Danny Welbeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

So it's okay for the regular names, irrespective of form, to be called up, but no mention of Defoe. And Townsend is one of the best/worst examples depending how you view it, of people being called up because of the team they played for rather than on form and performance.

None of that is even close to what I said though.

If you play well for England, then yes I think you deserve to get constantly called up. I have got no idea how anyone can disagree with that. When you say irrespective of form do you mean for club or the national team? Do you think that someone who is playing well for club they deserve to play above someone who is playing well for the national team? Because that makes absolutely no sense.

On the second point, that isn't true. Townsend was getting the call up because he was doing well for the national side. He then got outperformed by others, wasn't doing anything for his club team and hasn't been in the last two England squads.

His international form is really good so his club form doesn't matter as much.

Aye, fook it, so why does grandpa bother watching matches if the old FA twat has already picked the fookin team.......

None of that is even close to what I said though.

If you play well for England, then yes I think you deserve to get constantly called up. I have got no idea how anyone can disagree with that. When you say irrespective of form do you mean for club or the national team? Do you think that someone who is playing well for club they deserve to play above someone who is playing well for the national team? Because that makes absolutely no sense.

On the second point, that isn't true. Townsend was getting the call up because he was doing well for the national side. He then got outperformed by others, wasn't doing anything for his club team and hasn't been in the last two England squads.

Thick as fookin mince

He's paid for results not witty interviews. 100% record in qualification while also blooding young players in a way previous England managers wouldn't have. And instilled an ability to switch to multiple formations into this squad.

Vast improvement on his predecessors.
We've qualified for every major tournament since 1994, bar a certain Tufty campaign. And our last WC performance was our worst ever. So I don't get that Hodgson is a "vast improvement on his predecessors", bar good old Tufty.

Now all of those mentioning Welbeck aren't really getting the OP's point. He knows fine well that if fit he should go to the finals and that he has a bloody good record. The OP's point is that another striker with a good pedigree is currently available, also has a pretty good record for England, is scoring goals but doesn't get a mention from the slobbering oaf. He should be bigging up the players he has at his disposal not hang his hat on someone who may be fit but still hasn't played too many games in a year

Because he s one of our best players !?

He's paid for results not witty interviews. 100% record in qualification while also blooding young players in a way previous England managers wouldn't have. And instilled an ability to switch to multiple formations into this squad.

Vast improvement on his predecessors.
It's not cool to like him

Because he s one of our best players !?

It's not cool to like him
This is nearly spot on. He's the Phil Collins of international management.

However, I can see he's been effective, but I wouldn't say I like the bloke no does anyone need to at the end of the day. Hodgson, not Phil Collins...

Now all of those mentioning Welbeck aren't really getting the OP's point. He knows fine well that if fit he should go to the finals and that he has a bloody good record. The OP's point is that another striker with a good pedigree is currently available, also has a pretty good record for England, is scoring goals but doesn't get a mention from the slobbering oaf. He should be bigging up the players he has at his disposal not hang his hat on someone who may be fit but still hasn't played too many games in a year
Posting "Welbeck :lol::lol::lol:" suggests otherwise.

Posting "Welbeck :lol::lol::lol:" suggests otherwise.
and just to confirm about people missing his point
Why should Welbeck be even talked about when he hasn't kicked a ball? I'm sure the OP knows he's a decent player and if he hadn't been injured he would be in every England squad. If he doesn't then he's a daft cunt and I've missed the f***ing point

Roy should be working on a front 2 of Vardy and Kane with Rooney behind them.

Vardy, Kane, Rooney & Walcott are definites if they stay fit.

If Welbeck proves his fitness over the last 12 games then he'll go. It's a big 'if' at the moment mind and while Hodgson should be keeping an open mind, I'm sure he'll go with Austin or Ings before considering an in form Defoe

Obviously no player is going who won't be match fit at the start of the tournament.

Players get into the England squad based on club form but they stay their based on what they have done previously for England.

We've qualified for every major tournament since 1994, bar a certain Tufty campaign. And our last WC performance was our worst ever. So I don't get that Hodgson is a "vast improvement on his predecessors", bar good old Tufty.
Yes, but that's not an argument, it's you picking two isolated facts to support your argument. It's called confirmation bias. For example...

Ramsey and Robson are widely accepted to be the most successful England managers ever. But Ramsey had one of the best squads in our history and only managed to win it at home. He then threw away a 2-0 lead in the quarter finals in the next campaign with ridiculous substitutions. And then failed to qualify at all in 1974! As for his Euros record...

Robson similarly. Got to the semi finals in 1990 but only after the squad basically ignored him for the whole tournament and chose their own formation. And he lost every single game in Euro 1988. And he had a phenomenal squad too.

See what I did there?

As for Hodgson, you conveniently ignore the squads of the various managers, the fact that our group in the last World Cup actually had us behind two former trophy winners both of whom were higher ranked at the time, as opposed to Capello's Algeria / USA / Slovenia group that we scraped out of, the fact that we qualified for the last campaign with a 100% record for the first time in our history. I could go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back