Zak Johnson

He's well ahead of his peers who are in comparison are 1st year out of the u18s trying to feature for the u21s.

Johnson has already played for the 1st team, Captained his country and had a loan at senior level.

Let's just have a sense of perspective

I think this is an excellent loan. Gives him even more experience against senior pros. The club obviously rate him

It's the Irish premier league mate. It's my opinion that I don't seem that league any good at all for his development
We signed Trai Hume from a worse league and hes took to first team like a duck to water. I think you are underestimating the standard. Have a look at the team he's moved to there's loads of players who's played English a f Scottish league at a decent level

The standard will be higher. Just look at the players who have got moves to England from the League of Ireland. I suppose he'll gain experience and it will benefit the club that way. More likely it will be a move to kick start his career.

I can appreciate that. A decent enough response compared to the others. My opinion is based on nowt but assumptions. I don't know enough about the lad to judge properly. But a failed national League loan doesn't look great to me . Compare it to Patterson's national league move.

An odd move. He needed the loan, but not sure what he'll gain from being at Dundalk. Not sure what the club will gain. Don't believe the lad has a future at Sunderland at all

Massive over reaction here marra, very much the norm for centre half’s to reach potential in mid twenties, this lad has lots of scope to grow.

Your mere assumptions are pretty shan and ott based on absolutely nothing it seems.

What's shan ? Genuinely lost. My opinion is the premier league in Ireland is a very poor standard. I don't know whether there is a rating for leagues of countries, but I would assume Ireland is pretty low on the list.

I asked if it could potentially be an attitude problem with the lad? A question, not an assumption. If we have high hopes for the lad, then I don't think it's a great move mesel.

Nowt Shan about any of it
Massive over reaction here marra, very much the norm for centre half’s to reach potential in mid twenties, this lad has lots of scope to grow.

I just don't rate the league he's went to. Might well prove me wrong. Who knows. Would Scotland not have been a better option ?

Last edited:
What's shan ? Genuinely lost. My opinion is the premier league in Ireland is a very poor standard. I don't know whether there is a rating for leagues of countries, but I would assume Ireland is pretty low on the list.

I asked if it could potentially be an attitude problem with the lad? A question, not an assumption. If we have high hopes for the lad, then I don't think it's a great move mesel.

Nowt Shan about any of it

I just don't rate the league he's went to. Might well prove me wrong. Who knows. Would Scotland not have been a better option ?
He can't go to Scotland as the transfer window has shut. This is probably the highest level he can go to. Either there or Norway

I can appreciate that. A decent enough response compared to the others. My opinion is based on nowt but assumptions. I don't know enough about the lad to judge properly. But a failed national League loan doesn't look great to me . Compare it to Patterson's national league move.

I think people, myself included, just forget how young some of the lads on the fringes are, in relativity to the average footballer's age; mostly due to having such a young squad. People desperate for a 16 year old to be starting games is an example of this. Constant berating of an 18 year old midfielder that's scored 5 in 30, and is often used out of position. Another example. Has this ever happened at any other club? I'm also guilty of this, so it's not a dig.

I wouldn't look too much in to 11 games at Hartlepool at 18 years old in his first experience at senior level, and most fans of other clubs wouldn't. Our judgement (imo) gets a bit clouded though due to our squad as a whole being so young.

He only just signed a new contract in the September, so I doubt he has any type of attitude problem, and I don't think a club that prioritises player development like we do would just dump a young player in Ireland for an attitude issue either.

Just need to take a step back and see the bigger picture, which is fair.

I think it's time some go out now. Who you thinking?
I'm not sure on how the club are seeing it. 21s are doing well, better than for god knows how long, 6-8 years? European competition for next year is a good possibility and experience for the lads to develop. Still in PL2 cup and knock out stage a strong possibility too.
Overall individual development is key. Some are on their final few months too, contract wise. Always been told whatever you think it's probably the opposite of what the coaches do! But to answer I'd say caden Kelly, can't see Crompton going now, hemir could go out for me. Change of scenery and some experience.

I'm not sure on how the club are seeing it. 21s are doing well, better than for god knows how long, 6-8 years? European competition for next year is a good possibility and experience for the lads to develop. Still in PL2 cup and knock out stage a strong possibility too.
Overall individual development is key. Some are on their final few months too, contract wise. Always been told whatever you think it's probably the opposite of what the coaches do! But to answer I'd say caden Kelly, can't see Crompton going now, hemir could go out for me. Change of scenery and some experience.
I'd like to see Caden Kelly have a go at senior football. I do rate the lad. Be interesting to see how he gets on against senior players.

I do get its a fine balancing act with the rewards on offer for the u21s this season.

Saying that Marshall Burke has played a decent amount of u21s. I'd like to see him given a chance to go out. Maybe Ben Middlemass and Henry Fieldson too.

Aye those were my thoughts. Maybe an attitude problem, I don't know. Just assumptions at this stage. Was the loan to Hartlepool a success do you know ?
Looking purely at the games he played in, Hartlepool went on their worst run of form during the time he was playing for them. So I wouldn't have thought it was a brilliant spell.

Before he joined: W6 L4 D1
Games he played: W2 L6 D3
After he left: W4 L4 D1

What's the over reaction ? I stated it was merely assumptions more than owt else. I don't know . I find it a strange move in my opinion . Others will know more than I do about the Irish premier league
Yet you clearly state that you "don't believe he has a future at Sunderland at all".

I don’t see any way Hemir goes out on loan mate with Mayanda being let go.

Only possibility would be Gateshead or Hartlepool local where we could recall him, but I just don’t see us losing him as bench option tbh
Looking purely at the games he played in, Hartlepool went on their worst run of form during the time he was playing for them. So I wouldn't have thought it was a brilliant spell.

Before he joined: W6 L4 D1
Games he played: W2 L6 D3
After he left: W4 L4 D1

You might as well go the whole hog and blame him for the manager being sacked mate.

The kid was being played out of position at 18, all the way round probably not the best loan for all parties who I’m sure have learnt from it.

Last edited:

Back