Education minister comes on tv to say Sats aren't difficult and gets question wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you want an example of difficulty, have a look at this; its lifted from appendix to the national curriculum and explains terminology (allegedly).

Subordinate clause: A clause which is subordinate to
some other part of the same
sentence is a subordinate clause; for
example, in The apple that I ate was
sour
, the clause that I ate is
subordinate to apple (which it
modifies). Subordinate clauses
contrast with co-ordinate clauses as
in It was sour but looked very tasty.
(Contrast: main clause)
However, clauses that are directly
quoted as direct speech are not
subordinate clauses.

Now, I can just about work my way through this. Explaining it to 10 and 11 year olds is a different matter. Getting them to retain the information is very difficult. Justifying the retention, pretty impossible. Throw in that they also need to show understanding of such things as subordinating conjunctions v coordinating conjunctions; past progressive, present perfect tenses and subjunctive forms; and you start to understand how badly pitched the new system is.

Worth repeating, knowing this stuff does not alter the quality of your writing.

If you want an example of difficulty, have a look at this; its lifted from appendix to the national curriculum and explains terminology (allegedly).

Subordinate clause: A clause which is subordinate to
some other part of the same
sentence is a subordinate clause; for
example, in The apple that I ate was
sour
, the clause that I ate is
subordinate to apple (which it
modifies). Subordinate clauses
contrast with co-ordinate clauses as
in It was sour but looked very tasty.
(Contrast: main clause)
However, clauses that are directly
quoted as direct speech are not
subordinate clauses.

Now, I can just about work my way through this. Explaining it to 10 and 11 year olds is a different matter. Getting them to retain the information is very difficult. Justifying the retention, pretty impossible. Throw in that they also need to show understanding of such things as subordinating conjunctions v coordinating conjunctions; past progressive, present perfect tenses and subjunctive forms; and you start to understand how badly pitched the new system is.

Worth repeating, knowing this stuff does not alter the quality of your writing.
:lol:

Surely the first rule of explaining something isn't to use the exact same terminology ?! :lol:

What is the Large Hadron Collider? It is a large thing that collides hadrons

How does it include me?

I read the lad's post. If people are going to quote me and carry on about things other than the difficulty of the exams even when I've repeatedly acknowledged the other factors they bring up (unsuitable curriculum, pointless, pressure inducing etc) then I'm going to point them towards where I refer specifically to the perceived difficulty of the exams
Because you've had your question answered but you still continue to ask it.

Because you've had your question answered but you still continue to ask it.

I would like more than one opinion and if there is no counter opinion then I'm worried as to how valid the only opinions offered are.

What is this c-r-e-a-t-i-v-i-t-y you speak of? Wasnt it Thicky Nicky Morgan who said that choosing to study Arts holds kids back for the rest of their lives? Somebody needs to tell my Mrs as her dance school is doing pretty well ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...pupils-held-back-by-overemphasis-on-arts.html

I reckon it's an absolute stonewall fact that the median salary for an arts graduate is below that of a STEM graduate

I would like more than one opinion and if there is no counter opinion then I'm worried as to how valid the only opinions offered are.

I reckon it's an absolute stonewall fact that the median salary for an arts graduate is below that of a STEM graduate
Design and technology (engineering included) are classed as creative subjects btw and are being pushed out of schools. Sandhill academy in Sunderland has no DT dept from what I'm told now.

But it does not limit your career prospects, her point only stands if the only thing you value in a career is money.....Your average Aldi manager starts on double of the salary of a Junior Doctor, based on Thicky Nickys ridiculous logic a medical degree will limit your career opportunities.

Design and technology (engineering included) are classed as creative subjects btw and are being pushed out of schools. Sandhill academy in Sunderland has no DT dept from what I'm told now.

Thats only cause they done want the Thorney Close kids playing with sharp objects or flames on cookers :lol::lol::lol:

I wouldn't class engineering as creative and it's definitely a STEM subject at uni.

