Wyke

I wish we had a striker who was both big, like Wyke, but with some pace too.

To be fair to him he's not the lumbering player he looked when not fit last season. He's not fast but he covers plenty of ground at a reasonable clip. His control is better and his passing crisper. He can't however hold the ball up AND score the goals. Ross needs to address this.

Thought he really put himself about, chested the ball down to someone when the defender was all owa him and he was falling backwards, chased and never gave up, if only he could notch more goals he'd be even more of an asset in this league.

Won a header when being held by both their CBs. Nobody running off him to pick it up though

He played well but unsure how he changed the game, we were already 2-1 up. I thought overall Portsmouth were poor.
a huge problem safc have is that when the defenders clear the ball..they hoof it..and that concedes possesion to the other team and keeps us under pressure..wyke stopped that happening today because when our defenders hoofed the ballclear..he was able to either retain the possesion himself..or sufficiently pressure their defenders that they couldnt hit back at us quickly..and that meant we were under much less pressure in our own half than we have often been.he is a proper out ball..

a huge problem safc have is that when the defenders clear the ball..they hoof it..and that concedes possesion to the other team and keeps us under pressure..wyke stopped that happening today because when our defenders hoofed the ballclear..he was able to either retain the possesion himself..or sufficiently pressure their defenders that they couldnt hit back at us quickly..and that meant we were under much less pressure in our own half than we have often been.he is a proper out ball..

Pretty much this in a nutshell!

Yes agreed, he offered a different option. I wouldn't say he changed the game however. Changing the game in football terms is if you're team is drawing or getting beat and a player makes an obvious impact i.e. assisting or scoring goals to salvage a draw or win the game when it all but looked lost.

Wyke had a good game for his standards, he still needs to start by actually contributing with goals. He simply does not score enough goals and there's more pressure on the lad if Grigg is doing naff all unfortunately.

Yes agreed, he offered a different option. I wouldn't say he changed the game however. Changing the game in football terms is if you're team is drawing or getting beat and a player makes an obvious impact i.e. assisting or scoring goals to salvage a draw or win the game when it all but looked lost.

Wyke had a good game for his standards, he still needs to start by actually contributing with goals. He simply does not score enough goals and there's more pressure on the lad if Grigg is doing naff all unfortunately.
why is there more pressure on wyke because of grigg? grigg wont be starting..mcnulty will..

target men strikers often arent the main scorers in ateam..quinny was a great example of that..contributed massively when he polayed..but wasnt as prolific as skp..

at thi more humble level...wyke's role is to facilitate mcnulty scoring and mcgeady scoring..

why is there more pressure on wyke because of grigg? grigg wont be starting..mcnulty will..

target men strikers often arent the main scorers in ateam..quinny was a great example of that..contributed massively when he polayed..but wasnt as prolific as skp..

at thi more humble level...wyke's role is to facilitate mcnulty scoring and mcgeady scoring..

I disagree, he played a number of times up front by himself last season. I imagine if McNulty is injured, he'll be required to do the same. If he's not contributing with goals, we don't have many othr players that can.

For such a big lad, you'd think he'd offer more of a threat from corners and set pieces in general.

Nah mate, changing a game is stopping a set pattern of play from continuing or allowing the other team from gaining a foothold by using that as an advantage, quite simply Wyke stopped the centre halfs from running 20 yards and winning uncontested headers, may not be the greatest talent but it was absolutely effective today and he deserves credit for it!

I disagree, he played a number of times up front by himself last season. I imagine if McNulty is injured, he'll be required to do the same. If he's not contributing with goals, we don't have many othr players that can.

For such a big lad, you'd think he'd offer more of a threat from corners and set pieces in general.
imagine if wyke were injured? our out ball player would be gone..and that affects our defenders badly..

Back