Your next mortgage

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m in the last year of a 5yr fixed rate , and will have 9 years left on my mortgage at that point.
I will probably be in a position to pay off what’s left on it a year later (Dec 2022).
Can’t find a 1 year deal anywhere and will probably have to drop onto the SVR for a year as I’m looking at about 4K in early repayment fees if I take out a 2 yr fixed rate and pay it off early.
Going onto the SVR will probably increase my monthly payments by about £100 a month.
Does anyone have any other suggestions or best way to proceed ?

I’m in the last year of a 5yr fixed rate , and will have 9 years left on my mortgage at that point.
I will probably be in a position to pay off what’s left on it a year later (Dec 2022).
Can’t find a 1 year deal anywhere and will probably have to drop onto the SVR for a year as I’m looking at about 4K in early repayment fees if I take out a 2 yr fixed rate and pay it off early.
Going onto the SVR will probably increase my monthly payments by about £100 a month.
Not worth flipping to save a couple hundred quid

Just saying it might be worth looking at these products

Actually got it wrong.. it's 1.49 above base
I’d guess those trackers won’t be about right now. They’ll be priced with the current market. The good lifetime trackers were about years ago when they thought of base rates being 1% & below seemed a million miles away.

At 1.49% you might get a decent fixed rate close to that. Depending on your LTV

Why not just take a 2 year out & pay off at end of 2 years? You can currently get about 0.5% in instant access savings (maybe a bit more for 1 year fix) so just net off the difference from your mortgage which will probably be cheaper than SVR or hit with ERC's

I’d guess those trackers won’t be about right now. They’ll be priced with the current market. The good lifetime trackers were about years ago when they thought of base rates being 1% & below seemed a million miles away.

1.99 with first direct... Best I could find

There’ll be products out there with no early repayment fees. Probably trackers. However, nowt wrong with taking a 2yr fix & paying it off at the end of that. I’d guess the interest you’ll pay will be minimal.

Just had a quick google & nationwide do a 2yr variable rate at 2.09% with no set up fee & no early repayment charge

We’ve not long taken out a 5yr fix at 1.69% with nationwide just want the certainty of a fixed payment as that’s the last 5 years of mortgage. Might start a countdown clock actually

Made sure it’s portable too as looking to move this year at some stage

A fiscal conundrum for you this arvo.

I'm awaiting for some kind of housing farce in March when they reintroduce stamp duty and the other thing which slips my mind, but here we are again, a new mortgage product is soon required for Casa de Keawyeds.
I'm using Trussle mortgage brokers. I've used them ever since we got this house and I really recommend them. Or maybe we've just got a great bloke. Either way.
Yes I'm quite capable of looking for an arranging my own, but this takes a bit of hassle out and in all honesty we wouldn't have found the mortgage we got originally had it not been for them, so there.

We've been in 2 minds as to what to do. Do you go short again and have another 2 year fixed and have to do it again in 2 years, or do you play a slightly longer game.
How long as you going for you next mortgage? How long do you usually go for?

I've seen the recommendations and to be honest on this occasion it'll be either 2 year or 3 year fixed. I can't see the benefit of going for a longer one. Not without whacking great fees.
Thoughts?
When we spoke to an advisor about our mortgage in Sept, we were told to fix as long as you can. Mortgage rates won’t be as low as this for a long time.

Edit: we don’t plan on moving again mind.

We got a five year offset fixed at 1.59%.
1.99 with first direct... Best I could find
For 65% ltv Coventry are doing 1.39 fixed for two years and 1.49 for 3 years.

Last edited:
Tracker, reasonably low at present and should be able to get one with no early repayment charges. They could go up though, I’d be careful

Tracker, reasonably low at present and should be able to get one with no early repayment charges. They could go up though, I’d be careful
The Bank of England have told banks to have systems ready for negative interest rates should they bring them in in 6 months. Rates would only ever creep up, so in his two years I’d be pretty confident

Depends how much risk you want to take but personally always done 2/3 year fixed or trackers based on lowest over lifetime.

personally I’m willing to absorb the risk in the current climate that the interest rate is not going to increase markedly

Over the 18 years of my mortgage (15 of which with Nationwide) I've only ever had trackers and I'm fairly certain each one has cost me less over its duration than the equivalent fixed rate at the time. Right now there's probably little to choose between the two options in terms of interest, but a tracker is always more flexible. And interest rates are unlikely to go up anytime soon. Obviously a fixed rate is better if you want less risk but you tend to pay a premium for it in my experience (and actually, the risk of paying an exit fee if you wanted to get out of it is worth bearing in mind too).

We recently renewed for 5 years at 1.84% with 400 quid cash back with Barclays after some ridiculous under valuing from other companies. I mean laughable quotes. Like they didn't want the custom or something. 🤷

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back