Durham vs Warwickshire

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can blame him for the dire financial situation the club are in. I always found it a bit suspicious that he left the club then re-joined not long after, seemed a bit odd.
Like most in senior management,Harker probably had a lucrative redundancy or severance package written into his contract. I assume that the board wanted to get rid when the financial mess the club was in came to light but then found how costly it would be to get rid so he was retained by default. Pure guesswork on my behalf but it seems the only logical explanation.

It's a shame some people missed a great game of cricket because of a line on a map. I suppose it just goes to show that for some, being a supporter is conditional.
TBF my bairn was playing in a trial match at Whickham CC and the scheduling for this years CC etc. has been diabolical. All over the place. Once upon a time you could spend most of the school holidays down at DCCC, now its next to nowt. Disappointing.

TBF my bairn was playing in a trial match at Whickham CC and the scheduling for this years CC etc. has been diabolical. All over the place. Once upon a time you could spend most of the school holidays down at DCCC, now its next to nowt. Disappointing.
The biggest reason why iam no longer a member. The counties obsession with t20 cricket played during the height of summer has resulted in the championship being played in April May and September. Even this 50 over competition has been squeezed in.

It's a shame some people missed a great game of cricket because of a line on a map. I suppose it just goes to show that for some, being a supporter is conditional.

aye this for me. i would feel differently perhaps if it was a regular thing but to help celebrate teh 150th anniversary of south north seems fair enough.

i might follow sunderland but that doesn't mean i won't allow a mag to follow dccc [as long as he puts money into the club and keeps his mouth shut about footy, and no wearing barcodes either - next to impossible for mags anar]

I was thinking more of the Trappist style beers - Hoegaarden's of the world are just overpriced for what they are ..... and not really beer. But they always seem to have the desired effect :rolleyes:

very hit or miss mind, had some truly revolting trappist beers before. twas all doombar for me last night, followed me from pub to pub. one pint of gadds to start it off them x pints of doom bar. annoyingly just as the unicorn closed they put on a beer i hadn't had before. the bar girl gave us a half pint 'taster' and it was lovely, jake the snake, viper ales. golden and citrussy and i really liked it despite that not being my normal sort of beer.

Last edited:
aye this for me. i would feel differently perhaps if it was a regular thing but to help celebrate teh 150th anniversary of south north seems fair enough.

i might follow sunderland but that doesn't mean i won't allow a mag to follow dccc [as long as he puts money into the club and keeps his mouth shut about footy, and no wearing barcodes either - next to impossible for mags anar]

very hit or miss mind, had some truly revolting trappist beers before. twas all doombar for me last night, followed me from pub to pub. one pint of gadds to start it off them x pints of doom bar. annoyingly just as the unicorn closed they put on a beer i hadn't had before. the bar girl gave us a half pint 'taster' and it was lovely, jake the snake, viper ales. golden and citrussy and i really liked it despite that not being my normal sort of beer.
I know what you mean with some of those Trappist beers - I tend to stick to ones I know or get recommended. Viper Ales? A new one on me - and I enjoy the occasional refreshing citrus pint. One to look out for thanks.

How's your 24 hour bug developing? :)

It's absolutely criminal the scheduling this season. The test match was empty last week which started on a Sunday, so hopefully the clowns at The ECB take note and possibly look at making things better. We don't have a home county championship game during the summer holidays which is just stupid, in fact I think we only have 1 county championship game whilst the bairns are off school.

I quite enjoy the Pro 40/Pro 50 games and it's a pain this scheduling especially for those who work. Granted they can't keep everyone happy with how they schedule things but last season I thought they done it quite well. Sunday watching the Pro 40 used to be very enjoyable.

It's absolutely criminal the scheduling this season. The test match was empty last week which started on a Sunday, so hopefully the clowns at The ECB take note and possibly look at making things better. We don't have a home county championship game during the summer holidays which is just stupid, in fact I think we only have 1 county championship game whilst the bairns are off school.