DT was compulsory until Y12 at my school

But it does not limit your career prospects, her point only stands if the only thing you value in a career is money.....Your average Aldi manager starts on double of the salary of a Junior Doctor, based on Thicky Nickys ridiculous logic a medical degree will limit your career opportunities.

Thats only cause they done want the Thorney Close kids playing with sharp objects or flames on cookers :lol::lol::lol:

Why are we only using starting salaries?

Guaranteed an arts subject limits your opportunities. If it didn't there wouldn't be such disparity in earnings.

I wouldn't class engineering as creative and it's definitely a STEM subject at uni.

DT was compulsory until Y12 at my school

Why are we only using starting salaries?

Guaranteed an arts subject limits your opportunities. If it didn't there wouldn't be such disparity in earnings.
I'm sure the engineers who designed the Millau Viaduct in France or the bloodhound land speed vehicle would strongly disagree about your dismissal of their creativity mind

I'm sure the engineers who designed the Millau Viaduct in France or the bloodhound land speed vehicle would strongly disagree about your dismissal of their creativity mind

As a creative subject at school you nugget! I'm not saying it doesn't involve creativity.

As a creative subject at school you nugget! I'm not saying it doesn't involve creativity.
DT is a creative subject. Creativity is not just prancing around in a leotard quoting Shakespeare with a banjo you know!

Some of the work my A level product design kids do is to industrial design degree standards

DT is a creative subject. Creativity is not just prancing around in a leotard quoting Shakespeare with a banjo you know!

Some of the work my A level product design kids do is to industrial design degree standards

There was zero creativity when I did it

Here's some wood

Cut it

I don't necessarily have a problem with any of this. My child is in reception class and honestly my main frustration is that he isn't challenged enough academically.

I think the main aim of primary school should be to give children a solid understanding of academic subjects which will form a good foundation for the rest of their learning.

I have looked at the sample papers for six/seven year olds and I don't think it is that challenging. I honestly think my son could probably manage around 70% of it now.

He came home with a sicker the other day for being able to count to ten ffs!! I think the teachers expectation of the children is far too low.

I don't necessarily have a problem with any of this. My child is in reception class and honestly my main frustration is that he isn't challenged enough academically.

I think the main aim of primary school should be to give children a solid understanding of academic subjects which will form a good foundation for the rest of their learning.

I have looked at the sample papers for six/seven year olds and I don't think it is that challenging. I honestly think my son could probably manage around 70% of it now.

He came home with a sicker the other day for being able to count to ten ffs!! I think the teachers expectation of the children is far too low.

Aye, but if your reception age kid can do Y3 work to a high standard he's probably in the top 5-10% of his cohort

If the material isn't appropriate for 65% of the cohort there's a problem.

You're assuming the other kids should be keeping up with someone who is one of the most gifted kids in his class. Children develop at different rates. There were people at my school with much better SAT grades than myself who left school at 16 to do nowt.

If your lad is in the bottom half of his class by Y6 I wouldn't imagine you or anyone would be happy if the exams were too hard for two thirds of the class

Is thst all that matters like?

You can't reduce everything down to finances and economics. There is far more to life than that.

There was zero creativity when I did it

Here's some wood

Cut it
I don't know about cutting wood but it sounds like you certainly didn't cut the mustard marra ;)

Much bigger focus on design now and design theory. The scientific aspect of it is far more rigorous from when I did it as well.

That explains a lot.
It doesnt bother me as Im paid hourly. If the designers/architects have no experience of the practicalities then I/we get paid for doing the job twice or three times or even four times. sometimes even going back to the first one!
"I didnt think it would look like that!"
"Well wtf makes you qualified to be a fuckin designer then?"

Is thst all that matters like?

You can't reduce everything down to finances and economics. There is far more to life than that.

I don't know about cutting wood but it sounds like you certainly didn't cut the mustard marra ;)

Exactly, I love it how the success of a persons career is defined simply by their earning power. I earn slightly more than my other half but my word in terms of work life balance, the enjoyment of her job and being happy her job pisses over mine all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back