Boss expecting you to stay back every night to clear work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over 17 weeks iirc. That's actually quite difficult if you include holidays.
That's an important point. A lot of people I work with, me included, have opted out of the WTD without really needing to. It's not a great system for fluctuating workloads and if you're doing a lot of hours to deliver something over 6 months then most of us accept that it's part of the job. I have a colleague who is 174 hours in credit on his flexi time, it's his choice (he'll lose most of that) and there is a real culture of 'at least I've got a job' going on nowadays, comparable to the 80s. When you still have this inculcated idea that unions are always bad and just looking for trouble I wonder how much people are just going to keep taking being made a lend of.

No-one seems to have the gumption to stand up and say they'll work but no further than they were originally asked. My last boss actually said to me 'everybody should be doing more than their job otherwise they aren't doing their job'. I knew what he meant but it's a sad world when that sort of shoite is being brought out every day.

Being born in the 60s I'm still waiting for my robot butler and neverending leisuretime.

You'd want an unskilled work force? I should imagine that would go well.

Not at all, the greatest asset that any company possesses are its people and any company that does not recognise that basic fact deserves to fail!

I, therefore, always tried to ensure that we found the best available and would then invest in them in an attempt to develop their true potential.

That meant paying them generously (normally above what they would expect) - attempting to get someone "on the cheap" is self defeating - "golden handcuffs" are far better and invariably produce better performances).

Once on board they were then then encouraged to improve their experience/abilities in any way possible, including utilising professionally run courses.

That was in the best interests of my companies as well as (I think) those of the employees.

I would not, though, have expected any to believe they should be paid to attend any form of event/course that was either necessary for doing their job nor any that would provide them with the mental tools to do it better.

When I was employed I didn't think that I should expect that so, therefore, did not believe that they should either and is worth pointing out (I think) that it was never suggested by anyone that they should be.

Obviously, I ensured that all expenses were covered (travelling, accommodation, food etc), as well as paying for all costs associated with providing the course itself, but paying them for the time involved - never!

It would have been an anathema to my basic beliefs.

Not at all, the greatest asset that any company possesses are its people and any company that does not recognise that basic fact deserves to fail!

I, therefore, always tried to ensure that we found the best available and would then invest in them in an attempt to develop their true potential.

That meant paying them generously (normally above what they would expect) - attempting to get someone "on the cheap" is self defeating - "golden handcuffs" are far better and invariably produce better performances).

Once on board they were then then encouraged to improve their experience/abilities in any way possible, including utilising professionally run courses.

That was in the best interests of my companies as well as (I think) those of the employees.

I would not, though, have expected any to believe they should be paid to attend any form of event/course that was either necessary for doing their job nor any that would provide them with the mental tools to do it better.

When I was employed I didn't think that I should expect that so, therefore, did not believe that they should either and is worth pointing out (I think) that it was never suggested by anyone that they should be.

Obviously, I ensured that all expenses were covered (travelling, accommodation, food etc), as well as paying for all costs associated with providing the course itself, but paying them for the time involved - never!

It would have been an anathema to my basic beliefs.
How is to the members future detriment then?

I'm sorry but you are now getting silly, I've answered that in full already - if you can't be bothered to read and digest what I posted then please don't expect any further responses.
No you haven't. The lads will still get their training at the contracted levels.

No you haven't. The lads will still get their training at the contracted levels.

I can't comment on Typhoonftm's industry/company - all I can do is to make my beliefs/former method of operation crystal clear, which I believe I have, already, done.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...ght-to-clear-work.986807/page-7#post-18970423

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...ght-to-clear-work.986807/page-7#post-18971151

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...ght-to-clear-work.986807/page-8#post-18971861

If you, really, can't understand what I have written then I think that is your problem, not mine!

Last edited:
I can't comment on Typhoonftm's industry/company - all I can do is to make my beliefs/former method of operation crystal clear, which I believe I have, already, done.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...ght-to-clear-work.986807/page-7#post-18970423

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...ght-to-clear-work.986807/page-7#post-18971151

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...ght-to-clear-work.986807/page-8#post-18971861

Read, digest and learn!

