Worst Sacking of a Manager at Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haven't got round to watching Series 2 yet but from some of the journo reviews I read a couple of weeks back it sounds as though Methven had serious concerns about Ross from as early as March. Methven was also pretty scathing of his style of football on the RR podcast after the play-offs as well.
That’s correct.
Plenty of comments about being unable to defend a 1-0 lead and how they were expecting a change of tactics at half time, which we know never happened.
I’ll not spoil it, by commenting further

I’m not disputing that. I’m just saying the board gave up all the power the second they let the players call the shots

Back the manager that you’ve employed to do a job , he implemented change that the players didn’t like , they come upstairs and knock on your door , that was the time to tell them to get stuffed.

Our current position can be traced back to that day in my opinion.

Come on then clever shite, enlighten me, which manager was sacked in the face of clear opposition from the fans?
You are quite entitled yo your opinion as I am mine. I'm merely asking you for evidence of your sweeping statement. The 'clear opposition' comprised what, for example? It's always the keyboard warriors on here or the likes of the fanzines who decide what the fans think. They don't represent me or any of the fans I know personally, having never, ever inquired as to our opinions.

Harsh to sack smith. Thought he deserved more time (and money). Harsh to sack Crosby. Didn't back him, and obviously the pools panel verdict sacking just about summed up what bob thought of him.

But for me Reidy. Hindsight is 20 20 vision etc... but we had just given him a load of money that he spent, we weren't in a bad position... 15th ish, had had a mixed bag start, but there were signs of promise. Man u draw. Beat villa. Was his last game at highbury? Hardly expecting a win? Think we'd put 7 past cambridge in the cup the week before.

The fans had turned apparently, but I remember it being split. Think bob buckled under the pressure. He obviously had no plan in place...

Durban all day long for me
We had a great squad and we were playing some beautiful football
Cowie sacked him and replaced him with Len f***ing Ashurst
The beginning of the end of our club as a serious contender in my opinion

Martin O’Neill, I would have liked him to have more time to get things going. We only went backwards after he left.

He and Knighton were the first I thought of, if Dennis Smith hadn't thrown Viv under the bus he might have also been a candidate, one choice? it's Billy Elliot for me.

Billy Elliott was given the job to the end of the season. He was told that he would not go past that and accepted it on those conditions. They had someone lined up to come in then - he could/would not leave his existing club until the end of the season. He changed his mind or had it changed for him.

O'Neill wasnt hounded out and nor was Keane, di Cano was still so popular when he was sacked that the bloke shouting at him at west brom had to go to the newspapers to deny he was calling him a cu'nt because he was taking so much abuse. Allardyce...

Aside from that though yeah, the fans have been on their backs due to their continued inability to raise us out of our sustained mediocrity.

I was in the press conference after the cup defeat by Bolton in Jan 2013. Martin O'Neill was totally gutted and looked a broken man that night. I'm surprised he managed to last until March before being given the long walk off the short pier.

Liked Gus me like. :(
I think everyone liked him. He was obviously trying to introduce a new mentality. Possession and defensive shape. We were fantastic for a spell, and kind really was pulling the strings.

So horrible to see it unravel. We had had a lot of draws that season... but we had started to play some dreadful stuff. Southampton, villa at home, QPR with that Zamora lad. Absolutely Sunday league pub standards.

I think everyone liked him. He was obviously trying to introduce a new mentality. Possession and defensive shape. We were fantastic for a spell, and kind really was pulling the strings.

So horrible to see it unravel. We had had a lot of draws that season... but we had started to play some dreadful stuff. Southampton, villa at home, QPR with that Zamora lad. Absolutely Sunday league pub standards.
It was as if the Southampton away drubbing ruined him. Some of the football we played under Poyet was the best i have seen us ever play.

Durban was sacked too early, If Smith had been given money in Div 1, he'd have been here years longer, imo, but not keeping Elliott was insane.

You are quite entitled yo your opinion as I am mine. I'm merely asking you for evidence of your sweeping statement. The 'clear opposition' comprised what, for example? It's always the keyboard warriors on here or the likes of the fanzines who decide what the fans think. They don't represent me or any of the fans I know personally, having never, ever inquired as to our opinions.

Generally speaking the clear opposition included falling attendances, booing at matches and negative comments from multiple sources including journalists, fans and pundits.

Of course, because no one came and knocked at your door and asked for your personal opinion, that is clearly not a representative sample from your naive viewpoint.

Oh and the irony of you talking about keyboard warriors isn’t lost on me when you start a debate in the way you did? Don’t think you’d have that crack if you were sat next to me in the pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back