WWII Bar for Sunderland

What concerns me is “on the site of the former Fagans”.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

I used to go to ‘J. Leavesley’ to get my hair cut by any one of a number of old buffers til one day going in there to find it was taken over by two young lads wearing white shirts, wide navy velvet ties and navy bell bottoms around 1976.

Roy has been cutting my hair ever since, even on odd trips home. In 2021 I had to come home at short notice for my sister’s funeral and not having had a chance to get my barnet tidied up before the trip just called up - Roy answered the phone and recognised my voice immediately even though it had been at least ten years since I’d last been in there. I said I half expected he would be retired and he laughed and said he couldn’t afford to retire. That slim handsome fella with a thatch of brown hair and a bit of a look of the swimmer David Wilkie was now short, bald with a bit of a kite but still gave me the best haircut I’ve had and can never seem to replicate no matter how many other places I go. I had a laugh reminding him of the above first experience. Amazing they had a 45 year tenure there.

Very sad to hear they’ve closed - yet another signpost of my youth consigned to annals of history but I hope Roy and Dougie are enjoying a well earned retirement!

What concerns me is “on the site of the former Fagans”.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

I used to go to ‘J. Leavesley’ to get my hair cut by any one of a number of old buffers til one day going in there to find it was taken over by two young lads wearing white shirts, wide navy velvet ties and navy bell bottoms around 1976.

Roy has been cutting my hair ever since, even on odd trips home. In 2021 I had to come home at short notice for my sister’s funeral and not having had a chance to get my barnet tidied up before the trip just called up - Roy answered the phone and recognised my voice immediately even though it had been at least ten years since I’d last been in there. I said I half expected he would be retired and he laughed and said he couldn’t afford to retire. That slim handsome fella with a thatch of brown hair and a bit of a look of the swimmer David Wilkie was now short, bald with a bit of a kite but still gave me the best haircut I’ve had and can never seem to replicate no matter how many other places I go. I had a laugh reminding him of the above first experience. Amazing they had a 45 year tenure there.

Very sad to hear they’ve closed - yet another signpost of my youth consigned to annals of history but I hope Roy and Dougie are enjoying a well earned retirement!
Did he have a bit of an afro going on back in the day

Depends how it pans out
As a theme bar, probably a bit corny.
War memorabilia- enough to be interesting, not so much that it'll be like a museum, would probably be canny

Fella went on stars in your eyes as Glenn miller, walked through the mist, no one’s seen him since
The daily Mail years ago reckoned he was beaten to death by a US soldier in a Paris brothel. Ran bits from a book that revealed all etc. Had supposed copies of his army papers which showed place of death as a US Airfield in Carolina iirc where his body was flown back to. The war effort though didn’t want that sort of stuff in the news etc.
I mean any other paper and you’d maybe give it half a think about…..
Depends how it pans out
As a theme bar, probably a bit corny.
War memorabilia- enough to be interesting, not so much that it'll be like a museum, would probably be canny
Play Escape From Colditz board game on quiet nights.

The daily Mail years ago reckoned he was beaten to death by a US soldier in a Paris brothel. Ran bits from a book that revealed all etc. Had supposed copies of his army papers which showed place of death as a US Airfield in Carolina iirc where his body was flown back to. The war effort though didn’t want that sort of stuff in the news etc.
I mean any other paper and you’d maybe give it half a think about…..

Play Escape From Colditz board game on quiet nights.
Ah for you englander ze var iz over!!!! :lol:

Back