Working your notice...

....it's a weird time being at work once you have handed in your notice.

I was supposed to be at a networking meeting later in the week, ok, so it's just a bit of drinking coffee with others, having a nice lunch and an early finish, but they've said I don't need to go. Sour grapes if you ask me.

I was very willing to advise them how to move forward, help with recruitment and assist with a handover period, I even considered staying a couple of extra weeks to enable this to happen, but after this, I'll get out the door asap, let them sort stuff out, oh, and I'll be using up my remaining holidays.

I was supposed to be at a networking meeting later in the week, ok, so it's just a bit of drinking coffee with others, having a nice lunch and an early finish, but they've said I don't need to go. Sour grapes if you ask me.

I was very willing to advise them how to move forward, help with recruitment and assist with a handover period, I even considered staying a couple of extra weeks to enable this to happen, but after this, I'll get out the door asap, let them sort stuff out, oh, and I'll be using up my remaining holidays.
We just pay people there 2 weeks and send them home. We can’t risk injury or sabotage

No need to take it personally. I doubt any company would want an employee that is leaving to attend that sort of event. They are doing you a favour anyway, those corporate events where you have to be all fake nicey to people you deal with professionally are my idea of hell.

Even weirder when you retire so you don't care about references or burning your bridges. Strong urge to cause trouble but too busy grinning to bother.
I worked at a place before where one of the older lads was retiring just before Christmas. The MD came down and spoke to him, then gave him the “well if you fancy coming back part time in the summer” chat. Was embarrassing for him

At my last job at Asda, I'd lost my cleaning job, and was shunted into their in house bakery (which I hated, so I handed in my notice and worked my two weeks notice.
It was a strange feeling, - a mix of sadness, that I was leaving behind my colleagues who had become good mates, in the two years I was there, and a feeling of looking forward to moving to pastures new (Morrisons, just two minutes from Asda) and getting to meet and work with a new group of colleagues.

I'm enjoying my work again as housekeeper/cleaner at Morrisons, and I really enjoy working alongside some smashing people.

I’ve just done my 12 weeks, they did everything in their power to make my time a misery
I found this as well. My immediate boss and the one above him, who had previously been my boss never spoke to me for the 12 weeks, even caught one of them doing a massive about turn to avoid me one day :rolleyes:
I was just trying to be really fair and leave on a positive note. They were even pissed off that I didn't inform them I had applied for another job without telling them!
No point mate. I tried to do the right thing but in hindsight should have just rang up and told them I was leaving and wouldn't be back. A bit different for me as I was just packing in work altogether, but the 12 weeks were stressful.

3 months notice?
What line of work requires 3 months notice?
Lots of jobs do.
Every role I've worked on PAYE in last 20 years have wanted 3 months.
It was fun, when I was contracting, giving 1 week notice a couple of times though.

I'm currently on 3 months notice but, I'm giving them 5 months notice as I respect them and want to ensure a good handover to my replacement.

Lots of jobs do.
Every role I've worked on PAYE in last 20 years have wanted 3 months.
It was fun, when I was contracting, giving 1 week notice a couple of times though.

I'm currently on 3 months notice but, I'm giving them 5 months notice as I respect them and want to ensure a good handover to my replacement.
I am obviously way out of touch. Been contracting so long. As you say 1 week then gone.

Go on the sick if it’s full pay

3 months notice?
What line of work requires 3 months notice?

M&E design engineer. I was an AD though. Juniors, Intermediates and seniors are all 4 weeks.

I used to be a contractor, those were the good old days though. 1 week notice as you say, into a new project the following week

Back