Your favourite aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
You lot would love it at my ma in laws in norfolk she lives near laken heath and mildenhall we get f all sorts flying over. You think they'll take the roof tiles off sometimes. We've had them tip their wings saying hello. Once I was playing golf onn a nearby vourse and some fucker in a n f 15. I think. Thhought it would be jolly good to come up behind me using the fairway as a practice bombing run. Nearly shit mesel. Ruined me back swing

:lol: Now i know you are lying.

Prefer the Hurricane to the Spitfire, they shot down more aircraft in the Battle of Britain and are easier to service.

Interesting fact of the day... when Neville Chamberlain went to see Hitler and signed his pact that guaranteed 'peace in our time', thus getting himself branded some sort of nazi appeasing pantswetter, we had 50 Hurricanes and a squadron of prototype Spitfires. When we declared war, ONE year later, we had ~500 Hurricanes and ~300 Spitfires. Pantswetter, my arse! Clever bastard who realised we'd be fucked if we went to war in 1938, more like.

Spitfire (I thought it was compulsory if you were British) Vulcan (the noise), Eurofighter (it's so pretty).

Mine is the Vulcan Bomber that is in the aircraft museum next to The Three Horse Shoes in Washington. I have been in it when you were able to.

walter mitty said:
You lot would love it at my ma in laws in norfolk she lives near laken heath and mildenhall we get f all sorts flying over. You think they'll take the roof tiles off sometimes. We've had them tip their wings saying hello. Once I was playing golf onn a nearby vourse and some fucker in a n f 15. I think. Thhought it would be jolly good to come up behind me using the fairway as a practice bombing run. Nearly shit mesel. Ruined me back swing

My ma in law has a holiday home over that way (well, a caravan by the beach) and it's canny watching the jets play over the sea. I watched a couple 'dogfight' although I thought they didn't do that anymore and just fired missiles at each other from 1000 miles away or something.

I can imagine!!!! Not sure if i'd relish being at the wheel of the car with all that jet wash blowing about like. :lol:
Won't happen pal, not that close anyway. A parallel runway (if there is one) maybe but other than it's timed runs.

Spitfires were such an advanced design for the time, it was impossible to mass produce them in the quantities needed to match the number of Hurricanes for the battle. Without Hurricanes we would have lost the Battle of Britain. There is absolutely no question of that. Hurricanes performed well against the German fighters when they were scrambled in time to match the height needed and weren't getting bounced by the higher 109s. Hurricanes also slaughtered the 110s. Both Spitfire or Hurricane struggled with the fire power needed to solely destroy the armour plated and well protected German bombers until they introduced cannon, but that was after the Battle. Sometimes 2 or 3 fighters were needed to take out one bomber.

109s had cannon right from the start, but as the Hurricane had a hollow frame, they could take much more punishment. RAF fighter pilots that flew both are still undecided as to which was the better fighter. They'll mostly agree the Spitfire was the better plane, but better fighter seems to be a tougher question to answer for them.

I'm pretty sure that 19 squadron had the two cannon, 4 browning firing rig during the Battle of Britain. Not sure who else had the cannon / browning set up, but some of the Spitfires definitely did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back