I quite enjoy the Pro 40/Pro 50 games and it's a pain this scheduling especially for those who work. Granted they can't keep everyone happy with how they schedule things but last season I thought they done it quite well. Sunday watching the Pro 40 used to be very enjoyable.
The schedule is all down to the counties wanting an extended T20 tournament. It has gone from a two week mid summer festival with a one off finals days, to doubling the group matches and introducing quarter finals. Now this season the fixture list is built around Friday nights being T20 night. The reason why there is little cricket in August is that they had to have a week clear for the quarter finals and 5 days for finals day. That is why the championship is being played in April May and September.

The schedule is all down to the counties wanting an extended T20 tournament. It has gone from a two week mid summer festival with a one off finals days, to doubling the group matches and introducing quarter finals. Now this season the fixture list is built around Friday nights being T20 night. The reason why there is little cricket in August is that they had to have a week clear for the quarter finals and 5 days for finals day. That is why the championship is being played in April May and September.
This! Like what i keep saying keep t20 to 10 matches played in a 3 week period. One Day cup is played April-July with the KO stage played August then a final in September. Championship cricket is naturally played all season long with the majority of games being played over April, May and the 6 week holidays.

I know what you mean with some of those Trappist beers - I tend to stick to ones I know or get recommended. Viper Ales? A new one on me - and I enjoy the occasional refreshing citrus pint. One to look out for thanks.

How's your 24 hour bug developing? :)

:lol::lol: will keep you posted

T20 has inevitably ruined cricket in this country, the T20 competition itself isn't even interesting anymore, the original concept of a bish bash bosh was good, now it's taken far too seriously ( except Durham who are rubbish at it ) captains changing fields after every ball just slows the game down, the whole ethos of the concept has been lost.

1. If you refused to go to the game because it was played all of 20 minutes away from where DCCC normally play you can not honestly class yourself as a DCCC fan.

2. Anyone saying that that aren't against out grounds but are when they are played in N'land are pathetic for getting too caught up in local footballing rivalries. DCCC is the North East's only professional cricket outfit, they are therefore the 'local team' for those that live in Newcastle (situated in the NORTH EAST). You're also daft for saying games should be played at Stockton CC or Sunderland CC. One is further away from DCCC and more of a hassle to travel too than South North was, the other has one of the worst wickets and playing outfield in the NEPL this season - not worthy of first class cricket.

3. People that boycotted travelling to South North because of travel charges or seat hire costs are wrong - both of these money raising exercises were put in place by DCCC, before you criticise SNCC make sure to check where your facts are coming from - a lot of people getting their accusations wrong.

4. DCCC were more than generous in giving up a home fixture to SNCC to allow them to celebrate their 150th anniversary and I hope that in future the county show the same good will to other clubs in the North East that reach milestones in their history (cue beggars telling me how old their clubs are but are yet to host a DCCC game).

5. DCCC would expect 2,000 through the gate for an all day 50 over game at the Riverside on a Thursday; They got 1,750 into SNCC. DCCC would expect 100 into hospitality for the day for a game like this at the Riverside; They filled the indoor school with 450 people. The close proximity of fans to the pitch side and busy-ness of the ground made it look a lot better than the same game would have looked at the Riverside with a sparse crowd and people more than 100 metres away from any action. For me these numbers show that it was a success and justify the decision of DCCC to allow a game to move away from the Riverside.

6. Speaking to players after the game not one of them had a bad word to say about the day, the ground, the wicket or the fact that the game was played away from the Riverside - in fact many (Stoneman, Breese, Jennings, Muchall, Mustard and Collingwood - just the ones I spoke too) all said it was a fantastic day and they thoroughly enjoyed it. If the players are for out grounds, the fans should be too.

Finally, I hope that anyone that did come to the game, be it with reservations or not, had a fantastic day and recognised the effort that was made by SNCC staff (as well as DCCC staff) to host the game and making it a spectacle for all in attendance. I am all for out grounds being used by counties wherever they are in the region, and I hope that the success of the RL50 match at SNCC leads to DCCC using more out grounds in future.

