Worst Tactical Decision from a Sunderland Manager/Head Coach

We started the game with a midfield three of Leadbitter, Cattermole, and Power, with Honeyman operating on the right side of the front three. I think that middle 3 is good enough to control the game, with Leadbitter and Cattermole's technical ability and Power's running. He gets a bad press on here Max Power, but he was a solid League 1 player really - decent engine, bit of bite, had a shot on him, and could pass well enough when he wasn't having delusions of Stevie G grandeur.

When we lost Power we lost our legs in midfield. Honeyman will buzz about all day, but without actually doing anything. He moves into midfield, Lewis Morgan goes wide right, and our gameplan goes to pot.

I'd be inclined to agree here. I always felt Sam was more bothered about not losing that game than winning it.

Mind you, I'm not convinced Khazri would have tracked back any better. He was a lazy get after all. Not his game at all.

That Serb was destined to score that like. Bastards.
If Khazri had ever shown an aptitude for tracking back he’d have been playing football at a higher standard than SAFC.

At least Gray was a winger

Reid played Phillips a few times right wing which was mental. Best striker the club had in decades and put him on the wing 😂

Down to 9 players in the first 10 minutes! Byrne and Armstrong sent off. Held on until 80 odd minutes as well until they scored late on

I thought your timings were all out there but you are correct

Red cards in 6th and 7th minute. Lost 0-1 to an 82nd minute goal!
Was the other end...😬
It was 33 years ago mind..😂

Wolve’s ground was so weird for those couple of years in the 90s when they rebuilt it. Basically had 1.5 stands close to the pitch and then another one about 50 metres away
I thought your timings were all out there but you are correct

Red cards in 6th and 7th minute. Lost 0-1 to an 82nd minute goal!

Wolve’s ground was so weird for those couple of years in the 90s when they rebuilt it. Basically had 1.5 stands close to the pitch and then another one about 50 metres away
*wolves’

Last edited:
Was the other end...😬
It was 33 years ago mind..😂
Actually in that case I was in the other end because I can remember ( I know) absolutely that the kick off was booted away from me 2nd half. It was such I strange kick off given the circumstances that it has stuck with me, could never understand why they didn't try to keep the ball at least for a minute or 2 obviously under orders

Saw this on Twitter and thought about so many tactical errors from Sunderland managers.

Shout-out for Martin O'Neill at home to Norwich City, where he changed from a 4-4-2 to a 4-4-1-1 then went back to a 4-4-2 against 10 men too.

Took Graham off for McClean to put Sess in the 10 then brought Wickham on 5 mins later for Johnson and put Sess back out wide. Madness.
Did you take notes at that game?

Gillingham away under Parkinson with a back 5 of McLaughlin, Willis, Ozturk, Flanagan, De Bock complimented by a pacey midfield trio of Leadbitter, Dobson and O'Nien supplying Grigg and McNulty up front. Whilst McGeady, Maguire and Watmore warmed the bench then ate McDonald's.

McCarthy playing 532 away to Arsenal with Stubbs, Caldwell and Collins in defence, Nosworthy and Daryl Murphy as wing backs and Gary Breen in midfield alongside Whitehead and Robinson. We lost 3-1.

Also McCarthy in the promotion season at home to West Ham - replacing the suspended Julio Arca by pushing George McCartney up to left wing with Danny Collins at left back.

Moyes signing Paddy McNair as a midfielder when he'd only ever played at centre back for Man United, but instead of actually playing him there when we had an injury crisis in midfield - or even playing 3 at the back - he elected to play a knackered John O'Shea as a holding midfielder for the opening game vs Man City with Donald Love at right back up against David Silva. Then brought McNair on at centre back for him to score a late own goal.

Saw this on Twitter and thought about so many tactical errors from Sunderland managers.

Shout-out for Martin O'Neill at home to Norwich City, where he changed from a 4-4-2 to a 4-4-1-1 then went back to a 4-4-2 against 10 men too.

Took Graham off for McClean to put Sess in the 10 then brought Wickham on 5 mins later for Johnson and put Sess back out wide. Madness.
Tony Mowbray in the second leg against Luton is the worst I have seen in a long time. Love the bloke, but he got it completely wrong that night. Luton did not win, we lost it.

Peter Reid v West Ham in FA cup having our defensive line pushed up to almost half way yet not pressing West Ham in possession. They had a field day knocking the ball into the 35 yards of space behind our back 4. Apologies in advance for daring to mention Reid in this thread.

Back