Would you be disappointed now if there wasn’t a takeover?

This isn’t football manager mate, like I’ve said on several threads on here, we’re not the massive pull that many of our fans think we are. Players simply won’t drop everything just to come to Sunderland. Geography also plays a part.

I’ve also said we sacked Mowbray at completely the wrong time, should’ve moved in the summer for some of our targets. Instead I believe fan pressure made the club extend his contract and when he got found out left us in a right pickle with our previous targets unavailable.

I agree with that. Mowbray should have been let go the previous summer.

Considering the current owership is the best we've had out of the last 3, there's clearly every chance that the next one could be worse.

Changes rarely seem to be for the better ime.
It all depends on who the incumbent decides to sell the club to. They’re to blame if the next owner is cack, but when they want to sell I suppose that the financial deal has priority.

If I was desperate to sell our house and a psychopathic traveller offered the selling price, should I have consideration for my neighbours or my bank balance?

Oh I agree. But prudent, sensible financial management isn’t met with delight by fans!

All it takes is two poor windows after a few sizeable sales and the masses are screaming for boom and bust!
Most fans here know if we did fluke going up we wouldn’t be punting multi millions on the overpriced shit we have primarily bought in the past. But then most would expect a team to at least have a go despite the lack of quality

We now find ourselves 3 years into the 5 year plan of being promoted, a squad rammed with low level quality and not much fight, with the odd decent player, and the distinct possibility that next season, a mid table finish is as good as it’s gonna get, even since Clark has been absent it’s plain to see we are a pretty poor squad elevated by his great season
It all depends on who the incumbent decides to sell the club to. They’re to blame if the next owner is cack, but when they want to sell I suppose that the financial deal has priority.

If I was desperate to sell our house and a psychopathic traveller offered the selling price, should I have consideration for my neighbours or my bank balance?
Bank balance all the way when we get sold, there’s no real attachment to the club, it’s purely a money making venture for the hierarchy as seen by the bcb debacle. Cash trumps everything else

Last edited:
In the Championship we can “lose” £5m over a three year period. That can be extended to £13m with owner reliant investment.

We lose money every month. We are closer to FFP than anyone would like to admit.

Capital investment isn’t a part of P&SC so that may help with stadium improvements.

But football wise I would aim a guess that we are breaching FFP - and a sizeable amount of transfer fee income will be needed to rectify that.
It’s £15m over a three year period, I believe? So £5m a year.

I think we’re closer to that than some people think. The next set of accounts will be an interesting read.

Edit: according to this it’s up to £13m per season if the owner injects the loss into the club as capital.

Edit again: that’s for the 2016/17 so probably well out of date, if so I’m an idiot.

Last edited:
I’m not anti KLD I just think he needs to change the model or sell up.

If he stayed and revised the recruitment model to make us competitive I’d be happy.
I’m reserving judgement until the summer window closes. We could see the severe lack of experience at the weekend but there’s two factors that need to be taken into consideration. Nobody could’ve predicted what would happen to our better / more experienced players this year. We don’t know what the threshold is between bringing in experience vs plunging the club back into dept.

I’m by no means excusing some of the mistake they’ve made but they deserve a chance to show us where they are taking the squad in the summer window.

Not expecting him to sell but still dissapointed. He's shown his colours and anybody who thinks he's turned over a new leaf by fixing the stadium up, I'm afraid you're very gullible. This is only happening because he's feeling the heat and what a surprise it gets announced as the renewal packs come out.

Not good enough.

I’m reserving judgement until the summer window closes. We could see the severe lack of experience at the weekend but there’s two factors that need to be taken into consideration. Nobody could’ve predicted what would happen to our better / more experienced players this year. We don’t know what the threshold is between bringing in experience vs plunging the club back into dept.

I’m by no means excusing some of the mistake they’ve made but they deserve a chance to show us where they are taking the squad in the summer window.
They’ve surely got to see there’s a balance to be struck between buying experienced players and absolutely raw kids.

Oh and first and foremost buy a couple of competent forwards.

I’m not anti KLD I just think he needs to change the model or sell up.

If he stayed and revised the recruitment model to make us competitive I’d be happy.
And sack someone over the BCB humiliation at the very least.

Whoever at SAFC advised him that was a good idea should have been sacked long ago.

No, I’m not against KLD yet but he’s got a huge summer ahead of him.

I’m wobbling with Speakman though. 2022 Windows were good although the last 3 have been poor. Maybe some of those players will come good in time, but too many weren’t what we needed right now, then squad balance still not right and this season has been a shocker. I won’t even mention the head coach situation.

So which part of Sunderland does he live?

Even Bob Murray never lived in any part of Sunderland. If you want to narrow any potential buyer down to a post code you might well struggle.
No, I’m not against KLD yet but he’s got a huge summer ahead of him.

I’m wobbling with Speakman though. 2022 Windows were good although the last 3 have been poor. Maybe some of those players will come good in time, but too many weren’t what we needed right now, then squad balance still not right and this season has been a shocker. I won’t even mention the head coach situation.

I don’t think even this season has been that bad. We overachieved last season so anything we did this year was going to look as a regression but particularly early season if you look at the stats graphs for shots for/against we were actually doing well under TM. For some reason once we drew the scum in the FA Cup everything turned to shit afterwards.

So in general judging KLD/Speakman over 3 years I think they have done good.
Judging them off the last 4 months, they have been terrible.

Last edited:
There's a peculiar mindset that thinks all we need to do is whistle and players will come running, just because we're Sunderland. Possibly because the fans that think that way would. Sadly, real life isn't like that, and we probably get knocked back a lot.

There’s an even more peculiar mindset that when even decidedly average players pull on the red and white or average managers take the reins they automatically become ‘really talented’ or ‘the next Colin Todd’

Last edited:
No I am trying to point that that the statement "a board of local billionaires" is a ridiculous statement.

Very true, but I do like the idea of a board WITH a local or Sunderland person. Someone like Niall Quinn would be a perfect example of different money men alongside him.
There is one thing for sure, the BCB fiasco would never have happened under his watch. I do believe the boardroom needs a Sunderland connection. Bob Murray had several local businessmen on his boardroom.

With all the rumours going around etc? Have people decided it’s time for a change? I think personally the club can’t afford another summer/ transfer window like the last 2 or 3. If KLD is to stay I think he needs to change the model / transfer policy and publicly come out and say that. There’s so much negativity around the club. The way it’s going it just feels like we are just waiting to be relegated next season with the current set up and squad. We need some positive news one way or the other.
No. Plenty worse owners out there… Reading, Swindon, Sheff Wed, Mags…

No disappointment here, but change doesn't always have to be abortive. I'd rather the current lot took their medicine and got their shit together. An introspective end of season post mortem starting with an admission of what a clusterfuck they've created would be a canny start. I'm more open to reconciliation that trusting another Billy bullshitter coming in with a 'champions league in 5 years' plan. No appetite for it personally.

Back