Chrisitian bakers lose appeal case

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't think the issue was the orientation of the customer as much as the nature of the cake they wanted made. Would you, if you were a baker, be happy making a cake that said "I, Frijj, am a stupid, knuckle dragging c**t"?

The cake just said "we support gay marriage." The slogan isn't offensive, and the rights of religious people not to get married to someone of the same gender were not infringed. There was no indication that the cake shop itself supports gay marriage any more than if they make a cake for a man on the occasion of that man's wife's birthday, there is no suggestion that the cake shop is in love with that man's wife.

Would they force someone of "another religion" to make a peppa pig cake?

OK who had muggins here for first mention of Muslims?

They said that they wouldn't bake a cake endorsing something that contradicts the bible though. If that is there justification they must live their entire lives like that.

You shouldn't be able to discriminate because you're religious.

They could have refused for plenty of reasons but they made it clear it was the gay message

This. They could have just have got on with their lives and made up another reason. Both sides seem to be trying to make a point.
Evangelical Christians getting a mild kicking works for me. Keep you religious crap to yourself.

Was reading about the ruling earlier on. The gay bloke looks like a smug **** who knew what he was doing.
I do not see the problem. The family who run the bakery have been shit on.
In short, being gay over rules someone else's religious beliefs which have been ignored.

This. They could have just have got on with their lives and made up another reason. Both sides seem to be trying to make a point.
Evangelical Christians getting a mild kicking works for me. Keep you religious crap to yourself.

Indeed. Some workers from the bakery (it's a chain iirc) did offer to make the cake themselves. It could have been avoided in any number of ways. I think that the whole matter is a bit petty but that said, the times they are a changin' and religious groups just have to accept the fact.

My main problem with it is that is can open the door to lead to all sorts of shenanigans.
Your ex runs a printing business. Should he/she be forced to accept your order for your blissful wedding invitations with your new partner?
Can I now go into a bakery owned and run by a gay couple and order a cake with some choice biblical verses in icing concerning homosexuality? After all - this is a book that I can buy in any bookstore and not illegal.
Can any artist all turn down any commission now if they're offended by it?

Like I say, it strikes me of being shenanigans.

Was reading about the ruling earlier on. The gay bloke looks like a smug **** who knew what he was doing.
In short, being gay over rules someone else's religious beliefs which have been ignored.

To what extent should religious freedom extend to their ability to stop other people exercising their own freedom?

Likewise the bakery knew that by refusing on grounds of the message of the cake, they were refusing on sexuality. They ignore what they were doing.

It isn't against their religious beliefs to make that cake. It absolutely isn't. Nowhere - and I mean f***ing nowhere - does the bible say: "thou shalt not bake a cake for thy neighbour who loveth the appendages of his fellow man".

The cake just said "we support gay marriage." The slogan isn't offensive, and the rights of religious people not to get married to someone of the same gender were not infringed. There was no indication that the cake shop itself supports gay marriage any more than if they make a cake for a man on the occasion of that man's wife's birthday, there is no suggestion that the cake shop is in love with that man's wife.

OK who had muggins here for first mention of Muslims?
I didn't mention them and I was actually second after you.you plum.
Well dodged btw.
Edit - my autocorrect came up with "fudge" instead of "dodge" :oops::lol:

Alright then, they refuse to bake a cake that has a slogan on supporting equal rights for black people or whatever else

Society wouldn't accept that discrimination. But for gays? Nah no problem. They've got a book of f***ing fairytales to support them.

In the first Harry Potter book the bloke with the turban is the baddy

That's my justification for refusing to serve Sikhs

Let's see how long I get away with that for!
Sim salla bim!

Likewise the bakery knew that by refusing on grounds of the message of the cake, they were refusing on sexuality. They ignore what they were doing.

It isn't against their religious beliefs to make that cake. It absolutely isn't. Nowhere - and I mean f***ing nowhere - does the bible say: "thou shalt not bake a cake for thy neighbour who loveth the appendages of his fellow man".
To what extent should religious freedom extend to their ability to stop other people exercising their own freedom?

The gay bloke has made something out of nothing. He could have went somewhere else, staff said they would do it themselves. But no, another gay fighting injustice where there is none. Pathetic.
Gays, members of society who want to be treat as equals.
Yet they still have marches and parades to say how proud they are.

The gay bloke has made something out of nothing. He could have went somewhere else, staff said they would do it themselves. But no, another gay fighting injustice where there is none. Pathetic.

They want to have their cake and est it mate.

£35 cake order has cost us hard pressed tax payers £80k so far. Same sex marriage isn't allowed in N Ireland , so I think the whole thing has been blown up out of all proportion. If the bakery had been owned by a couple of animal rights activists, and someone wandered in asking for a cake with "we support fox hunting" on it, would the same lawyers wank fest have occurred. The law is trying to say that the cake shop shouldn't force their will on the gay couple. Surely by taking the legal action they have, the gay couple are trying to force their will on the bakers. Bit of common sense, and tolerance on both sides, would appear to be the answer.

There is an injustice in the eyes of that NI judge mind.

So unless you've got a law degree and a fancy wig I think his decision trumps yours.

£35 cake order has cost us hard pressed tax payers £80k so far. Same sex marriage isn't allowed in N Ireland , so I think the whole thing has been blown up out of all proportion. If the bakery had been owned by a couple of animal rights activists, and someone wandered in asking for a cake with "we support fox hunting" on it, would the same lawyers wank fest have occurred. The law is trying to say that the cake shop shouldn't force their will on the gay couple. Surely by taking the legal action they have, the gay couple are trying to force their will on the bakers. Bit of common sense, and tolerance on both sides, would appear to be the answer.
Sadly lacking in Northern Ireland.

If a black person refused to serve me in any shop because I was white, id be pretty pissed off though.
Skinhead goes into a chippie and says "Cod and Chips twice and hurry the fuck up"
Shopkeeper says "I beg your pardon ?"
Skinhead repeats himself "Are you f***ing deaf? I said Cod and chips twice and hurry the fuck up"
Shopkeeper says "That's not how you order food in a shop, young man. You come around this side of the counter and I'll come to your side and show you how to do it" They swap places and the shopkeeper says "Good evening sir. Please may I have cod and chips twice"
Skinhead says "Get fucked, you wouldn't serve me !"

There are still people alive who were prosecuted for having gay sex. I'm sure we can all tolerate marches and parades celebrating the fact that a group of people can now publically be who they are, with the same rights as everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back