Chrisitian bakers lose appeal case

Status
Not open for further replies.

The gay bloke has made something out of nothing. He could have went somewhere else, staff said they would do it themselves. But no, another gay fighting injustice where there is none. Pathetic.
Gays, members of society who want to be treat as equals.
Yet they still have marches and parades to say how proud they are.

And yet , the position of Christians in Northern Ireland is not just to disagree with gay marriage themselves but to prevent gay marriage for other people who don't share their beliefs.

And gays wanting marches and parades? In Northern Ireland? If they don't go on marches they'll be the only f***ing ones

What I don't understand about this whole case is why they are being punished for something they didn't want to do, whatever the reason. If someone came into my bakery and said will you make me a cake shaped like the Taj Mahal and I said no then they'd go elsewhere to find a bakery that would. Just as would if I was asked to make a cake of the iconic (not) Sulzer RND68M diesel engine. As soon as religion or sexual orientation comes into it, common sense goes out of the window and hysteria/PC comes in.

I blame Brexit

Just for authenticity, I don't have a bakery. I'm using hypothesis.

What I don't understand about this whole case is why they are being punished for something they didn't want to do, whatever the reason. If someone came into my bakery and said will you make me a cake shaped like the Taj Mahal and I said no then they'd go elsewhere to find a bakery that would. Just as would if I was asked to make a cake of the iconic (not) Sulzer RND68M diesel engine. As soon as religion or sexual orientation comes into it, common sense goes out of the window and hysteria/PC comes in.

I blame Brexit

Just for authenticity, I don't have a bakery. I'm using hypothesis.

Yes, but you wouldn't be discriminating against someone in that case, you would just be turning business down. If you refused to make a cake shaped like the Taj Mahal because the person requesting it was Indian, or of Indian decent, you would be discriminating against making a cake for someone based of their racial profile.

Yes, but you wouldn't be discriminating against someone in that case, you would just be turning business down. If you refused to make a cake shaped like the Taj Mahal because the person requesting it was Indian, or of Indian decent, you would be discriminating against making a cake for someone based of their racial profile.

So, if I turned down the request to make a Taj Mahal cake by my mate Ian (not his real name) would be me turning down business, whereas turning down the same request from my mate Imran (not his real name, it's Ahktar) be construed as me being racist and discriminatory?

Would saying that I don't feel I have the skills to do justice to your request be sufficient?

It's putting me off opening a bakery to be honest. Dreams shattered.

Should have baked them a cake and iced it with "It's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" scrawled across the top.

I learned that phrase from watching Jerry Springer

Little understanding in this thread of the issue. Companies can't discriminate on grounds of sexual orientation (or other protected characteristics). Gay couple ask for cake with pro gay marriage message. Company say no, that it has nothing to do with gayness just they don't support gay marriage. If gay couple asked for other cake that would be fine. Court say no, if you don't do a pro marriage cake because it's for gay weddings but you would a straight one, that amounts to discrimination. If the bakery had refused to make any political cakes (and thus refused this ones on the grounds they didn't do political cakes instead of the fact it was pro gay marriage) they would have been fine.

So in answer to questions 1) a bakery wouldn't need to make a bdsm style gay cake, if they didn't make straight ones either, as they would be not doing sexual cakes in general, not gay 2) a Muslim can refuse to do a peppa pig one, as Pegga pig isn't a characteristic you can't discriminate against.

Etc etc

I actually don't agree entirely with this but you can see the logic, and it doesn't mean a lot of what people seem to think it does

So, if I turned down the request to make a Taj Mahal cake by my mate Ian (not his real name) would be me turning down business, whereas turning down the same request from my mate Imran (not his real name, it's Ahktar) be construed as me being racist and discriminatory?

Would saying that I don't feel I have the skills to do justice to your request be sufficient?

It's putting me off opening a bakery to be honest. Dreams shattered.
It depends why. If you don't make the cake because you don't have the materials, aren't good enough etc., that's fine. If it's because you don't like Indians it's not fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back