Child benefit limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have you had a school dinner lately? They're absolutely rank and my child refuses to eat them. I'd rather have the child benefit to buy good quality nutritious food for her packed lunch.

Child benefit is one of two things I claim. The other being child tax credits. I would miss it if they took it away.

How many offspring do you have?

They need to be kept in their place. I want my kids to have unhindered access to the best education and best jobs, the poor can scrub my floors.

Your sort make me sick, you're stuck in a Victorian time warp.

Apart from the first 3 of course. And then there is actually nothing to stop anybody breeding. In fact all the other kids will still be given free healthcare and education.
I wouldn't expect you to appreciate the underlying message that's being sent out by the Tories with this suggestion. Conservatives, like yourself, don't do subtlety.

Have you had a school dinner lately? They're absolutely rank and my child refuses to eat them. I'd rather have the child benefit to buy good quality nutritious food for her packed lunch.

Child benefit is one of two things I claim. The other being child tax credits. I would miss it if they took it away.
I like the fact that you think I can still remember my last school dinner!
You wont lose anything - the proposal is for kids not yet born. And the limit being discussed is three - I thought you had three?

I wouldn't expect you to appreciate the underlying message that's being sent out by the Tories with this suggestion. Conservatives, like yourself, don't do subtlety.

The thing is, if they really wanted to do this and save some money, they could just reduce/stop child tax credits after three kids for all 4th+ kids born from now. Hardly anyone would notice as the amounts are variable. If they do it with child benefit, it'll cause more uproar and save less money.

It's not really an underlying message is it:

"It would save an estimated £300m a year - but Tory MP Dominic Raab said it was not purely about cost but could "send a message about personal responsibility"."

Do you believe in personal responsibility?

How many offspring do you have?

Your sort make me sick, you're stuck in a Victorian time warp.
He knows all of the problems and none of the solutions.

Two child limit. After that pay for the third yourself hardly a unfair policy is it?

I've got three but was commenting on people who said two or none at all.

I work full time despite having a chronic long term health condition, and I'm managing to bring up three decent bairns who plan on working and making something of themselves. Just get frustrated that these kind of comments seem to target people who are working rather than those who choose not to.

They're talking about anything after 3, not 2.

£13 doesn't pay for a child though, so you're paying for it anyway obviously.

Should be 2 imo, and clearly once you tot up free education, meals housing benefit etc etc its a dam site more than £13 a week

Should be 2 imo, and clearly once you tot up free education, meals housing benefit etc etc its a dam site more than £13 a week

Education isn't the best though clearly, maybe it's cheap?

Most families don't claim Housing Benefit you know?

If memory serves it was tapered when I was a lad. Known as Family Allowance back then, the first child earned you 8 shillings, second child 4 shillings, nowt for any subsequent children.

If memory serves it was tapered when I was a lad. Known as Family Allowance back then, the first child earned you 8 shillings, second child 4 shillings, nowt for any subsequent children.

Your memory is playing tricks on you, that's pretty much how it is now, back in your day, you got nowt for the first, then more for subsequent.

The system was first implemented in August 1946 as "family allowances" under the Family Allowances Act 1945, at a rate of 5s(= £0.25) per week per child in a family, except for the eldest. This was raised from September 1952, by the Family Allowances and National Insurance Act 1952, to 8s (= £0.40), and from October 1956, by the Family Allowances Act and National Insurance Act 1956, to 8s for the second child with 10s (= £0.50) for the third and subsequent children. By 1955, some 5,000,000 allowances were being paid, to about 3,250,000 families

It's funny how things have changed, years ago, nowt for one, rewarded for more, now people would like to see the opposite happen it seems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back