Working With Family

🤣🤣 Built an extension on the back of a boat down there a couple weeks back, was baltic.
During the recent cold snap we had last week, I seen a few people walking around the marina, in tee shirt & shorts - The temperature felt like it was -7°C, not helped by an icy wind blowing in off the sea, yet they seemed totally immune to the Baltic weather. 🫣

During the recent cold snap we had last week, I seen a few people walking around the marina, in tee shirt & shorts - The temperature felt like it was -7°C, not helped by an icy wind blowing in off the sea, yet they seemed totally immune to the Baltic weather. 🫣
I prefer to work in shorts, 1st day had shorts on needless to say it was jeans after that 🤣🤣

Morning all,

Whats peoples take on this ? I feel as though it could be a good thing but can be equally a disaster.

I have fathers and sons work for me and generally it’s a success. There has been times where the fathas have been a bit hard on the boys out of frustration more than anything else , and they certainly would have not spoke to a run of the mill lad like they’ve spoke to their son, other side of the coin sons have been sheltered massively and kept under their fathas wings for decades.All and all, once the lads have grasped what they should be doing it’s been great.

From my families point of view people are shocked when they find out my son has nothing to do with the business “ is he mad ‘ is the general feedback I get. I’ve offered him a lot of money to come on board but he’s his own man and he enjoys his own career path which I’ve always encouraged with my kids.
Our lass is Head of Accounts and Finace And my P.A Which I’ve got to have, as the figures at times are eye watering. Someone could be skimming thousands off me and i wouldn’t have a clue until it was too late. I wouldn’t like to be physically working with her, as that would be crap.
Even though she’s keeping an eye on the money and sorting wages, tax etc she hasn’t much of a clue what goes on day to day and she knows not to ask, I like to come in on a tea time and switch off completely.

Ive employed family before to work onsite , thought they could toss it off and when I’ve sacked them it was a nightmare. Never again.

I’ve got a mate who’s life ambition was to get a job with their lass as a Porter at the General, he eventually managed to do that. Absolutely loves it. Imagine that man , ffs :lol:

What’s others experience of working with family and would you like to do it ?
I get the sheltered thing, there's a father and son subbing where we do, the sons still hopeless, 35, the father 68, still climbing around roofs cos he knows the sons fucked when he finally hangs up the pouch.
There's an apprentice (actually out his time gone sept) who's the biggest waste of space, doesn't want to know, can't be left to do a single job, still has no tools apart from the basics supplied 3 years ago, his uncle got him the apprenticeship as he'd been there years and is decent, gets loads of shite now, and the contract manager won't do it again as that little berk has blew it, and prevented another youngun a chance of a trade....

I'd take my son on when he's old enough, if he wanted to (although is hope he chooses an easier way to make a better living)....
But once he was time served he'd be going alone

Never really done it but I’d imagine it could sometimes be awkward. I had a mate working with me the other week and I found being in his company all day very annoying (he probably thought the same)

A lot of family businesses involve open warfare between siblings and cousins, and a lot of static whenever one generation hands over to the next. I'd love to work with my kids in a business they had set up themselves though.
I sometimes do a few hours help in my daughters business which I did a lot of work to set up. Don't mind occasionally but she's a twisty little bugger and it's far from wine and roses

Morning all,

Whats peoples take on this ? I feel as though it could be a good thing but can be equally a disaster.

I have fathers and sons work for me and generally it’s a success. There has been times where the fathas have been a bit hard on the boys out of frustration more than anything else , and they certainly would have not spoke to a run of the mill lad like they’ve spoke to their son, other side of the coin sons have been sheltered massively and kept under their fathas wings for decades.All and all, once the lads have grasped what they should be doing it’s been great.

From my families point of view people are shocked when they find out my son has nothing to do with the business “ is he mad ‘ is the general feedback I get. I’ve offered him a lot of money to come on board but he’s his own man and he enjoys his own career path which I’ve always encouraged with my kids.
Our lass is Head of Accounts and Finace And my P.A Which I’ve got to have, as the figures at times are eye watering. Someone could be skimming thousands off me and i wouldn’t have a clue until it was too late. I wouldn’t like to be physically working with her, as that would be crap.
Even though she’s keeping an eye on the money and sorting wages, tax etc she hasn’t much of a clue what goes on day to day and she knows not to ask, I like to come in on a tea time and switch off completely.

Ive employed family before to work onsite , thought they could toss it off and when I’ve sacked them it was a nightmare. Never again.

I’ve got a mate who’s life ambition was to get a job with their lass as a Porter at the General, he eventually managed to do that. Absolutely loves it. Imagine that man , ffs :lol:

What’s others experience of working with family and would you like to do it ?

Start a business with someone you hate rather than family, it’ll be quicker.

I think it depends... I could have and kind of did work with my father because I had respect for him and he could tell me what to do and I'd do it.
My Mother... we trained / practiced together and that was demanding on both of us and led to massive flare ups but we were working on music so I suppose to be expected.
Siblings... hmmm... I worked with one but he was robbing the place blind and so I got thr sack along with him understandably even though I wasn't doing anything. I couldn't work with my older brother, well I could but he couldn't work with me and my youngest brother would absolutely hate working with me and I with him as we are polar opposites.

I worked with my middle sister a bit and she loved that as she hates me and she was above me... didn't bother me, she's always been like that.

My older sister is barely able to manage simple structure on the daily so I'd rather no work with her physically but intellectually we could work well for short spells.

However, if we had to we could work together and do when needs must but needs must really must for us to put aside sibling stuff and concentrate on the important stuff.

I think it is easier for a parent to work with a child as there is an innate understanding of who is in charge but with unconditional love bolstering it.

Ower lass was also in the ambulance service and we have done a few shifts together when we have been saving up for stuff but very occasionally. All my other family members are over 400 miles away

Ower lass was also in the ambulance service and we have done a few shifts together when we have been saving up for stuff but very occasionally. All my other family members are over 400 miles away
Some smart women ambulance drivers I’ve noticed.

I imagine in the emergency services like police and ambulance drivers, where couples are sat / working together all day it’s rife.

Met the Mrs at work. So not a weird thing for us. That said not worked together for 12 years and could be a lot different now. Basically comes down to professionalism - if you're the sort of people who can leave your personal lives and feelings at the door you'll be fine.

I wouldn’t want to work with immediate family. I remember my previous workplace had a husband and wife who pretty much had the same job. They’d work the exact same hours etc. Without offending Mrs A I think I’d go mad in that scenario!

Back