You did comment tho just it was utter shit. :lol:

You did comment tho just it was utter shit. :lol:

Should I take that post as being from one who has run his own £ multi million companies and employed/managed highly paid people, so is in a position to make an objective comment?

Nope, I think I'll pass on your opinion if you don't mind!

;)

It would, though, be very interesting to learn why you think your observation may have been valid!

Holes & digging come to mind though!

Last edited:
Should I take that comment as being from one who has run his own £ multi million companies and employed/managed highly paid people.

;)
Its not an opinion ye daft twat. You said it on a previous page. :lol:

Do you normally have problems following discussions?

Should I take that post as being from one who has run his own £ multi million companies and employed/managed highly paid people, so is in a position to make an objective comment?

;)
How, man, thicky poor people like Mackem00 are allowed opinions.

Tell him 50% of children under 10 die from walking to school. It's a reet laugh.

Nope, but given your questions, it appears that you do.

:cry:

How, man, thicky poor people like Mackem00 are allowed opinions.

Of course they are, I even tried to humour him but then had to give up!

I've no idea what he/she does for a living but (on the evidence of his posts on this thread) doubt if it something that involves genuine managerial responsibilities, in an environment that demands free thinking.

:neutral:

My best guess, though, is that (if he is employed in any capacity) he works in an industry that demands minimal skills, pays relative peanuts and he still blames Maggie Thatcher for everything that is wrong with his life.

Last edited:
Nope, but given your questions, it appears that you do.

:cry:

Of course they are, I even tried to humour him but then had to give up!

I've no idea what he/she does for a living but (on the evidence of his posts on this thread) doubt if it something that involves genuine managerial responsibilities, in an environment that demands free thinking.

:neutral:

My best guess, though, is that (if he is employed in any capacity) he works in an industry that demands minimal skills, pays relative peanuts and he still blames Maggie Thatcher for everything that is wrong with his life.
The mind boggles at how shite your original post must have been if that's the edited version. :lol:

The mind boggles at how shite your original post must have been if that's the edited version. :lol:

Smileys do not display intelligence and understanding - indeed, they will often convey the opposite.

If you were to try arguing your case, with examples and your experience, it may then have more credence than it currently does.

I posted the following earlier:

"My best guess, though, is that (if he is employed in any capacity) he works in an industry that demands minimal skills, pays relative peanuts and he still blames Maggie Thatcher for everything that is wrong with his life."

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...ght-to-clear-work.986807/page-8#post-18972311

Was I that far off of the mark?

I doubt if I was but would be very happy for you to show me that I was wrong!

Get a public sector job! leave bang on the dot or before if you can nip off everyday or stay an extra 10 mins get paid 4 hours overtime. It's the bollox so it is
Such jobs no longer exists but then again you private sector workers know that.

Nice try though. ;)

Monday - Friday 8-5. Anything before 8 or after 5 is time and a half. Weekends :lol: :lol:

Smileys do not display intelligence and understanding - indeed, they will often convey the opposite.

If you were to try arguing your case, with examples and your experience, it may then have more credence than it currently does.

I posted the following earlier:

"My best guess, though, is that (if he is employed in any capacity) he works in an industry that demands minimal skills, pays relative peanuts and he still blames Maggie Thatcher for everything that is wrong with his life."

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...ght-to-clear-work.986807/page-8#post-18972311

Was I that far off of the mark?

I doubt if I was but would be very happy for you to show me that I was wrong!
You made a statement which was bollocks. I highlighted how it was bollocks.

You carry on imagining what my life is like tho cos that is perfectly normal and fine. ;)

You made a statement which was bollocks. I highlighted how it was bollocks.

You carry on imagining what my life is like tho cos that is perfectly normal and fine. ;)

You did nothing of the sort, all you did was to display your own lack of knowledge and understanding, regarding the subject of the thread.

You even bring to mind the normal retort, from Mainwaring to Pike.

Last edited:
wouldnt come in to work in another department, id come in and work my own department on overtime though, as long a i dont have plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back