Worst books you've ever read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie and The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen are the worst well regarded books that I've read or attempted to read. They are enjoyed by posters on here whose opinion I respect but I think they are a giant steaming pile of turd.

As for the actual worst books, I have a slight unfair advantage in that I occasionally seek out work of writers who mix in writing circles and come across as a bit odd. I have read some dreadful stuff but it would be unkind to name them as a lot seem to almost be a form of therapy.

There's usually an easy way to spot them. They will have a title that is so obscure it may as well be written in Latin. They will try and write in a style that isn't natural to them but 'breaks all the rules', whether it be no punctuation or paragraphs or giving all the characters the same names etc. There appears to be a desperation to appear more intelligent than they are. (I was once asked in all seriousness how many long words I put in my books to make me sound intelligent:lol:).
They will have sold next to no copies and have two reviews, one written by the author and a one star review from someone who bought it by accident.
These ones are usually self published but of the traditionally published ones, there was on years ago by a former bodyguard for Oasis. It was the dull fair you would expect but he went off piste at one stage and did a druggy chapter with words going in the wrong direction etc. It was painful stuff.:lol:

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

its award winning and came highly recommended, i persevered to about the half way point and just tutted at it, closed it, and gave it back. total waste of time

Contemporary jazz can sod off. I've listened to enough drum solos to last me a lifetime. Modern art - it's just the pretentious 'installations' with 5 pages of notes to describe what you're seeing that gets me. I'm fine with a lot of it. I used to programme a gallery and the amount of times someone wrote their 5yr old could do better... :mad:
I did some work with the Northern Gallery for Contemporary Art a couple of years back and they had an exhibition which was the reviews from visitors to other exhibitions. It was quite amusing.

Currently reading Soldier Spy, only 50 pages in but I can tell I'm going to hate it. I already hate the author.

He's clearly a Walter Mitty type, an egomaniac and judging by the way he's bigging himself up so far he reckons he's the greatest spy the world has ever seen.

One hilarious example was where he joined the Army at 15 as an apprentice in the Royal Engineers, turned out he was shit at that and was sent to train as a PT instructor instead. He then failed his CO for cheating on sit-ups in the bi-annual PT test and was subsequently given a bottle of champagne by the CO at Christmas whilst said CO told the rest of them men he has "the biggest bollocks" of anyone he's encountered. Somehow that got him a call up to "Special Operations"... I've already concluded the man is a total cock.

I'm going to finish it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you enjoy cliché action-man type fiction, full of contradictory passages and which is also very poorly written.

Just waiting to see if he claims he was the second man on the balcony at the embassy siege.

Ulysses - I found it unreadable but I know I may be in the minority.

I read a lot of contemporary crime and some are really badly written. However, I tend to chuck them to one side rather than persevere.

Never got passed the first chapter tried hundreds of times. This one won't beat me. (unless I die before I'm 80. then it might)

Crime and Punishment was hard going got there in the end.

London Fields by Martin Amis. I usually see books through to the bitter end but this was complete and utter garbage

I did some work with the Northern Gallery for Contemporary Art a couple of years back and they had an exhibition which was the reviews from visitors to other exhibitions. It was quite amusing.
I can believe it. A lot of the time I ended up tippexing 'shite' out, sometimes A4 page size, until I realised that basically all I'd done was produce 'shite' in tippex. :D I had to as people complained about the language and it was a council building. What also amazed me was how angry people were about it all as if the artists were getting paid hundreds to produce said 'shite' (£250 arts Council grant in my day.)

A lot of the time the comments slagged off staff too - especially the Mr Bean lookalike in the reference section. :lol:

Never got passed the first chapter tried hundreds of times. This one won't beat me. (unless I die before I'm 80. then it might)

Crime and Punishment was hard going got there in the end.
I didn't get past half way with Ulysses. Basically just read the last page with Molly Bloom's 'yes' soliloquy as that seems to be the bit everyone goes on about.
Please don't tell me that's a spoiler. :lol:

Slugs by Shaun Hutson. Easy target maybe, but my god some of the prose made Garth Marenghi sound like Poe.

Tried to read something by him years ago. It was as if a Sun reporter was writing the fucker.

Another one was Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Could only read a page or two at a time so consequently by the end I had no idea what was going on cos I couldn't remember or follow the story. Really wanted to like it but just too hard going for my stupid brain.

Had to watch the tv series then the recent movie :oops:

Hmm, is that the one where there is a conspiracy that could have far reaching consequences for humanity and it turns out someone close to the protagonist is behind it?

Logon or register to see this image

I seem to be in the minority on here in rating David Mitchell as an author.

Oh, don't get me started on f***ing Cloud Atlas. Total shite. It's worse than the Emperor's New Clothes, it's the Emperor's New Colostomy Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back