Zero chance of getting a credible 1st team coach

Define credible.

At least two of the last three have been credible.
Most decent managers/coaches are in employment and have their own lieutenants that they have worked with for years.
Occasionally you can get someone who has recently been sacked that turns out to be a reasonable choice, but I can't think of many at all.
They usually want a decent package which our wage structure probably doesn't allow.
2 of the last 3 managers walked or became thoroughly disillusioned with the model and the inflexibility of the situation. It is totally absurd to expect untried teenagers to carry the burden of main goal scorer in a competitive league like the Championship.
All 3 of the last managers were unemployed.
So we will probably be looking for someone where no compensation will be payable, doesn't want to bring in any of their own staff who doesn't mind having very little input in the transfer dealings. Not someone who will be credible imo.

I think that what you’ll find is most don’t think that, as long as the trajectory is forward moving.

I’d argue our signings since January 23 have been pretty awful on the whole. And that is going backwards.
I see why people think this, because the signings haven’t made a substantial impact on the first team, but that doesn’t mean they are awful. Clarke and Hume are two examples of players that stank out the place in their first season, and are now pretty much un-droppable. What happens if that happens to Hemir next year?
Hjelde looked part of the furniture after 2 games, and Seelt has looked very solid with his few appearances.

At the end of the day it’s just my opinion, but I really think we need a mindset shift. So many players have been written off with very little game time, and when that limited game time is brought up, people just say “well they must be crap if they aren’t getting picked” with absolutely no focus on the fact that by design, our signings probably aren’t going to make an instant impact.

Now if we were in the relegation zone, I’d say that we can’t afford to wait, but realistically we are on there or there abouts the same points total but a lower position, with the expectation our assets will mature in time.

Most decent managers/coaches are in employment and have their own lieutenants that they have worked with for years.
Occasionally you can get someone who has recently been sacked that turns out to be a reasonable choice, but I can't think of many at all.
They usually want a decent package which our wage structure probably doesn't allow.
2 of the last 3 managers walked or became thoroughly disillusioned with the model and the inflexibility of the situation. It is totally absurd to expect untried teenagers to carry the burden of main goal scorer in a competitive league like the Championship.
All 3 of the last managers were unemployed.
So we will probably be looking for someone where no compensation will be payable, doesn't want to bring in any of their own staff who doesn't mind having very little input in the transfer dealings. Not someone who will be credible imo.
Just about every manager in the game has lost their job at some point. Our only realistic chance of getting someone who hasn't is appointing someone who's brand new.

I see why people think this, because the signings haven’t made a substantial impact on the first team, but that doesn’t mean they are awful. Clarke and Hume are two examples of players that stank out the place in their first season, and are now pretty much un-droppable. What happens if that happens to Hemir next year?
Hjelde looked part of the furniture after 2 games, and Seelt has looked very solid with his few appearances.

At the end of the day it’s just my opinion, but I really think we need a mindset shift. So many players have been written off with very little game time, and when that limited game time is brought up, people just say “well they must be crap if they aren’t getting picked” with absolutely no focus on the fact that by design, our signings probably aren’t going to make an instant impact.

Now if we were in the relegation zone, I’d say that we can’t afford to wait, but realistically we are on there or there abouts the same points total but a lower position, with the expectation our assets will mature in time.
I can see where you’re coming from.
But both Gelhardt and this season Burstow were season loans and therefore don’t have that luxury. If those in charge are seeing something good in Burstow in particular, there’s a massive problem.

I can see where you’re coming from.
But both Gelhardt and this season Burstow were season loans and therefore don’t have that luxury. If those in charge are seeing something good in Burstow in particular, there’s a massive problem.
On that much I 100% agree, everything I said applies to players we buy. Loans are meant to fill gaps and Burstow hasn’t. I like the lad, and he has good link up play, but something went wrong there.

That doesn’t mean it was doomed from the start though - by all accounts he looked dangerous, and was beginning to get cup games for Chelsea. Signings are a gamble, and we lost out on that one.

Aye financial stability always represents a mega fuck up.
Areet Kyril lad.

He was doing very well but has placed too much faith in his model and binning Mowbray and bringing in Beale was a monumental mistake that EVERYONE knew was going to fail. And in bringing in Beale in the way he did (not being able to bring his own staff in) makes us not a great prospect for decent managers. Add to the awful way other aspects off the field has been run then yes he has fucked up big time.

He managed to go from everyone feeling pretty good about the club to despair in the space of three months.

I'm not a KLD out by the way. Far from it. But I'll call out where things are wrong and he needs to fix.

Your point about the young players is a good one, but they need minutes if they’re going to develop. Our season is gone anyway, so people like Hemir, Rusyn, Rigg and Mundle should be getting starts, to help prepare them for next season.

Your point about the young players is a good one, but they need minutes if they’re going to develop. Our season is gone anyway, so people like Hemir, Rusyn, Rigg and Mundle should be getting starts, to help prepare them for next season.
I want to see Hemir get minutes.
He’s quite exciting and has a quality pass on him.

Judging on the fact he’s not even starting on loan, I think Mayenda may be a write off.

Genuinely don’t think dodds will want it regardless of how he performs, not sure he fancies the main job and exposure that comes with it. Get the feeling he is happy doing what he is doing with a little distance between him and the main man.

Big test is if a new man wants even his second in command with him where does that leave dodds and proctor, where does that leave us…..present history gives us both options appointing Mowbray and Venus with dodds and proctor a little more removed but the the scenario of 4 or so voices on the touchline or taking someone who will come without any back room staff (Beale).

Neither are ideal…..huge decision for the club

Wish people would stop worrying about the future. Honestly the amount of negative threads we have over things that may or may not happen is ridiculous.

Why would a serious, self respecting manager come here?

THREE consecutive managers now have made it pretty clear that they didnt have enough control/backing to do their jobs properly. For fucks sake - the last bloke was only here for eight weeks, and even that was long enough for him to start retweeting stuff, before he was sacked, about him not getting any backing.

The job here isn’t a serious managerial post. It’s just a glorified flak jacket for Speakman. Someone to wheel out in front of the camera every Thursday and take responsibility for Speakmans decisions.

Last edited:

Back