50 years ago tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

My best day at Roker Park, even better than 73 for me. Happy days, things have changed a bit since then mind, not all for the better.
Happy Easter!

My best day at Roker Park, even better than 73 for me. Happy days, things have changed a bit since then mind, not all for the better.
Happy Easter!

Happy Easter..remember Sharky's hat trick against Benfica - Eusabio scored a couple that great night. Glad that was my first season. it was something special

Happy Easter..remember Sharky's hat trick against Benfica - Eusabio scored a couple that great night. Glad that was my first season. it was something special
and O'Hares first Sunderland goal, went on to great things with Mr. Clough!

and O'Hares first Sunderland goal, went on to great things with Mr. Clough!

Very true. just a young lad that night. Of course McColl's policies probably meant John, like Sharkey, was destined for the door regardless.

My God we have seen some shit through the years, and a lot of it wasnt on the pitch…

Superb.

I can't even begin to imagine what the experienced fans must have thought that day. 'This is it!'

If only they were right. I hope I get to see us as good as what those blokes will have in my lifetime. Sadly, its unlikely.

Superb.

I can't even begin to imagine what the experienced fans must have thought that day. 'This is it!'

If only they were right. I hope I get to see us as good as what those blokes will have in my lifetime. Sadly, its unlikely.

As a little lad, surounded by my dad and uncles plus all the old buggers (I was 7) around us this was simply the restoration of our place. Those supporters back then had seen us win titles and had seen us be the Bank of England club, buying the best.

This celebration, I now understand, was a relief of shrugging off the second division stuff..simply the future was going to be golden. Now, even if we go up yet again next year, we won't think that any more..so those laps of honour that day..we truly expected to win the league or be in the running.. the next season. It was magic cos there was no limit. Then we fucked it up.

Was there for all of the above. Another memory for me was at the end of the summer following the promotion season, youth hostels, Lake District, six of us lads from the Monkey House, not a care in the world, all been to all the home games together in the Fulwell End for that great season, now on our hiking holiday. Idyllic. Until we went into a newsagent in Ambleside and picked up a newspaper. Montgomery injured, will not start the new season in the 1st Division. Collectively distraught. Another example of something always happen, Gus, it was even happening back then.

Loving the thread - well done all and keep the memories coming. That's what supporting a team is all about.

Different times of course but we all are nostalgic whatever age we are and I love the fact that promotion meant expectation of a successful launch at winning the top league the year after.

Fantastic day, was in the Roker end for the game, and outside the main stand after. Hard to believe it is 50 years, man for man my favourite ever team.

a
Anyone remember Johnny Bolland's ???
I do. My first game was against Ipswich at Roker on 20th September 1958, the score was 2-0 to them, the team was Bollands, Irwin (debut), Ashurst (debut), Anderson, Hurley, McNab (debut), Bircham, Pearce, Kitchenbrand, O'Neill and Grainger. that's off the top of my head, so it's open to correction.

We were in a mess then as well.

As a little lad, surounded by my dad and uncles plus all the old buggers (I was 7) around us this was simply the restoration of our place. Those supporters back then had seen us win titles and had seen us be the Bank of England club, buying the best.

This celebration, I now understand, was a relief of shrugging off the second division stuff..simply the future was going to be golden. Now, even if we go up yet again next year, we won't think that any more..so those laps of honour that day..we truly expected to win the league or be in the running.. the next season. It was magic cos there was no limit. Then we fucked it up.

We've been bouncing from fuck up to fuck up ever since, apart from a few fleeting moments where we look to have cracked it.

Was there for all of the above. Another memory for me was at the end of the summer following the promotion season, youth hostels, Lake District, six of us lads from the Monkey House, not a care in the world, all been to all the home games together in the Fulwell End for that great season, now on our hiking holiday. Idyllic. Until we went into a newsagent in Ambleside and picked up a newspaper. Montgomery injured, will not start the new season in the 1st Division. Collectively distraught. Another example of something always happen, Gus, it was even happening back then.
Derek Foster debut in goal...15 yr old.First game of season against Leicester City I think....score 3-3???

Derek Foster debut in goal...15 yr old.First game of season against Leicester City I think....score 3-3???
And no manager to boot, 3-3 and, I'm afraid Forster wasn't really up to it. I think he played three games, but it was a long time ago. Then of course, we got a decent man in George Hardwick. I did hear rumours about a director's wife, how true it was I don't know. Then Ian McColl we struggled on, then along came Brown to take us down for the second time. Still it was mostly his team that won the FA Cup. If we hadn't done that we'd have accomplished nothing in my time.

Yep. George Mulhall scored a blinder with only three minutes gone

And no manager to boot, 3-3 and, I'm afraid Forster wasn't really up to it. I think he played three games, but it was a long time ago. Then of course, we got a decent man in George Hardwick. I did hear rumours about a director's wife, how true it was I don't know. Then Ian McColl we struggled on, then along came Brown to take us down for the second time. Still it was mostly his team that won the FA Cup. If we hadn't done that we'd have accomplished nothing in my time.

Bit more than three games. Think he played at least half a dozen before Sandy McLoughlin was brought in. The board of directors were picking the team. What a way to start a new season. Just as well this board and the internet wasn't around in those days. Talk about a meltdown. Shows we have been f***ing it up for a long time

You're a right miserable old fart

a
I do. My first game was against Ipswich at Roker on 20th September 1958, the score was 2-0 to them, the team was Bollands, Irwin (debut), Ashurst (debut), Anderson, Hurley, McNab (debut), Bircham, Pearce, Kitchenbrand, O'Neill and Grainger. that's off the top of my head, so it's open to correction.

We were in a mess then as well.

This is the programme from the game.

View Raw Image'>
Logon or register to see this image

Autographs from Bristol City game on 14th March 59.

View Raw Image'>

Anybody remember this ?

View Raw Image'>

You're a right miserable old fart
If the truth is miserable then that's it. I'm no miserable old fart, but you tend to hang around like a bad smell. If that was all I had to say to someone, I have the good grace and good man
This is the programme from the game.

View Raw Image'>
Logon or register to see this image

Autographs from Bristol City game on 14th March 59.

View Raw Image'>

Anybody remember this ?

View Raw Image'>

ners to say nothing at all

I never saw Revie play for Sunderland. Alan Brown had called the entire squad in before the Ipswich game and gave debuts to Cec Irwin, Len Ashurst and Jimmy McNab. UNLESS the fact that Brown didn't announce the team until just before kick off and giving those debuts at the last minute, Sorry, that's what happened, thanks great to see that again. I checked and the team I put was the one that actually played.

Last edited:
How many years did we survive after that season before we suffered another relegation? Did we sign Jim Baxter during that period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back