Your first boots?

Puma..West Germany..bloody loved them!!...played Pennywell comp and at thier place..got home and realised I'd forgot them!!!!..being a Thorney close Comp lad, its safe to say I didn't go back for them!!..me fatha went nuts!!😩😩

Me Mam got me them from the sports shop in the Arcade down High Street. Ankle high nail in studs and reinforced toe caps and git long wrap around laces. Very much like these. Must have been about 1962.

Logon or register to see this image
I think my first pair were similar to these, Pottsy...certainly had that ankle-high cut and a dodgy double stripe.
But my first really memorable pair came in about 1970...these days boots come in all vulgar colours and styles but back then I got my first pair of white boots... revolutionary in those times. Alan Ball was the first player to wear them - made by Hummel - and Sunderland's Colin Todd and Joe Baker, I seem to remember, both had spells wearing them. Good boots, too.
Then they went out of fashion again until, 30 years later, coloured boots crept back in and are now utterly dominant over the once-mighty black.

Last edited:
Some shite hand me down. Didn’t get a decent pair until I was about 15. Made sure my sons first ones were decent- Adidas Nemizis. He’s since had Puma Kings, Puma Ones and most recently Nike Tiempo. Can usually get a bargain in children’s boots but now he’s a size 7 it’s adult prices.

I think my first pair were similar to these, Pottsy...certainly had that ankle-high cut and a dodgy double stripe.
But my first really memorable pair came in about 1970...these days boots come in all vulgar colours and styles but back then I got my first pair of white boots... revolutionary in those times. Alan Ball was the first player to wear them - made by Hummel - and Sunderland's Colin Todd and Joe Baker, I seem to remember, both had spells wearing them. Good boots, too.
Then they went out of fashion again until, 30 years later, coloured boots crept back in and are now utterly dominant over the once-mighty black.
I found the photo of the boots that were similar to my/our first pair on Ebay. Some geezer wanted £140 of them !! :eek:

I take it that those on sale were adult sized mine must have been about size 2 . (The Pott's family are renowned for having exceptionally small feet in fact before the Battle of Bosworth Richard III remarked upon those of an ancestors - hence we have always been crap footballers.)

I told my parents I would need footy boots when I started juniors (1964). My dad said he had some and got out a small brown
demob case. Inside were his old boots from when he played (1950). They were brown ankle high boots with cork studs nailed into the sole .
They were 4 sizes too big and he said that was a good thing as we could stick newspapers in so when the stud nails came through it wouldnt hurt so much .
I could feel the tears coming when he said we best get some new ones.
Went to Jack Hatfields a local lads sports shop (he was a champion swimmer who won 3 medals at the 1912 Stockholm Olympics). I got a pair of jet black leather Relum Jupiter boots. They were so sleek and sporty. I loved them.

I'm sure mine were those Dunlop ones with the silver logo on the side. The first pair I can remember really loving were Puma Mundials with the white tongue that folded over. Absolute beauties.

Had cheap pairs from Woolies when I was really young. First proper pair was Adidas Beckenbauers when I started playing for the primary school team when I was 9.

I was actually looking at getting another pair this weekend as one of my mates has started played over 40s and asked if I wanted a game.

The Copa Mundial boots that I’ve always sworn by are now nearly £150 ffs!
Have a gander on MandM direct. Some bargains on there for mid range boots. Got some Puma ones for fifteen quid to have a kick about with my son a couple of years back and they’re more than good enough for an owld fella like me. Last time I looked they were more like 55 quid on there though.

Patrick Kevin Keegans 1983 metal studs - we used to sharpen them before games.....I was 8, sometimes I look back at things I did as a youngster and think what a pr@ck.

What were the first football boots you had?

Stylo George Best for me. Made of rubber, moulded soles when my mates had screw ins but I loved them.

Not sure if they were my first pair, but I certainly had a pair.

My favourites would have been puma circa 1972/73 as modelled by Brazil 1970.

At 11/12 years old, I was easily the best player in the world at the time. ;)
Me Mam got me them from the sports shop in the Arcade down High Street. Ankle high nail in studs and reinforced toe caps and git long wrap around laces. Very much like these. Must have been about 1962.

Logon or register to see this image

Bringing back happy memories of my older brothers!

Last edited:

Back