1970 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great WC. I remember Muller breaking our hearts and Banks' save from Pele and Brazil just stroking the ball about and David Coleman (was it? I remember Wolstenholme was still doing it, too?) shouting 'Jairzinho!'

Last edited:

I was 11 at the time of the 1970 World Cup and it remains my favourite tournament. We used to recreate the group matches in the school play-yard each day with jumpers for goal-posts and a leather casey. I was always in goal and used to pretend that I was the great Gordon Banks. Happy days!

Pele outrageously dummying the goalie, Moore tackling Pele, Banks saving from Pele's perfect header. Jarzinho blasting the ball into the net. Still liked 1966 more.

Played at a relatively slow pace....meant the players could relax and you could appreciate the moves without the need for replays.

The sight of Bobby Charlton confidently strolling with the ball at his feet, looking around for the best pass! Terry Cooper - one of the best full-backs ever!

After Macdonald (yeah I know) had scored five against Cyprus (yeah I know) he left him on the bench in a drab, boring 0-0 draw against Portugal, when Portugal were crap. Strange man.[/QUOTE]

Revie...... Shirley?

Sticker album-could have sent off for remaining stickers to complete collection and didn't.Too late now.

Got all England though.

Crying when Brazil beat us,thought we were out.

:lol:

You mean it was "obviously the first world cup to be shown in nearly everyone's house in colour."

The 1958 and 1962 world cups were both miles better. But a load of clueless kids like yourself couldn't sit at home watching every game and carrying on like experts for those ones, so you have to re write history to suit yourself. Typical modern day fan.
This. A million times this.

What I loved in the early World Cups was that we saw players never heard of who were like magicians, nowadays we even know what the Japanese goalie has for is tea.

In the days before multiple channels there was no concept of playing games at different times, hence the two Semis were on together, I watched Brazil 3 v 1 Uruguay and then turned over to see Schnellinger score a late equalizer v Italy.

The extra time then unfolded in spectacular fashion ending 4 v 3 to the Italians.

pele's dummy on the keeper, the best goal never scored whilst carlos alberto's piledriver against Italy, THE best ever goal, ever.

My memories are watching the highlights before going to school as the afternoon games were too late, I was 10. Some weekend games kicked off lunchtime so were early evening UK times.

First time I'd ever seen players bend a ball and take free kicks like Pele and Rivelinho. Pretty devastated when England got beat. People keep saying Beckenbauer scored just after Charlton was subbed, pretty sure that the substitution was right after the goal though.

Grabowski turning Terry Cooper inside out

An incomplete sticker album and coins from Esso garage with petrol.

Last edited:
My memories are watching the highlights before going to school as the afternoon games were too late, I was 10. Some weekend games kicked off lunchtime so were early evening UK times.

First time I'd ever seen players bend a ball and take free kicks like Pele and Rivelinho. Pretty devastated when England got beat. People keep saying Beckenbauer scored just after Charlton was subbed, pretty sure that the substitution was right after the goal though.

Grabowski turning Terry Cooper inside out

An incomplete sticker album and coins from Esso garage with petrol.

That's a metaphor for life:lol:

I know I was on holiday at Butlins for the early part of it.

Collecting both the stickers book and the England team coins from Esso(?)

Trying to do some of the Brazilian skills down the park

And thinking these beauts (below) were the best thing I had seen. I wanted some so bad.

Logon or register to see this image

Without doubt the best. We were the reigning Champions and had a decent team, Banks making that save, Bobby Moore shoplifting, Pele and that brilliant Brazilian side. It really had me falling in love with the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back