1970 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Omega Man

Obviously the greatest world cup ever. No one will argue about that. Was wondering what memories lads and lasses on here who watched this tournament as a youngun had of it?

Was living in Edinburgh at the time. Colour telly had just come out and my mate Alan smith (wonder where he is now?) sat and watched it way after midnight IIRC for some of the group games. england, arguably, had a better team than in 1966 and what a final Brazil v Us would have made.

given that the tournament had just 16 teams it made for a very high quality tournament. Remember some of the players on display: Belgium - Van himst (class act), Russia - shesternev (great footballer), brazil (all class - pick one), england - world champions - moore, brilliant, banks worlds best goalie, Peru - cubillas and chumpitaz, Uruguay - Ladislao Mazurkiewicz (arguably on a par with Banks), I could go on. Not even mentioned the Italians with Riva, Facchetti, Rivera, Mazzola, Germany with muller, Seeler and co.

Unsurpassable as regards quality of footballer. Wont be repeated.

It produced of course the best world cup final ever. Sat watching it as a youngun mesmerised at the players on display and the quality of the football. no disgrace for Italy to be beaten by the greatest football team ever.

Magic.

No diving, no gamesmanship, no talk of inflated contracts. no sky telly videos of average footballers being portrayed as the greatest ever. no FIFA 2015 shite or owt like that. clearly the likes of Messi looks average when compared to some of these lads. Messi and roney (spelling) might have made the subs bench for Israel or some one like that.

1930 was mega. remember it like it was yesterday. great pills back then too. all night raves on the beach. uruguayan lasses.
You'll be mentioning 1950 next. come on Gus. sort yourself out.

The greatest array of talent I've ever seen at a single tournament, no question about that for me. Second stringers like Gerson and Tostao were incredible players.
didnt even get round to mentioning them. Unbelievable players. that quality of world cup will never, IMHO, be repeated. It was about football, not money.

I remember going on watch and being 2-0 up, fuckin' Ramsey taking Charlton off and England falling to bits. As the Kaiseer said, it gave Germany such a boost to see him leaving the field. Ramsey was a bit of a chump actually, fortunate to win the cup in 66 he made some bad errors of judgement later. After Macdonald (yeah I know) had scored five against Cyprus (yeah I know) he left him on the bench in a drab, boring 0-0 draw against Portugal, when Portugal were crap. Strange man.

Remember Ramsey taking Bobby Charlton off when we were leading. Allowed Beckinbauer to push forward and you know the rest

Remember watching the highlights show every morning before running to school. It finished at summit like three mins to nine and me and half the school would tear out of their houses and sprint to school and still be there for nine! Kids charging along every street,twas like summit from a scifi fillum. I cant even get up off the sofa quickly now ffs.
I loved Tostao and Facchetti. The Uruquayans were the only squad I managed to complete in my Mexico70 sticker book.....had a soft spot for the cheating dirty dodgy bastards ever since. The official fillums a bit weird but they were simpler times......or so we thought.
Best WC ever.

1990 was the best WC

Naaah. No one who saw both would agree.

Remember watching the highlights show every morning before running to school. It finished at summit like three mins to nine and me and half the school would tear out of their houses and sprint to school and still be there for nine! Kids charging along every street,twas like summit from a scifi fillum. I cant even get up off the sofa quickly now ffs.
I loved Tostao and Facchetti. The Uruquayans were the only squad I managed to complete in my Mexico70 sticker book.....had a soft spot for the cheating dirty dodgy bastards ever since. The official fillums a bit weird but they were simpler times......or so we thought.
Best WC ever.

Naaah. No one who saw both would agree.
I always think it's what one you get into first

Obviously the greatest world cup ever. No one will argue about that. Was wondering what memories lads and lasses on here who watched this tournament as a youngun had of it?

Magic.

:lol:

You mean it was "obviously the first world cup to be shown in nearly everyone's house in colour."

The 1958 and 1962 world cups were both miles better. But a load of clueless kids like yourself couldn't sit at home watching every game and carrying on like experts for those ones, so you have to re write history to suit yourself. Typical modern day fan.

Brazil were fuckin tremendous.
The thing was back here in the UK, we had never seen the"banana shot" before. We were all out trying to do it after seeing the Brazilians do it.

Watched Brazil game in the Rink in park lane, they had a colour telly upstairs.
Wearing me blazer,sherman, sta prest and loafers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back