50 years ago tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunderland 2 Charlton 1

Confirmed Sunderlands first (and we hoped last) promotion to the top league.

I was there with my dear Dad at the front of the Roker End. Of all the matches I have been to this is the one that sticks in my mind most - it was my second game , having been to the Rotherham match a few weeks earlier.

Remember the lap of honour and Nick Sharkey being kicked by a fan for some reason.

Charlie Hurley being shouldered around the pitch - the team must have been strong as he was a big lad.

Happy days.

If the truth is miserable then that's it. I'm no miserable old fart, but you tend to hang around like a bad smell. If that was all I had to say to someone, I have the good grace and good man

ners to say nothing at all.

One of us has the wrong year, I never saw Revie play for Sunderland. Alan Brown had called the entire squad in before the Ipswich game and gave debuts to Cec Irwin, Len Ashurst and Jimmy McNab.
How many years did we survive after that season before we suffered another relegation? Did we sign Jim Baxter during that period?
Yes we signed Baxter in 1966. While he was here, we managed ok, if not brilliantly. He was sold to Forest after literally beating them on his own the previous Saturday. We went down again in 1969-1970 season, we were pretty poor by then. It must have been six years in the old First Division that time.

If the truth is miserable then that's it. I'm no miserable old fart, but you tend to hang around like a bad smell. If that was all I had to say to someone, I have the good grace and good man

ners to say nothing at all

I never saw Revie play for Sunderland. Alan Brown had called the entire squad in before the Ipswich game and gave debuts to Cec Irwin, Len Ashurst and Jimmy McNab. UNLESS the fact that Brown didn't announce the team until just before kick off and giving those debuts at the last minute, Sorry, that's what happened, thanks great to see that again. I checked and the team I put was the one that actually played.

You are probably right - however this is the programme from the game. My Dad played a few games around that time and the teams in the programme were not always correct.
View Raw Image'>
Logon or register to see this image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back