Would you be disappointed now if there wasn’t a takeover?

30 managers in 30 years would suggest that as a fanbase there's very very little patience around. Multiple owners across that time and yet managers kept leaving at an alarming rate. The current owners have been here 5 minutes an inherited an absolute shit show on and off the field and at the first signs of a wobble people want them gone and are baying for blood. Absolutely blown away by how many just can't see the damage that was caused by Ellis Short and 5 years in league one. It was never going to be a quick fix.

30 managers in 30 years would suggest that as a fanbase there's very very little patience around. Multiple owners across that time and yet managers kept leaving at an alarming rate. The current owners have been here 5 minutes an inherited an absolute shit show on and off the field and at the first signs of a wobble people want them gone and are baying for blood. Absolutely blown away by how many just can't see the damage that was caused by Ellis Short and 5 years in league one. It was never going to be a quick fix.
We've had 3 coaches this season due to the owner and Speakmans ineptitude , how is that the fans fault mate?

The fans haven't got rid of 30 managers. Hardly anyone has been hounded out or received abuse from the crowd apart from Beale and Bruce(at the end) really...if anything the fans have been too patient with some of the managers.
We've had 3 coaches this season due to the owner and Speakmans ineptitude , how is that the fans fault mate?
Read my mind :lol:

I haven't said there haven't been mistakes made this season. That being said, Beale was done before he walked through the door with the fans. He's probably the only manager I've ever seen since i've been going who the fans refused to give a chance to even if it wasn't a popular appointment. We've always given anyone a fair crack but he was never going to succeed here.

True that. When McMennemy waved his white hanky I shouted at people to leave him alone.

The fans haven't got rid of 30 managers. Hardly anyone has been hounded out or received abuse from the crowd apart from Beale and Bruce(at the end) really...if anything the fans have been too patient with some of the managers.

Read my mind :lol:
What i'm saying is, do you think it's just coincidence over 30 years that no matter who owns the club managers don't last 5 minutes?

I’d be disappointed, what was allowed to happen for the mags game I just can’t forgive. To then admit that it was wrong & do nothing about it compounds it. Also Speakman & the model with managers having very little say on incomings just isn’t going to work imo.

That's come from rank bad leadership from the top and the managers simply not being good enough mate, nowt to do with the fans.
To be fair mate, in recent memory, there were fans who wanted Mowbray gone as they didn't feel he could get the job done to take us up. Beale well we don't need to go into that one. People wanted Lee Johnson gone whilst we were sat top after beating Sheffield Wednesday 5-0 at home. There are an element of our fanbase who call for any managers head after a successive run of defeats. Some clubs bow to the pressure of it and some don't. As an example, I firmly believe if Michael Carrick was manager of Sunderland and went on the run he did he'd have been sacked by now but Boro have stuck with him through bad runs and they're having a season (up until 3 weeks ago) as bad as ours. I distinctly remember Alex Neil referencing the negativity at SAFC numerous times to the point he actually laughed at a journalists question about fans criticism. We, in my opinion, do have a very impatient fanbase.
I’d be disappointed, what was allowed to happen for the mags game I just can’t forgive. To then admit that it was wrong & do nothing about it compounds it. Also Speakman & the model with managers having very little say on incomings just isn’t going to work imo.
Stoke have given every manager for 6 years full control over incomings (including Alex Neil) and they're in a very real relegation battle. You can argue that doesn't always work either.

Last edited:
To be fair mate, in recent memory, there were fans who wanted Mowbray gone as they didn't feel he could get the job done to take us up. Beale well we don't need to go into that one. People wanted Lee Johnson gone whilst we were sat top after beating Sheffield Wednesday 5-0 at home. There are an element of our fanbase who call for any managers head after a successive run of defeats. Some clubs bow to the pressure of it and some don't. As an example, I firmly believe if Michael Carrick was manager of Sunderland and went on the run he did he'd have been sacked by now but Boro have stuck with him through bad runs and they're having a season (up until 3 weeks ago) as bad as ours. I distinctly remember Alex Neil referencing the negativity at SAFC numerous times to the point he actually laughed at a journalists question about fans criticism. We, in my opinion, do have a very impatient fanbase.
You're talking about a few on social media...not disgruntled fans at the match shouting for managers to be sacked. You won't get everyone singing from the same hymn sheet on social media..it simply wasn't around 30 yrs ago so you wouldn't know how fans were feeling, just those who you would stand around with at games was how you used to get people's opinions. It's a totally different era now. But, like i said, only Beale and Bruce are the ones who have taken stick from a matchday crowd really and demanded they were sacked.

