Boss expecting you to stay back every night to clear work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
work late most nights often til 10 or 11, was up at 830 this morning doing more..... some stuff to do tomorrow n'all:neutral:......... but then im the boss so ive no one to blame but myself:confused::lol:

I'm surprised at how many people actually have the choice of not doing overtime. I worked 16 hrs overtime one week and went in on my day off but informed them i could only work until 12 (1 hr early) when i returned to work i received a written warning for walking off site.
Work at Nissan by any chance

I'm surprised at how many people actually have the choice of not doing overtime. I worked 16 hrs overtime one week and went in on my day off but informed them i could only work until 12 (1 hr early) when i returned to work i received a written warning for walking off site.

I'm surprised at how many people actually have the choice of not doing overtime.
Well I can't imagine theres many contracts out there where O/T is compulsary.

Our place has recently tried to get people to accept a normal wage for courses, not overtime. They've been told to f***ing whistle.

Not anymore but I've actually managed to find somewhere even worse.

Well I can't imagine theres many contracts out there where O/T is compulsary.

Our place has recently tried to get people to accept a normal wage for courses, not overtime. They've been told to f***ing whistle.

Good on you and your fellow workers. We've had a few changes to our contracts 1 or 2 of us speak up but the majority just bend over and take it. Would be nice for everyone to stick together but it'll never happen where i work.

Last edited:
Union backed/canvassed decision?
Its in our contracts that any time on courses will be overtime rate. They said they hoped we would take standard rate as its personal development :lol: Dunno why they even try this shit as the Norwegian unions stand for no shit whatsoever.

Its in our contracts that any time on courses will be overtime rate. They said they hoped we would take standard rate as its personal development :lol: Dunno why they even try this shit as the Norwegian unions stand for no shit whatsoever.

Clearly to their members' future detriment, they must be very proud of themselves!

Nobody can be 'forced' to do overtime. If you don't want to do it, just fuck off home when you have worked your hours. A lot of the time, people who say they have to do all this 'overtime' do it because they love working and never ever switch off, it is their life.

Me, I fuck off between 4 and 6 and never think of work until im next in. Have some sad bastards at our place who will answer emails on holiday etc.. I can't understand why anyone would do that.

https://www.gov.uk/overtime-your-rights/compulsory-overtime

There you go, even if you sign up for it at the start you still can't be forced to work more than 48 hours in a week, unless of course you want to....

Nobody can be 'forced' to do overtime. If you don't want to do it, just fuck off home when you have worked your hours. A lot of the time, people who say they have to do all this 'overtime' do it because they love working and never ever switch off, it is their life.

Me, I fuck off between 4 and 6 and never think of work until im next in. Have some sad bastards at our place who will answer emails on holiday etc.. I can't understand why anyone would do that.

https://www.gov.uk/overtime-your-rights/compulsory-overtime

There you go, even if you sign up for it at the start you still can't be forced to work more than 48 hours in a week, unless of course you want to....

48 hrs a week average over a period of months.

:confused: How exactly?

The more knowledge/experience/qualifications that any employee has the greater their desirability is to a future/alternative employer, which would also (normally) mean a higher salary.

In this case, though, it appears that the union wishes to prevent them bettering themselves by demanding unrealistic payments for attending the courses that would allow that improvement!

Many of the courses I've attended over the years embraced weekends and I received not one penny extra for the time involved.

Would I change a thing, with the benefit of hindsight?

Nope! They proved invaluable to me and provided the platform for me to successfully run my own businesses from the age of 30.

Last edited:
The more knowledge/experience/qualifications that any employee has the greater their desirability is to a future/alternative employer, which would also (normally) mean a higher salary.

In this case, though, it appears that the union wishes to prevent them bettering themselves by demanding unrealistic payments for attending the courses that would allow that improvement!

I can see where you're coming from, but they're not demanding 'unrealistic' payments, its contracted. I can't speak for outside the Oil industry, but the agreements (as far as i'm told) are industry wide in Norway, so people don't really move between companies that often. There's plenty of lads on my rig who have been there since it was built in 89, and have no desire to leave.

Some of the things that Industri Energi (the union) have negotiated in the past:

• 2 weeks on, 4 off.
  • After 14 days, paid full rate when off shift & double when on shift.
  • 2 years full pay sick leave, 3/4 for the 3rd year, 1/2 for the 4th. If unable to return after that, they negotiate a more suitable role or a redundancy package.
  • 24 hrs extra pay if they want you to change a shift pattern without informing you before you travel to work.
  • Annual raise above inflation.
  • All healthcare provided privately for employee and spouse.
  • 13% paid into your pension if you contribute 2%.
  • To my knowledge they NEVER strike.
It might be the most expensive country to live in in Europe, but they don't half look after their employees.

Would you want to leave? I'm only 37 and can't see me ever leaving Norway now. Nowhere comes close in our industry imo.

I can see where you're coming from, but they're not demanding 'unrealistic' payments, its contracted. I can't speak for outside the Oil industry, but the agreements (as far as i'm told) are industry wide in Norway, so people don't really move between companies that often. There's plenty of lads on my rig who have been there since it was built in 89, and have no desire to leave.

Some of the things that Industri Energi (the union) have negotiated in the past:

• 2 weeks on, 4 off.
  • After 14 days, paid full rate when off shift & double when on shift.
  • 2 years full pay sick leave, 3/4 for the 3rd year, 1/2 for the 4th. If unable to return after that, they negotiate a more suitable role or a redundancy package.
  • 24 hrs extra pay if they want you to change a shift pattern without informing you before you travel to work.
  • Annual raise above inflation.
  • All healthcare provided privately for employee and spouse.
  • 13% paid into your pension if you contribute 2%.
  • To my knowledge they NEVER strike.
It might be the most expensive country to live in in Europe, but they don't half look after their employees.

Would you want to leave? I'm only 37 and can't see me ever leaving Norway now. Nowhere comes close in our industry imo.

Thanks for that, it's very informative.

I never worked in heavy industry which, maybe, is why I view things in a different light about collective agreements that don't reward individual effort/talent and always preferred to negotiate my own salary which was then supplemented by bonuses/commissions that rewarded actual results personally achieved, rather than having my income pegged at the same level as everyone else that was, ostensibly, doing the same job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back