Yorkshire Ripper. The long shadow

joebolton

Winger
Thought was a good show tonight. Captured the feel of mid seventies very well. Daniel Mays took a good part , also that Toby Jones.
Small bit part from Sutcliffe in the disco was quite chilling.
Strange times , we were kids but even we were scared. I used to walk home from me mates on a night down the middle of the road so I would have a chance to escape if he jumped out on me.

Thought was a good show tonight. Captured the feel of mid seventies very well. Daniel Mays took a good part , also that Toby Jones.
Strange times , we were kids but even we were scared. I used to walk home from me mates on a night down the middle of the road so I would have a chance to escape if he jumped out on me.

Yeah was scared as a kid, when I walked home from school the quickest way took me though a very dimly lit path just before it reached some houses and it had a long hedge down one side with a few gaps in it, absolutely perfect for someone to wait in and grab someone walking past. I used to absolutely sprint along that path in the dark nights on the way home from school or football practice, it definitely got the adrenalin going. Was very relieved when they caught him, his picture freaked me out, still does. A face of pure evil.

Last edited:
Yeah was scared as a kid, when I walked home from school the quickest way took me though a very dimly lit path just before it reached some houses and it had a long hedge down one side with a few gaps in it, absolutely perfect for someone to wait in and grab someone walking past. I used to absolutely sprint along that path in the dark nights on the way home from school or football practice, it definitely got the adrenalin going. Was very relieved when they caught him, his picture freaked me out, still does. A face of pure evil.
Especially them dark nights round October November time.

I think they caught Sutcliffe in the January , everybody relaxed a bit then in the Autumn dark nights Salems Lot come on. There was hardly a break from the terror.

Kids these days , don’t know they are born.

Thanks to Wearside Jack I got interviewed by the police over this., 🤬🤬🤬

Speaking of Wearside Jack, my M-I-L headed up the DSS in Sunderland at the time.
Her team had to go through thousands upon thousands of names on application forms to check out handwriting in case they found a match ( they didn't ) since computers didn't exist.

However, she received and still has, a Christmas card from, and signed by, the entire Ripper squad - stood in front of a Christmas tree- thanking her for her efforts. Just weird!

Especially them dark nights round October November time.

I think they caught Sutcliffe in the January , everybody relaxed a bit then in the Autumn dark nights Salems Lot come on. There was hardly a break from the terror.

Kids these days , don’t know they are born.
One of my Uncles was a forensic scientist on a least one of the murders and at family gatherings some of the unreleased info on what he did was mentioned in whispers but you'd still hear. Just added to the grotesqueness of it all to young minds

Aye the wife thought it was sutcliffe in the disco. It wasn’t though, according to IMDb the bloke playing him is Oz’s son from Auf Wiedersehen Pet. Spitting dabs if you google him

Anyone been to see his house in Bradford?
Yeah, we drove past it several times as a kid with my parents, also helped my dad do a plumbing job near by in Heaton, had to walk past it to go the butty shop. Was off the main road, but always a trail of cars going around the Garden Lane (Looked that up) in the months/years after his capture. Easy access to Lumb Lane area where the prozzies were, was always told as a kid it was a no go area, strangely enough spent some of my teens down there in the West Indian and Dominican Clubs/Youth-Centre.

I remember as a student in the mid-80`s being taken on a city tour by our lecturer in my 1st week at Sheffield and being shown the place where Sutcliffe was arrested a few years earlier near the Collegiate Crescent campus.

When I clicked this thread it was beside the Only Fools and Horses thread and I thought I had clicked that and was reading a thread about an Only Fools and Horses remake.

It all checked out, Daniel Mays would make a good Rodney, I wondered what character Toby Jones was playing - probably Grandad I thought.

Imagine my surprise when you drop in a Peter Sutcliffe reference :eek:

I remember as a student in the mid-80`s being taken on a city tour by our lecturer in my 1st week at Sheffield and being shown the place where Sutcliffe was arrested a few years earlier near the Collegiate Crescent campus.
I lived in W Yorkshire as a younger gent and had a wee spell of identifying murder locations

I probably only went past 3 like. I say went past as I didn't seek them out as part of a day excursion.

I'll just add fascinating eh to this as with hindsight its a proper dull post

Back