You're talking about a few on social media...not disgruntled fans at the match shouting for managers to be sacked. You won't get everyone singing from the same hymn sheet on social media..it simply wasn't around 30 yrs ago so you wouldn't know how fans were feeling, just those who you would stand around with at games was how you used to get people's opinions. It's a totally different era now. But, like i said, only Beale and Bruce are the ones who have taken stick from a matchday crowd really and demanded they were sacked.
Aye, to be fair a good point. It's why I don't get how people take this place so seriously as well really. I think there's some great posters like yourself, @Hongkongphooey and others who I just don't see things the same way as at the moment but that's fine. There are some people who take it too far and just embarass themselves but by and large it's the point of a message board to share and discuss your opinions.

Very true, but I do like the idea of a board WITH a local or Sunderland person. Someone like Niall Quinn would be a perfect example of different money men alongside him.
There is one thing for sure, the BCB fiasco would never have happened under his watch. I do believe the boardroom needs a Sunderland connection. Bob Murray had several local businessmen on his boardroom.
Wasn't Leo Pearlman appointed in a non executive role?

Even known I get your point, barely anyone, bar a few on here, wanted Mowbray sacked so that was completely on Speakman and co. Most the other managers in the past 15 year, in particular, deserved the sack - who deserved longer...?

I haven't said there haven't been mistakes made this season. That being said, Beale was done before he walked through the door with the fans. He's probably the only manager I've ever seen since i've been going who the fans refused to give a chance to even if it wasn't a popular appointment. We've always given anyone a fair crack but he was never going to succeed here.
The fans didn't hound him out, him throwing everyone under the bus did that, oh and his burner account slagging off the club didn't help him. The coach situation is all on the owner and Speakman, remember sacking Mowbray and saying we are moving to the next level, remember the press conference with Beale and Speakman, how can you blame the fans?

As many have said before, KLD bought into the club to make a profit over time (5 year plan and all that).

Sadly, KLD's plan for sustainability is mirroring governments' drives for sustainable energy. Both goals might be highly laudable, but they require ongoing investment to get achieve nirvana, and it costs more than they think! The mistake made by governments (well at least the one here in Oz!), seems to be thinking that renewables are here now and can take the load, so they've gone "let's shut down existing energy sources and hope for the best". KLD's mistake is thinking that young players are immediately good enough for the first team and can take the load, so he got rid of the older heads who provided necessary experience.

Hopefully, both will achieve their goals in the longer-term, but for now we still need existing fuel sources while renewables are developed properly, and SAFC needs players with experience to lead the younger ones as they develop.

Failure to recognise this at SAFC will lead back to League 1 and KLD's investment will look pretty sick, so we must hope that he, his family and advisors have enough business sense to change their modus operandi.

The fans didn't hound him out, him throwing everyone under the bus did that, oh and his burner account slagging off the club didn't help him. The coach situation is all on the owner and Speakman, remember sacking Mowbray and saying we are moving to the next level, remember the press conference with Beale and Speakman, how can you blame the fans?
You honestly don't reckon the fans had anything to do with Beale not workng out here mate?

Aye, to be fair a good point. It's why I don't get how people take this place so seriously as well really. I think there's some great posters like yourself, @Hongkongphooey and others who I just don't see things the same way as at the moment but that's fine. There are some people who take it too far and just embarass themselves but by and large it's the point of a message board to share and discuss your opinions.
Bang on mate. That's why i have can have discussions and bit banter with you..as it doesn't get personal, even though we have differing opinions on the way things are ran. 👍👍

Even known I get your point, barely anyone, bar a few on here, wanted Mowbray sacked so that was completely on Speakman and co. Most the other managers in the past 15 year, in particular, deserved the sack - who deserved longer...?
I would like to see us employ a coach and stick with that coach through a bad run of results. Nearly every manager has gone when hitting a dowturn in form. I would've given Keane longer as an example that ended too soon in my opinion.
Bang on mate. That's why i have can have discussions and bit banter with you..as it doesn't get personal, even though we have differing opinions on the way things are ran. 👍👍
It's how it should be mate. Some people on here are just incapable of it though and begin throwing insults around as soon as someone disagrees with them. We all ultimately want the same thing we just see getting there a bit differently.

Back