T20 has inevitably ruined cricket in this country, the T20 competition itself isn't even interesting anymore, the original concept of a bish bash bosh was good, now it's taken far too seriously ( except Durham who are rubbish at it ) captains changing fields after every ball just slows the game down, the whole ethos of the concept has been lost.
i disagree re rubbish. durham have produced some fantastic performances this season. its consistency that is durhams problem in t20. the northants home t20 saw some of the best power hitting you could see from hastings and mcleod.

Fair post that mind ^^

Just a question, I didn't attend the game but I'm sure I read that you couldn't buy alcohol in the ground. Why? You would be able to at 50 over games at Durham... surely a decent income for the club?

if its good for durham ccc they can play at south northumberland in the 50 over competition, more than once but imo the championship and t20 should be at the emirates icg

also re t20 though we lost bairstows 100 this year up here was a fanastic innings. plus the lancs home defeat by a run was a great game and atmosphere. there was an american bloke near me for the northants match and he could not believe how good the crowd was and hitting in the middle from both teams was. he was right into the game at the end

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair post that mind ^^

Just a question, I didn't attend the game but I'm sure I read that you couldn't buy alcohol in the ground. Why? You would be able to at 50 over games at Durham... surely a decent income for the club?

I believe the decision not to allow the sale of alcohol in the ground (from the club bar) was forced upon them through licencing as opposed to it being a conscious decision not to let people in. With SNCC being a 'private members club' apparently only members of the club are allowed to drink in the clubhouse - a rule the club only found out the week of the fixture. Maybe the club should have made a rule that any ticket holder could become a member for the day and allow them to buy alcohol.

I do believe that the club still did well from hosting the game and that the positive feedback from the day was as good to them as bar takings - maybe if they are lucky enough to host another DCCC game they will resolve the licencing law with the council.

Also Stephen I completely agree about 4 day cricket & T20 (the most popular forms of the came) not being moved from the Riverside - the home of DCCC. 4 day should not be on the basis that if you take one game away from the Riverside, as much as in travelling terms it would be a home game, it is still a new wicket and the knowledge of the host ground may not be as good. The RL50 comp provides a terrific platform to take DCCC around the North East region and (hopefully) raise awareness and support of the county cricket scene.

Who knows, as a result of the game at SNCC there may be a South North junior that will one day represent DCCC and say that it was that one Thursday that inspired him.

thats it mackemmover, the more kids get inspired the better. one t20 this season i sat near a family, who had travelled over from cumbria so their son could watch a game live. the kid was a off spinner.

i went down darlington to watch a durham match about 15 years back and liked that out ground.

1. If you refused to go to the game because it was played all of 20 minutes away from where DCCC normally play you can not honestly class yourself as a DCCC fan.

2. Anyone saying that that aren't against out grounds but are when they are played in N'land are pathetic for getting too caught up in local footballing rivalries. DCCC is the North East's only professional cricket outfit, they are therefore the 'local team' for those that live in Newcastle (situated in the NORTH EAST). You're also daft for saying games should be played at Stockton CC or Sunderland CC. One is further away from DCCC and more of a hassle to travel too than South North was, the other has one of the worst wickets and playing outfield in the NEPL this season - not worthy of first class cricket.

3. People that boycotted travelling to South North because of travel charges or seat hire costs are wrong - both of these money raising exercises were put in place by DCCC, before you criticise SNCC make sure to check where your facts are coming from - a lot of people getting their accusations wrong.

4. DCCC were more than generous in giving up a home fixture to SNCC to allow them to celebrate their 150th anniversary and I hope that in future the county show the same good will to other clubs in the North East that reach milestones in their history (cue beggars telling me how old their clubs are but are yet to host a DCCC game).

5. DCCC would expect 2,000 through the gate for an all day 50 over game at the Riverside on a Thursday; They got 1,750 into SNCC. DCCC would expect 100 into hospitality for the day for a game like this at the Riverside; They filled the indoor school with 450 people. The close proximity of fans to the pitch side and busy-ness of the ground made it look a lot better than the same game would have looked at the Riverside with a sparse crowd and people more than 100 metres away from any action. For me these numbers show that it was a success and justify the decision of DCCC to allow a game to move away from the Riverside.

