1970 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

I remember watching the build up for the fourth when Pele appears to lay it off to no-one and thinking "who's that to Pele you knacker ?" :oops:

That's a metaphor for life:lol:

Sounds like a "Likely lads" line doesnt it?

Without doubt the best. We were the reigning Champions and had a decent team, Banks making that save, Bobby Moore shoplifting, Pele and that brilliant Brazilian side. It really had me falling in love with the game.

The 70 team thought they were better than the 66 team.

I remember watching the build up for the fourth when Pele appears to lay it off to no-one and thinking "who's that to Pele you knacker ?" :oops:

Very similar to our winning goal v Burnley under Keane. A passing movement from the left corner flag up the pitch then laid off and whack.

What??
1990 was so bad and so negative it's what made FIFA change the back-pass rule, to speed the game up.
Which is pretty much the last thing that FIFA got right.

England fans over rate 1990 as it was good from an English perspective becos it showed we actually could play modern football. The FA then appointed Graham fuckin Taylor and we went back to English style dreary unimaginative boring football until Venables took over when we got with it daddyo. We're still back playing unbearable English football that stinks out every tournament we go to 25 fuckin years after Italia90.
The ROTW & FIFA thought it was a godawful WC which as you say forced the biggest onfield rule change since the invention of offside.

Last edited:
In 1970 we had a redifusion telly & just before the World Cup final our neighbour (whose son ran Burlesque in Peterlee & daughter went out with the brother of ex Villa star Brian Little) put his spade through our TV cable. Luckily the neighbour to the other side let us watch on his black n white DER.

Up come's Carlos Alberto on the right..........Smash, sitting in the corner of the net!
Lucky little bobble helped it sit up nicely for him.

Last edited:
Loved Jack Charlton, as a panellist his pronunciations of the Brazillian players names ( Toastio, Rivellnio, Jersinio, Girson and Pelly) it was a great world cup. My favourite game was Germany and Italy in the semi-final, 4 - 3 I think, end to end and Luigi Riva and Gianni Rivera were my favourites. Also loved Teofilio Cubillas of Peru.

Obviously the greatest world cup ever. No one will argue about that. Was wondering what memories lads and lasses on here who watched this tournament as a youngun had of it?

Was living in Edinburgh at the time. Colour telly had just come out and my mate Alan smith (wonder where he is now?) sat and watched it way after midnight IIRC for some of the group games. england, arguably, had a better team than in 1966 and what a final Brazil v Us would have made.

given that the tournament had just 16 teams it made for a very high quality tournament. Remember some of the players on display: Belgium - Van himst (class act), Russia - shesternev (great footballer), brazil (all class - pick one), england - world champions - moore, brilliant, banks worlds best goalie, Peru - cubillas and chumpitaz, Uruguay - Ladislao Mazurkiewicz (arguably on a par with Banks), I could go on. Not even mentioned the Italians with Riva, Facchetti, Rivera, Mazzola, Germany with muller, Seeler and co.

Unsurpassable as regards quality of footballer. Wont be repeated.

It produced of course the best world cup final ever. Sat watching it as a youngun mesmerised at the players on display and the quality of the football. no disgrace for Italy to be beaten by the greatest football team ever.

Magic.

No diving, no gamesmanship, no talk of inflated contracts. no sky telly videos of average footballers being portrayed as the greatest ever. no FIFA 2015 shite or owt like that. clearly the likes of Messi looks average when compared to some of these lads. Messi and roney (spelling) might have made the subs bench for Israel or some one like that.
Totally the best ever to watch.just missed out on the 66 WC wish I'd been older to have watched

Remember watching the highlights show every morning before running to school. It finished at summit like three mins to nine and me and half the school would tear out of their houses and sprint to school and still be there for nine! Kids charging along every street,twas like summit from a scifi fillum. I cant even get up off the sofa quickly now ffs.
I loved Tostao and Facchetti. The Uruquayans were the only squad I managed to complete in my Mexico70 sticker book.....had a soft spot for the cheating dirty dodgy bastards ever since. The official fillums a bit weird but they were simpler times......or so we thought.
Best WC ever.

Naaah. No one who saw both would agree.

Argentina `78 was the 1st World Cup I remember well. Had the full sticker book including Ralf Edstrom about 20 times.!!!!
Loved the music, the ticker tape and everything about it except England not being there.

Remember watching the 66 semi final against Portugal (and Eusabio) at my auntie's house cos she was the only one with a color tele. night game and a great pair of Bobby Charlton goals to see us through 2-1

Obviously the greatest world cup ever. No one will argue about that. Was wondering what memories lads and lasses on here who watched this tournament as a youngun had of it?

Was living in Edinburgh at the time. Colour telly had just come out and my mate Alan smith (wonder where he is now?) sat and watched it way after midnight IIRC for some of the group games. england, arguably, had a better team than in 1966 and what a final Brazil v Us would have made.

given that the tournament had just 16 teams it made for a very high quality tournament. Remember some of the players on display: Belgium - Van himst (class act), Russia - shesternev (great footballer), brazil (all class - pick one), england - world champions - moore, brilliant, banks worlds best goalie, Peru - cubillas and chumpitaz, Uruguay - Ladislao Mazurkiewicz (arguably on a par with Banks), I could go on. Not even mentioned the Italians with Riva, Facchetti, Rivera, Mazzola, Germany with muller, Seeler and co.

Unsurpassable as regards quality of footballer. Wont be repeated.

It produced of course the best world cup final ever. Sat watching it as a youngun mesmerised at the players on display and the quality of the football. no disgrace for Italy to be beaten by the greatest football team ever.

Magic.

No diving, no gamesmanship, no talk of inflated contracts. no sky telly videos of average footballers being portrayed as the greatest ever. no FIFA 2015 shite or owt like that. clearly the likes of Messi looks average when compared to some of these lads. Messi and roney (spelling) might have made the subs bench for Israel or some one like that.
Remember Zico at the 1982 one if that helps

The one negative about the 70 World Cup was that everyone knew Brazil would win. The question was who would they slaughter in the final?

Remember watching the 66 semi final against Portugal (and Eusabio) at my auntie's house cos she was the only one with a color tele. night game and a great pair of Bobby Charlton goals to see us through 2-1

Your Auntie mustve been as posh as owt marra. We didnt get a colour telly until late April 1973...............then me da got a ticket and he wanted to send it back!!!

IIRC Banksie went down with a stomach bug or summat before the game.

A few players had a sneaky bottled beer or two but Banks mustve had a bad un. They all denied it at the time:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back