Would you quit your job for 1 million quid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's knackered anyway. It's a shit plan. Glad you're starting to realise.

Your financially better off because you've made some sound investments by the sounds of it. That's no different to a lot of people. The shit part is expecting to live of 20% of your annual income. For most people, particularly low earners, that isn't sustainable.

I already do it and I love my lifestyle that’s the whole point mate. I never once said everyone could do it I simply said it wasn’t impossible which it isn’t.

You're right in them situations you will be better off financially. I remember when I got ran over by a bus and my first thought was 'I should never have had that lads holiday to Benidorm when I could have invested it into my retirement.

The point you don’t get is I have done and will continue to do both. I value experiences not material things that’s where I save money. Had plenty of lads holidays and will in the future

Last edited:

What if you enjoy your job? You could probably work for 5-10 years and set you and your family up for generations while living a great lifestyle.

Hang on. Are you suggesting taking the money & keeping your job as well? Am I reading that right?!

Is that what you're suggesting?

Is it?

I would have. Depends what you want out of life but I imagine if you ask someone on their deathbed who didn't pack their job in whether it was a mistake not to, they'd say it was.

I already do it and I love my lifestyle that’s the whole point mate. I never once said everyone could do it I simply said it wasn’t impossible which it isn’t.

The point you don’t get is I have done and will continue to do both. I value experiences not material things that’s where I save money. Had plenty of lads holidays and will in the future
That's like saying you could win the lottery.

I probably would for a few years. I enjoy what I am doing now. Wouldn’t fancy doing it for another 35 years though.

Where was the option to do that? You're talking about something that hasn't been (hypothetically) offered in any way. You seem to think that the thread was titled 'Would you take a million quid?'

Are you on some sort of medication?

There are some interesting points on this thread, but I’m with @AndrewP, I just can’t see how anyone can earn so little and retire so early. Living with mummy until you are nearly 30 must help like, but at 18 I could not wait to get out.

I’m not materialistic, dont go for designer gear or expensive TVs but have tended to do a few years of cheap holidays followed by a very big one. That allowed me to travel the world when younger, and I want to do the same when retired. I’ve got a house with a canny sized garden, which a decent bit has been turned over to a veg plot. I see the not travelling parts of my retirement really keeping that in good order. I enjoy it.

I could have not gone to Uni, I could have stayed with mummy for an extra 10 years, I could have never left the north east, I could have avoided more expensive hobbies like scuba, astronomy, kyaking etc, and I could have not had kids and bought a small house with no garden. I could retire in 5years from now like that. I’d have had a dull life so far and be looking forward to a dull early retirement. Sounds awful.

I’m aiming to retire at 60 (20 years to go), and do a lot more of my hobbies above. I see some people who retire, sit in the chair watching Tv or reading the paper, waiting for life to run out. My no1 life aim is for that not to be me.

I'd like to see the numbers for the caravan stuff. Without the actual figures, its hard to say.

As for houses, again, depends on the level of finish you want for renting. I'd no doubt I could sort out almost anything for under £10k, and sometimes under £2k.

I know a lad who had a caravan at a haven. Didnt really make any money on it. Over the last few years site fees rocketed so sold up as he'd be losing money.

Reactions: PTR
I would. That is more than I will earn before I retire. Whilst I don't mind going to work, I'd prefer to be with people I love, travelling, and being busy with my choice of activity rather than the enforced business of being an employee.

I would. That is more than I will earn before I retire. Whilst I don't mind going to work, I'd prefer to be with people I love, travelling, and being busy with my choice of activity rather than the enforced business of being an employee.
Yep.Do what YOU want, not what someone else wants you to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back