6. Speaking to players after the game not one of them had a bad word to say about the day, the ground, the wicket or the fact that the game was played away from the Riverside - in fact many (Stoneman, Breese, Jennings, Muchall, Mustard and Collingwood - just the ones I spoke too) all said it was a fantastic day and they thoroughly enjoyed it. If the players are for out grounds, the fans should be too.

Finally, I hope that anyone that did come to the game, be it with reservations or not, had a fantastic day and recognised the effort that was made by SNCC staff (as well as DCCC staff) to host the game and making it a spectacle for all in attendance. I am all for out grounds being used by counties wherever they are in the region, and I hope that the success of the RL50 match at SNCC leads to DCCC using more out grounds in future.

Absolutely nothing to do with football rivalries. I support Durham County Cricket Club, NOT Northumberland.

I class myself a fan of Durham COUNTY Cricket Club, hence the payment of £400 for a gold membership a couple of year ago. I'm not remotely interested in cricket in South Northumberland, especially a team who just throw money at things for the sake of it, I mean they tried to buy the T20 cup the other week by paying Marcus North £500 yet managed to get beat off Durham Academy in the final.

Seat hire - no other out ground on the county circuit charge for this. FACT!!. £15 ticket for a general public member is more than enough, they shouldn't then have to pay for a seat.

My partner has mobility issues and we weren't guaranteed a car parking space at the ground, so we couldn't risk attending as Gosforth isn't a place we know well and have no idea on alternative car parking (don't say get the bus from CLS as well, very few did, the club sent one bus up with 5 people on it).

Durham is Durham, nothing to do with Northumberland as far as I'm concerned. Yorkshire folk would say the same if they played a first class game in Stockton or Manchester for example.

Stockton & Sunderland are traditional out grounds for Durham CCC likewise Darlington and Hartlepool. Gosforth was never part of County Durham. I'm all for Durham playing whatever format of 1st class cricket in County Durham.

You couldn't even by a pint in the ground during the game.

The players are hardly going to say it was shite are they?

4. DCCC were more than generous in giving up a home fixture to SNCC to allow them to celebrate their 150th anniversary and I hope that in future the county show the same good will to other clubs in the North East that reach milestones in their history (cue beggars telling me how old their clubs are but are yet to host a DCCC game)

Pompus drivel

Actually liking this Gordon Muchall bloke now

Last edited:
South North has been used by DCCC 2nd XI for a number of years so it has been on the rota of out grounds used as much as Stockton or Hartlepool etc (on the basis DCCC 1st XI haven't played at an out ground for a number of years).

You seem to be missing the point about the game not being to promote Northumberland cricket or South North but in fact an opportunity to take Durham Cricket to a wider audience in the NORTH EAST - their catchment area for players. Durham Academy choose to play in the NORTH EAST Premier League, a small clue that they are representative of the whole region and not just county Durham.

I agree with the seat hire being awoke, and as I said in my first post that was not an SNCC initiative - it was DCCC. You also seem to have missed another point with regard to the sale of alcohol - in line with the license that SNCC hold, it would have been ILLEGAL for them to sell alcohol to anyone that is not a member of the club. Shame on you for condoning that they should break the law to suit a few people that hadn't read the info saying it was bring your own drink.

Your comment regarding Yorkshire complaining if they used an out ground outside their county border also sits badly with me; have you seen the size of Yorkshire?! The amount of grounds suitable (correct facilities, amenities, equipment etc) to host first class cricket in Yorkshire will be twice, maybe three times more than that of Durham - hence why DCCC have to look slightly further a field (20 minutes north to Gosforth) to find grounds that are capable.

Finally, I have heard many players slag off wickets and grounds - especially out grounds - so as much as to media they may say it was a good day, behind closed doors they have no reason to big-up a ground if they don't like it. So yes, if they think its shite, they will actually say it's shite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back