50 years ago tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunderland 2 Charlton 1

Confirmed Sunderlands first (and we hoped last) promotion to the top league.

I was there with my dear Dad at the front of the Roker End. Of all the matches I have been to this is the one that sticks in my mind most - it was my second game , having been to the Rotherham match a few weeks earlier.

Remember the lap of honour and Nick Sharkey being kicked by a fan for some reason.

Charlie Hurley being shouldered around the pitch - the team must have been strong as he was a big lad.

Happy days.

I was also at the Swansea game where their keeper kicked Usher's cross into his own goal for a 1-0 win.

We had such a strong team then, despite losing Clough, and we all hoped we would do a 'Liverpool' and really kick on.
Then the manager Alan Brown left during the summer.
Six years of struggle followed by another relegation.
That set the pattern and we are still doing the same thing.

Up there with the best days ever

Might be fifty years but I can still see Johnny Crossan cracking in that last minute winner from the edge of the box past Peter Wakeham, who had played a blinder

All the old blokes that afternoon were sure that would be our first and last promotion. Most of them be dead now. If only we'd known that day

Those two laps of honour we're amazing

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Sunderland 2 Charlton 1

Confirmed Sunderlands first (and we hoped last) promotion to the top league.

I was there with my dear Dad at the front of the Roker End. Of all the matches I have been to this is the one that sticks in my mind most - it was my second game , having been to the Rotherham match a few weeks earlier.

Remember the lap of honour and Nick Sharkey being kicked by a fan for some reason.

Charlie Hurley being shouldered around the pitch - the team must have been strong as he was a big lad.

Happy days.

Pfft. Glory supporter.

Peter Wakeham? You mean Monty, he's in the photo between Ashurst and Mulhall.
Peter Wakeham was Charlton's keeper by then. He had a great game that day, we used o call him Shakey Wakey when he played at Sunderland. I was at the Charlton Game with my future wife.

On a bit of a downer. I still remember my first relegation. Lost 0-1 to the bin dippers. I was in the Roker with my fatha and one of his mates. Cried my f***ing heart out on the way home in the car.

On a bit of a downer. I still remember my first relegation. Lost 0-1 to the bin dippers. I was in the Roker with my fatha and one of his mates. Cried my f***ing heart out on the way home in the car.
Remember that night well. There was a trail of devastation from Roker Park to the town.

Whoa. I started this thread off to be an oasis of positivity in the middle of a desert of gloom. Can doom mongers please visit other negative threads. There are plenty of them to choose from. Thank you.

We had such a strong team then, despite losing Clough, and we all hoped we would do a 'Liverpool' and really kick on.
Then the manager Alan Brown left during the summer.
Six years of struggle followed by another relegation.
That set the pattern and we are still doing the same thing.

That team that was relegates, take that was down to a "rotten core" too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back