Yorkshire Ripper. The long shadow

There has been a good book released in the last 2 years called the secret victims which is a great read. I wouldn’t say the author has got everything right but I do believe there are many other victims out there not attributed to him. For someone as prolific as him why were there no other murders or attacks between 1969 his arrest for going equipped with a hammer and 1975 the McCann murder.
I recently watched this 2 parter documentary called Yorkshire Ripper: The Secret Murders on itvX as there were certainly more victims but the poor police work and attitudes didn't help

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't kna who Bruce Jones is played les Battersby in coronation Street

Sutcliffe actually returned to the crime scene about 8 days after the murder. He was searching for the £5 he'd paid Jordan. He couldn't find it and in a fit of rage he mutilated her body further and tried to decapitate her. A day or two later Jones and his mate discovered what was left of the lass.

The fiver was actually concealed in one of the hand bags pockets.

Used to visit a mate who was at Uni in Leeds at the time of The Ripper. Always remember the looks I got when in the pub ordering drinks at the bar with my Sunlun accent.
My brother , who was living in Chelsea at the time , was also interviewed by the Police. Crazy times.

Used to visit a mate who was at Uni in Leeds at the time of The Ripper. Always remember the looks I got when in the pub ordering drinks at the bar with my Sunlun accent.
My brother , who was living in Chelsea at the time , was also interviewed by the Police. Crazy times.
Think somewhere in his book our ex chairman Bob muarray was questioned over it
I’ll try & find the link he spoke with a Sunderland accent & had a hammer in his car

unfortunately links in daily mail

Last edited:
It’s bound to have been said in the thread but why on earth do they have a fictional ripper victim in ‘Donna Deangelo’ instead of Yvonne Pearson?
Yes...I noticed this as well...the only thing I can think is...her family didn't give consent for ITV to use her name in the drama maybe?

Yes...I noticed this as well...the only thing I can think is...her family didn't give consent for ITV to use her name in the drama maybe?
Im sure her kid will want the distance himself psychologically and socially from his mam being a sex worker , getting bashed in the face and forced into bloweys

I thought it was Margurite Walls she replaced, but I'm probably wrong.

It must be because the families refused permission.

I thought it was Margurite Walls she replaced, but I'm probably wrong.

It must be because the families refused permission.
I'm not sure that they need the families permission if it's based on a book about the case.

Otherwise the author of the book would need to get permission from anyone they mention in it.

Back