Bring back 2 pts for a win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've always believed the arguments in its favour were false. That it would encourage and reward attacking play was and is simply untrue. The idea that it encouraged clubs to go for a win was nonsense. If a team who were coming for a point grabs an early goal they will shut up shop more thoroughly than ever. As a supporter, when you've witnessed a thrilling draw the feeling is of disappointment that you've dropped two points instead of gaining one. You get three points for a scraped, undeserved 1-0 win and one for a battling draw.
I remember when Jimmy Hill first proposed the three points for a win idea, Danny Blanchflower wrote "when is half a loaf not half a loaf? when you get 1/3 of the points for a draw that you get for a win." I agreed with him then and I agree with the long departed wise man now.
three points for a win transformed world football man. its why every league worldwide adopted it in decades. I remember watching italian football before and after the rule change and the attitude of the teams was like night and day.

It has been the most important rule change in our lives and football probably wouldn't be where it is today without it.

three points for a win transformed world football man. its why every league worldwide adopted it in decades. I remember watching italian football before and after the rule change and the attitude of the teams was like night and day.

It has been the most important rule change in our lives and football probably wouldn't be where it is today without it.

Offside surely?

Quite a few other sports have moved to a system where you get bonus points for more runs or tries scored etc.

In rugby union you get a winning bonus point if you score four or more tries, and a losing bonus point if you lost by less than seven points.

It means teams play to the end and always look for the extra points.

You could have a winning bonus point for scoring four goals, and a losing bonus point for scoring two.

Of course traditionalists will scream, but it would make thr game better.

Revised league table with 2 points for a win! We need to bring this back!

Position under 2 PTS
1 Chelsea 61
2 Manchester City 55
3 Arsenal 53
4 Manchester United 50
5 Tottenham Hotspur 45
6 Liverpool 44
7 Southampton 42
8 Swansea City 40
9 Stoke City 39
10 Everton 35
11 West Ham United 35
12 Crystal Palace 35
13 West Bromwich Albion 33
14 Sunderland 31
15 Leicester City 30
16 Newcastle United 29
17 Aston Villa 28
18 Hull City 27
19 Burnley 26
20 Queens Park Rangers 22

You need to get out more ;)

I would do completely the opposite.

5 or even 10 points for a win.

Teams setting out to grind a 0-0 with a hope of maybe nicking a goal from a set piece is destroying the entertainment value of the game.

It's been so much better to watch in thr last few games when sides have had to go for the win.
Nowt wrong with a hard earned draw imo.

Revised league table with 2 points for a win! We need to bring this back!

Position under 2 PTS
1 Chelsea 61
2 Manchester City 55
3 Arsenal 53
4 Manchester United 50
5 Tottenham Hotspur 45
6 Liverpool 44
7 Southampton 42
8 Swansea City 40
9 Stoke City 39
10 Everton 35
11 West Ham United 35
12 Crystal Palace 35
13 West Bromwich Albion 33
14 Sunderland 31
15 Leicester City 30
16 Newcastle United 29
17 Aston Villa 28
18 Hull City 27
19 Burnley 26
20 Queens Park Rangers 22
Would much rather we got a 20 point start for having the best supporters on planet earth.

Jimmy Hill also proposed (iirc) 3 for a win, 5 for a win by 3 goals or more. Now that would screw up Joses approach to the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back