Worst books you've ever read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspired by the other book thread, sometimes people call a highly rated or classic book the worst they've ever read. This is often because it is just overrated in their view or because they studied it at school taking all the life out of it.

But what are the actual worst books you've read? The ones that were properly shite not just the ones that you didn't get on with.

Nominations from me:

Deception Point by Dan Brown
The Working Man's Guide to the Galaxy by Richard Head
To Hell In A Handcart by Richard Littlejohn
Hide and Seek by James Patterson

Inspired by the other book thread, sometimes people call a highly rated or classic book the worst they've ever read. This is often because it is just overrated in their view or because they studied it at school taking all the life out of it.

But what are the actual worst books you've read? The ones that were properly shite not just the ones that you didn't get on with.

Nominations from me:

Deception Point by Dan Brown
The Working Man's Guide to the Galaxy by Richard Head
To Hell In A Handcart by Richard Littlejohn
Hide and Seek by James Patterson

James Patterson books are bloody awful - and he sells millions.

No contest here.
One Hit Wonderland by Tony Hawks. Utter drivel and sacked it about half way through.

Not read it but I have read a couple of his other books and enjoyed them.

Trying to think what I'd rate amongst the worst I've read other than things I've got a bout 2 pages in and thought "That's unreadable.".

Meg by Steve Alten, didn't bother finishing it.

As for "classics", I absolutely hated Women In Love, easily the most boring pile of shite I've ever read.

Not read it but I have read a couple of his other books and enjoyed them.

Trying to think what I'd rate amongst the worst I've read other than things I've got a bout 2 pages in and thought "That's unreadable.".
It felt like someone trying to stretch a chapter into a book.

Ulysses - I found it unreadable but I know I may be in the minority.

I read a lot of contemporary crime and some are really badly written. However, I tend to chuck them to one side rather than persevere.

Hmm, same here.
I'd love to get it.
A bit like jazz, modern art and Trout Mask Replica:)
Contemporary jazz can sod off. I've listened to enough drum solos to last me a lifetime. Modern art - it's just the pretentious 'installations' with 5 pages of notes to describe what you're seeing that gets me. I'm fine with a lot of it. I used to programme a gallery and the amount of times someone wrote their 5yr old could do better... :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back