Wyke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyke has a place in the squad. He can be really effective on a smaller pitch or when we have a lot of players in the opposition box. Mainly away games.

When there is a lot of space in behind he isn't effective at all. It's up to Jack to recognise this and play him at the right time.

Wyke has been a huge disappointment as has Grigg. Two signings that just haven't worked. From a manager who did not know the English lower leagues, both desperately poor. Grigg in particular looks completely disinterested, I doubt he has ever had a spell like this in his career, and I cannot see him ever doing anything here except leave on a free. Wyke is just a lumbering slow donkey of a player, a very poor target man with fuck all on the deck as demonstrated by his miss last night. When he was gifted the chance you just knew what he was going to do.

I think we wanted to go long ball to try and counter them dominating us.

The thing about Wyke is the best part of his game is his hold up/winning the ball but he's not even very good at that.

Not suggesting for one minute that Wyke was good tonight but when the nearest person to him when he’s trying to hold the ball up is the bloke that hoofed it 30 yards towards him, he has no chance of being effective.

He's absolutely hopeless. Think most people in the ground knew he'd miss as soon as we realised who it was running through on goal.

Other than cheap or free, did the club know much about anyone we've signed?

Not in my opinion, no. Maybe Ross isn't involved in transfers, who knows. What we do know is that he'd obviously decided he wanted to change formation and then we failed to sign the players required to play it.

Is he fuck man. He’s no world beater but he’d probably walk into half the teams in the league
If he went for a trial at a Northern League team as "A Trialist" and they didn't know who he was, he would not get signed.

There must be hundreds of centre forwards playing in the north east who would contribute more than he does, but unfortunately if you don't work your way through an Academy you don't get a look in, or once discarded by Academies, little chance of getting back in as a pro

Fletcher was fucked. hes barely done out since at sheff wed in the championship. of course he wasnt the most professional but he wasn't lazy as people have said. He was injury prone after a good start, but I think he was fucked over by Poyet continually playing him when he was knackered and he never recovered from it. In his last season he started as well as hed been playing the previous two years as well.
Fletcher has scored 4 in 7 already this season so he's not doing too bad. He just needs to stay fit.

For those of you that haven't seen this, its a canny interview with Fletcher and he mentions a few Sunderland stories:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back