Your favourite classical compositions

I once listened to this on a flight over Africa, at night, during the 1st Gulf War when nobody was travelling and I was the only passenger in the cabin. Before I knew it, there were tears running down my cheeks. (Was fortunate to see it performed by the Vienna Philharmonic in Vienna a four years ago - it still gets me.)

I love Mahler, this especially. It represents a child's funeral running into a travelling Jewish kelzmer band (at 2:30) - symbolising the constant clash between life and death.

The end of this movement, with the piano duelling the orchestra, is thrilling.

If I could only listen to one person's work until I died, it would be JS Bach. he banged out high quality stuff.

YO-YO Ma's Cello suite No.1 is a classic.

Love Lark Ascending by Vaughn Williams

Three curiosities.

First, a recording of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue with an orchestra accompanying a piano roll made by Gershwin himself playing the piano.

Second, an amazing piece by William Russo - a concerto for blues harmonica.

Third, a recording of Chopin's 'Raindrop' made in Reykjavik by Olafur Arnalds and Alice Sara Ott. Arnalds wanted the acoustics of the room to be as much of an instrument as the piano.

I once listened to this on a flight over Africa, at night, during the 1st Gulf War when nobody was travelling and I was the only passenger in the cabin. Before I knew it, there were tears running down my cheeks. (Was fortunate to see it performed by the Vienna Philharmonic in Vienna a four years ago - it still gets me.)

I love Mahler, this especially. It represents a child's funeral running into a travelling Jewish kelzmer band (at 2:30) - symbolising the constant clash between life and death.

The end of this movement, with the piano duelling the orchestra, is thrilling.
My first encounter with Mahler's music was when I saw Neumeier's ballet set to his 3rd symphony. So memorable!

Oh god there is a lot of dust in this house tonight.

Just listening to Maria Callas singing Ave Maria

It really is the most gorgeous thing.

Back