Your gaming/computing history...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedi_toaster

Striker
@HebburnMackem got me thinking in his recent thread about a pc case when he posted his computing history. So let’s have a giggle and see who has the most obscure heritage. I think I’m fairly ‘normal’ with my progression over the years....

Atari with pong that my dad ‘borrowed’ from the school he taught in
Amstrad CPC 464 - a beast of a games machine (!) that I got for Christmas when I was about 8
Amiga 500 - didn’t really get better than this for me....memories... 1989
SNES at my mates house for games nights, occasionally borrowed - 1992ish
PlayStation rented from the video shop with my mates - 1996ish
PC - pentium 120, 100meg harddrive, 16 mb memory, first experience of FPS with Quake - 1996
N64 - our university time-waster of choice - 1997
PlayStation again - bought for £20 from a mate, mainly for Brian Lara Cricket - 1999
PC - can’t remember spec, was pretty shit, but could run FIFA and a few others - 2000
PS2 - gran tourismo edition - 2001
Wii - obviously I was sold on wii bowling. Shittest console I’ve owned. Not cheap. - 2006
PS3 - bought when I got a big ol’ bonus from work, was just out, so paid about £600 - 2006
PSP - got free with a phone contract. Glad I didn’t pay for it. Shite. - 2007
PS4 - birthday present in 2014, so obviously I paid for it anyway - 2014
Wii U - second hand, fancied giving the big N another go. Sold it to fund psvr - 2016
XBox 1 - just got it to play pubg. I’m a twat. - 2018

Dear me....that’s just made me realise that it didn’t really get better than when I was 12 and got my Amiga. Multiplayer on n64 was good though, 4 people squinting at 6x6 inches of tv screen!

Atari 2400 (hand me down from an older cousin)
Commodore 64 (hand me down from the same cousin)
Amiga 500+ (mine mother fuckers!)
Gameboy
SNES
Mega Drive
PS1
N64
First PC, always had one since
PS2
GameCube
XBox 360
NDS
Wii
PS3
3DS
PS4
Wii U
XBone
Switch

There was a Gameboy colour somewhere too.

You're all putting me to shame!

Atari 2600 (Prolly 1979)
ZX81
Atari 600XL
BBC B
CBM 64
Amiga 500
Amiga 1200
Amiga CD32
9 x PCs (First one was 25 Mhz 486 SX)
PS 1
PS 2
XBOX 1
XBOX 360
Sony PSP

I've been mostly exclusively PC since the Amiga days. Bought consoles but never used them since.

Atari ST '89 Best Christmas ever; my dad had a 'test' of it a few days before and knacked the formula one game :evil:
Gameboy '90 Still gets the blame for me needing glasses now
Mega Drive '91 used to swap this with a few mates for their Amiga 600 & SNES
PC 486DX2 '92 this was the dogs bollox in the day, the beigest machine that ever existed; had stereo speakers in a drivebay and played doom no problem, what more do you need
Various home built PCs featuring Cyrix 6x86, AMD K6, Athlon, Pentium III, Athlon XP, Pentium 4, Athlon 64, Core2, Athlon 64 X2, i7 and whatever the best Gfx card was at the time. The overclocking years.
SNES '99 finally bought one after being jealous of my mate for years
Ps2 '02 had played gran turismo to death on a mates ps1 & couldn't not have it for myself when the 3rd instalment came out
Wii '06 bought as a family console and a bit of a laugh, still play it now
Ps3 '07 around this point when I realised PCs were for the internet and consoles for games (don't kill me)
DS '07 mrs hypersonic got addicted to professor layton games
WiiU '12 would have been shelved very quickly had it not been for mario kart
3DS XL '13 cue fears of all my kids ending up cross eyed from the 3d
Ps4 '14
Switch (For the kids ;)) a lot better than I thought it would be

Looking back, I still think the best times I had playing games were in the mid 90s. Sonic, Gran Turismo, Command & Conquer, Transport Tycoon, Sim City 2000 and a weird racing game called Fatal Racing had most of my childhood!

Atari ST '89 Best Christmas ever; my dad had a 'test' of it a few days before and knacked the formula one game :evil:
Pffft. Amiga was the boy. Remember my mate having an Atari ST and his only argument for them was how extensively they were used in the music industry. That reasoning doesn’t hold much water when you consider the extent of our computing was massively pirating software and playing games, not once did he make music on it....ironically I put hours and hours into music programmes on my Amiga, a particular highlight being a version of Pachelbell’s Canon which I ‘funked up’. Took me ages. Couldn’t actually record it onto anything though, other than holding my boom box up to the telly speakers and pressing record.

Pffft. Amiga was the boy. Remember my mate having an Atari ST and his only argument for them was how extensively they were used in the music industry. That reasoning doesn’t hold much water when you consider the extent of our computing was massively pirating software and playing games, not once did he make music on it....ironically I put hours and hours into music programmes on my Amiga, a particular highlight being a version of Pachelbell’s Canon which I ‘funked up’. Took me ages. Couldn’t actually record it onto anything though, other than holding my boom box up to the telly speakers and pressing record.
I have to agree. The Amiga pissed all over the ST in just about every way apart from having a marginally slower CPU. More than made up several times over by the custom chips though. Nevermind the music industry, the Amiga was used in the Movie industry.. Things like Babylon 5 started off with it.

Sega Mega Drive
SNES
Game Boy
Nintendo 64
Game Boy Colour
PS1
Dreamcast
PS2
Gameboy Advance
Gamecube
Nintendo DS
PSP
Wii
PS3
Xbox 360
3DS
PS4
Wii U
Switch

Commodore
Megadrive
PS1
Dreamcast (absolute twat)
PS2
Gamecube
PS4

So dull it almost definitely wasn't worth typing out.

Nintendo (can't remember which)
Sega Mega drive
Game boy
Game boy colour
PlayStation 1
PlayStation 2
Game boy advance
Game boy SP
PSP
Xbox 360
Nintendo wii (sold after less than a week)
PlayStation 3
Xbox one
PlayStation 4
Xbox one S
Xbox One X - The world's most powerful games console :cool:

Acorn Electron
Atari 2600
NES
Game Boy
Mega Drive
Mega CD
Saturn
PlayStation
Dreamcast
Game Boy Colour
Xbox
PSP
Xbox360
DS
3DS
Xbox One

With PC here and there in amongst them too.

Mega drive
Mega drive II
Game boy
Psone many of them
Game boy advance
Ps2 two of them
Nintendo ds
PS3 one fat one skinny
PS4
Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.