Concerns for the season ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poyet will be hating it, but this summer is very odd and fees and reported wages are through the roof, we aren't in the position to spend loads on wages and transfer fees and Poyet will know that.
Where do you get that information from? We have a £14m bid still sitting on the table. That in itself represents a fair amount in terms of fees.
If they know the budget they should be working within it, we need players in and soon.

My concern is not so much about who has signed so far but what has (seemingly) not happened/signed.

We have went as far as agreeing a fee with Borini's club after having him on loan since last August with no idea that he doesn't want to come here.

We have failed to bring in Alosno who we had on loan since January.

Vergini?

This Uruguayan chap has now gone tits up even after Gus has went on record to say he has talked to his people in Uruguay and it's all go.

Obviously we can only comment on bits and bobs that become public knowledge but combined with Poyet's public frustrations I have concerns about Congerton and our recruitment process.

Where do you get that information from? We have a £14m bid still sitting on the table. That in itself represents a fair amount in terms of fees.
If they know the budget they should be working within it, we need players in and soon.
We have got a large offer on the table, how much that represents of the budget we don't know. But it doesn't hide the fact that fees are high, we can't spend £15M on 4 or 5 players, nor will there be a huge increase in the wages, I'm basing it off recent transfer history of the club.

could be worse, we could be southampton

I'd take Southampton's position over ours every single time, bar the teams that have just got promoted, we have the worst squad of players in the league, anyone saying they are not worried about this season needs to take their red and white blinkers off, we are at least 5 good 1st team players away from even being competitive in the league.

I'm not sure why people are worried, the club is carefully taking it's time building a squad for next season and at the same time trying to ship out the remaining players we have who don't feature in our future plans.

We have a shortlist of targets and we are trying to get them in on contracts that make financial sense, if these targets prove impossible we will work on alternatives.

What we cannot afford to do is either bring in the wrong players or even bring in the right players but on the wrong contract for several reasons.

Last summer we bought players quite quickly but without taking enough care, it seems strange that people seem to be complaining that we are taking more time this summer.

While it’s obviously hugely disappointing we haven’t managed to get in the players we want, it’s still not time to panic. The squad we have now is good enough to pick up a couple of points in first three games of the season and that buys us time to get the players we need before the window shuts on 31/08/2014.

Between now and the 31/08/2014, if we could sign perhaps another three/four players, I’d be confident we will avoid relegation and have a fairly boring mid-table season.

It should also be noted there is also an international break after the QPR game, so any new signings on or around 31/08/2014 will have a couple of weeks to get to know the team/manager. Teams around us - particulary Stoke - have always waited to the last minute to get deals done as clubs/players are desperate.

We have got a large offer on the table, how much that represents of the budget we don't know. But it doesn't hide the fact that fees are high, we can't spend £15M on 4 or 5 players, nor will there be a huge increase in the wages, I'm basing it off recent transfer history of the club.
If that's the case (I see little evidence it is) then the prolonged chase of borini is madness.
In other words you have no idea if it's true or not!

A few years ago I would probably have been on the verge of a hissy fit, but I've now reached a point in my life where I have far more important things to worry about (a business and family)

It actually quite enjoyable being so relaxed about it all and not having a breakdown when deals collapse

I'm sure we will sign some players and if we don't we will probably go down, either way there's nothing I can do about it so no point worrying or getting stressed

Well aye, it's not like it's keeping me up at night or i'm actually genuinely stressed. But in the context of football I've got concerns about it, I think we're going to be relegated on current evidence but saying so on here gets you called all sorts.

Well aye, it's not like it's keeping me up at night or i'm actually genuinely stressed. But in the context of football I've got concerns about it, I think we're going to be relegated on current evidence but saying so on here gets you called all sorts.

I've no concerns, I'm sure it will sort itself out

At what point are people allowed to say we're really worried about next season and think we'll struggle, without being called a bed wetter or fanny or something like that?

We've got a squad which has scraped survival two years on the spin, our only improvements are an average right back, a CM who hasn't looked too hot in the premiership yet and a decent keeper. Our second top scorer and best striker from last year has went back to his parent club and doesn't want to sign. We have two capable CBs both of whom are in their 30's, our 3 strikers scored a total of 9 goals last season (5 of which were in a three game purple patch which may or may not be replicated), and we cannot get any of our top signings.

If this was another club, we'd be pointing at them, laughing and saying they're going down. Think it's understandable if people have legitimate concerns as at the minute we look well short of the required level.
I think Pure Football should be split into two forums for the bed wetters and the happy clappers and each of us should decide which one we want to join.

In my case the sheets are feeling a little damp

I'm quite calm about everything because I never actually believed that after we'd stayed up that anything would actually change. Different faces, same shit.

I also fully expect one of our better/valuable players to leave on transfer deadline day. Probably Johnson, Cattermole or Whickam.

At what point are people allowed to say we're really worried about next season and think we'll struggle, without being called a bed wetter or fanny or something like that?

We've got a squad which has scraped survival two years on the spin, our only improvements are an average right back, a CM who hasn't looked too hot in the premiership yet and a decent keeper. Our second top scorer and best striker from last year has went back to his parent club and doesn't want to sign. We have two capable CBs both of whom are in their 30's, our 3 strikers scored a total of 9 goals last season (5 of which were in a three game purple patch which may or may not be replicated), and we cannot get any of our top signings.

If this was another club, we'd be pointing at them, laughing and saying they're going down. Think it's understandable if people have legitimate concerns as at the minute we look well short of the required level.

The transfer window has been open for 29 days, it's gonna be open for another 33... :rolleyes:

If I am honest I didn't know much about Rodriguez so it's not the fact that this particular signing isn't happening. It's not knowing why he isn't coming and whether whatever has halted the signing would apply to other potential targets and stop them from signing.
If that is the case then things could definitely get tricky.

At the minute, we are far weaker than last season, where we were one of the worst sides in the league (the worst for much of it). I sincerely hope we get some quality in over the next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back