Worst accent in the UK?

I love regional accents, part of your identity. I can’t stand the non descriptive vague middle class accent of the South east, where you could easily be from Wimbledon as from Watford!

To answer OP, I love the Wigan/Bolton accent

I love regional accents, part of your identity. I can’t stand the non descriptive vague middle class accent of the South east, where you could easily be from Wimbledon as from Watford!

To answer OP, I love the Wigan/Bolton accent

Agree.
I honestly don't think there's a 'bad' or 'worst' accent - I quite like all the variations of our language.
Even the Geordie/Mackem accent doesn't sound THAT bad ;)

So do some North Eat accents. Laurie McMenemy for example.
I love the majority of the north east accents, there is something beautiful about them. I wish I could remember my grandparents accents ( I remember their faces but not their voices ) maybe their accents are deeply ingrained in my brain, hence my now love of the sunderland accent.

Hartleperl
Funny how certain things stick in your mind. I was in HMV in Salisbury in the mid 1980s. Having a browse when a young foreign couple come in. Clearly they want to learn English words so ask one of the lasses in there what this is, pointing to a cassette tape. The lass replies “Its called a terp”. They try repeating it and she reinforced it by saying “yes, terp.”
For years afterwards there was probably a foreign couple walking around record stores in the UK confusing assistants by asking questions like “How much is ze terp”
I reckon the lass came from Hartlepool.

Back