EBac as well

If that's the case, then why do this current government not acknowledge that, instead of belittling the efforts of teachers, and piling more work on their shoulders?
Totally agree - there is a problem having privately educated Education Secretaries - they will never have a clue about what it is like to be in a state school. As a parent and as a school governor and as a husband of a secondary school teacher I am so impressed with the education our kids get and yet all I hear is negativity. My point was that some teachers such as Bagpuss do not help themselves with their continual negativity. Yes teachers want to leave the profession, but this is true of most jobs, yes they are getting their pensions reduced, but this is true of everyone. It is up to all of us to start and be positive about the education our kids get and thank the teachers because its light years ahead of what I received from my comprehensive. OFSTED has had a massive positive effect and yet teachers were dead against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back